Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Low Carb Meals for 1? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/800717-low-carb-meals-1-a.html)

tyler43836 03-30-2013 02:29 PM

Low Carb Meals for 1?

Is there a thread somewhere? Any suggestions?
I'm so tired of cooking and freezing and then forgetting to thaw! Need some emergency meals for 1.....there's a very tempting taco stand around the corner!

Nigel 03-30-2013 05:25 PM

I hear ya.

I don't know if there is a thread, but there should be if there isn't. I don't recall seeing one lately.

For easy tacos, just buy the bag of pre-cooked chicken or beef fajitas (walmart super store has them) and some low carb wraps. You can even buy pre-made guacamole and salsa too or it's easy to make small batches of them. The meat comes in zip lock type bags and will keep in the fridge a while if you really love tacos.

I don't have a lot of recipes cuz I'm a fly by the seat of my pants type of cook and mostly just make things up as I go.

You can get pre-made hamburger patties and small steaks and even small packages of most meats that you can cook up easily with a few spices.

Hopefully, someone with a lot of recipes will post here for you.

Another thing, when I do make recipes, I usually half, third, or quarter the recipe so I won't have to freeze the leftovers. And also, if it's the first time I try a recipe, then I don't waste a lot of ingredients if I don't care for it.

tyler43836 03-30-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 16345327)
I hear ya.

I don't know if there is a thread, but there should be if there isn't. I don't recall seeing one lately.

For easy tacos, just buy the bag of pre-cooked chicken or beef fajitas (walmart super store has them) and some low carb wraps. You can even buy pre-made guacamole and salsa too or it's easy to make small batches of them. The meat comes in zip lock type bags and will keep in the fridge a while if you really love tacos.

I don't have a lot of recipes cuz I'm a fly by the seat of my pants type of cook and mostly just make things up as I go.

You can get pre-made hamburger patties and small steaks and even small packages of most meats that you can cook up easily with a few spices.

Hopefully, someone with a lot of recipes will post here for you.

Another thing, when I do make recipes, I usually half, third, or quarter the recipe so I won't have to freeze the leftovers. And also, if it's the first time I try a recipe, then I don't waste a lot of ingredients if I don't care for it.

Hope so. I can't get low carb wraps down here, so hunger and nothing quick takes me to the high carb tortillas.

bacon bit 03-30-2013 07:49 PM

I keep frozen bags of chicken or steak (pre-cooked). I realize that's frozen, but it's only a few minutes to thaw since it's been pre-cooked. I don't do wraps, but they are really good in a romaine leaf with rooster sauce drizzled on top.

Ocean 03-31-2013 06:14 AM

This is really simple, but I recently discovered precooked chicken strips dipped in sugar free barbeque sauce.

tinamanni 03-31-2013 06:32 AM

Enchilada Stuffed mushrooms are a favorite of mine when the hubby is gone. It's easy to make a smaller recipe. I cook them in the enchilada sauce and add ground turkey or ground beef.

Tuna Cakes are super easy to make for yourself

I like portabella mushroom pizzas - cut off the stem, layer on tomato (or sauce), cheese and toppings of your choice. Bake until done

I make double batches of oopsie rolls and make grilled cheeses out of them - sometimes typical but sometimes they end up more panini like.

tyler43836 03-31-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinamanni (Post 16345825)
Enchilada Stuffed mushrooms are a favorite of mine when the hubby is gone. It's easy to make a smaller recipe. I cook them in the enchilada sauce and add ground turkey or ground beef.

Tuna Cakes are super easy to make for yourself

I like portabella mushroom pizzas - cut off the stem, layer on tomato (or sauce), cheese and toppings of your choice. Bake until done

I make double batches of oopsie rolls and make grilled cheeses out of them - sometimes typical but sometimes they end up more panini like.

WOW...those Stuffed mushrooms look awesome! and the Tuna cakes, I totally forgot about those!:shake:

buttoni 03-31-2013 07:07 AM

Individual Lime Cake (2 servings)

Here's a quick little delicious lime cake. Of course, you can sub in orange or lemon juice/zest to change it into a totally different cake each time:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...nbutt/0011.jpg
INGREDIENTS:

1 T. melted butter, unsalted
2 eggs, beaten
Few drops of Boyajian lime oil (or 1/4 tsp. lime extract, or 1T. lime juice)
1 tsp. grated lime zest
2 T. golden flax meal
2 T. almond flour
2 tsp. oat fiber
6 drops liquid Splenda
2 pkts. stevia sweetener
tsp. baking powder

DIRECTIONS: In a 4″ ramekin, cereal bowl, or individual cake pan, melt the butter in a microwave for 30 seconds. I used a latex 5″ mini cake pan.

Beat in the eggs, liquid Splenda and lemon oil. Add lime zest and stir again. Now add dry ingredients and stir until batter is smooth. Microwave on HI for about 1 minute 10 seconds or until done in the center. Tip out onto plate, cool before frosting. Garnish with a bit of grated lime zest and serve.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 1 cake (actually 2 servings). The entire cake contains:

337 calories
29.5 g fat
14.1 g carbs, 9.5 g fiber, 4.6 g NET CARBS
12 g protein
571 mg sodium
24% RDA Vitamin A, 28% B12, 31% calcium, 26% copper, 37% iron, 20% magnesium, 21& manganese, 41% phosphorous, 24% riboflavin, 35% selenium, 25% thiamin, 15% zinc, 191 mg potassium

LIME FROSTING:

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
Liquid Splenda to taste (took about 12 drops for me)
Grated zest of 1 lime
Juice of 1 lime (or more, depending on your taste)

tinamanni 03-31-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler43836 (Post 16345846)
WOW...those Stuffed mushrooms look awesome!

she also has recipes for Pizza stuffed mushrooms and blue cheese filled, bacon wrapped mushrooms

I haven't tried these yet but they are in my "to try" folder. I love having mushrooms as a "meal" like this because it's an easy way to get in the 2 cups of salad veggies - and I am so sick of salads haha

Chocolate Rose 03-31-2013 08:52 AM

Not terribly exciting, but my go-to meal when I'm starving is eggs and bacon.
Crack Slaw is another one. I always have ground turkey on hand and try to have a bag of shredded cabbage, too.
Chicken wings and chicken thighs are another favorite. They take a bit longer, but are worth it.
Crustless Quiche is another easy one. Kind of a variation on bacon and eggs.
I also keep hot dogs in the freezer for when I need something super quick.
I buy a Costco roast chicken several times a month. I use the bones to make broth (I have bone broth with cream every morning for breakfast). I eat the thighs and legs for meals. I usually turn the breast meat into chicken salad.
You can quickly put together a taco salad if you have ground meat in the freezer and cheese and salad greens in the fridge. If you have sour cream and/or avocados, it's even better.
Frozen cooked shrimp is awesome warmed in a pan with butter and garlic, and then sprinkled with shredded cheese.
I don't particularly like frozen left-overs, so I try to keep my freezer and fridge stocked with foods that I can quickly put together.
Egg Drop Soup is also quick and easy to throw together if you have chicken broth on hand. As I mentioned, I make it every week but I also keep the boxes of Costco's organic broth on hand.
Our Albertson's has a buy-one-get-one free package of steak deal every week. I stock up and wrap them individually and freeze so that I can pull out just one at a time. I just saute the steak and usually top it with boursin or some other kind of cheese.
And, I've recently started keeping the Atkins frozen meals in my freezer for those times that I'm hungry and don't want to even think about cooking. I add additional fat to them, but I'm thrilled to have an already prepared meal available that I can eat.

Nigel 03-31-2013 01:45 PM

That lime cake sounds delicious!!

I also make jalapeno fudge: If you don't like it hot, you can substitute a small can of green chilies. You can make variations by adding chopped black olives, sauteed onions or bell peppers, etc. This keeps in the fridge for at least a week and to reheat, just get a couple of pieces and nuke about 20 seconds.

Jalapeno Fudge:

4 eggs, beaten
1 lb grated cheddar or any other cheese you like
2 jalapenos, chopped

Mix it all together and put in a "glass" baking dish. Glass works the best.
Bake at 325 for about an hour. Check it at 45 minutes. It will get a little browned on top, but if you don't want it brown, lightly cover it with foil the last half hour. 8x8 baking dish or the next smaller size works too. I use the pyrex kind that is a little smaller than the 8x8, but I don't know the size of it.

Let it cool completely and then cut into squares just like fudge.
It's a great snack or side dish of protein for any meal. I often have some for breakfast with more eggs.

Note: You can half the recipe, but use a pan half the size and the cooking time will be half also.

p.s. I know you want fast meals, but this can be made in advance and it only takes a couple of minutes to mix it up and then you have it for several servings.

walkingwoman 04-01-2013 10:07 PM

I've been on a salmon/fresh spinach kick. I buy a large filet of salmon, then cut into indy portions, put in sandwich bags and then into a big ziploc freezer bag for storage. To defrost quickly I just take a piece out of the freezer and put in a glass of water for a few minute. To cook, I use a pan that has a steamer basket, fill it with water, put half a bag of spinach in the steamer pan topped with a piece of salmon seasoned however you like ( i use dill, lemon and capers most of the time), put the lid on the pan and steam for 10 minutes. Perfection.

loripetnut 04-05-2013 10:36 AM

I've been working on a few LC no sugar recipes on my own, and have had some success with meals for one. Maybe one of these will work for you tyler43836?

LORI’S MEAT LOAF
Meatloaf:
1/2 lb lean hamburger
1/4 cup almond meal
1 TB worcheshire
3 TB lowcarb ketchup
small onion, minced
1 Tsp italian seasoning
1 Tsp parsley flakes
1 egg
pinch garlic powder
Glaze:
2 TB lowcarb ketchup
1 TB worcheshire
Mix all together well and shape into a loaf in a 7x5 1/2x2 pan. Top with glaze. Microwave on high, lightly covered, 8-10 minutes until done. Makes 2 servings. This does freeze pretty well.

SESAME CHICKEN SAUCE
makes enough to coat one chicken breast

3TB soy sauce
1 TB toasted sesame oil
2 Tsp crushed fresh garlic (or sub some garlic powder)
chopped scallions (sub a small onion, minced)
1 Tsp ground ginger
1/2 Tsp black pepper
2 Tsp splenda
1 Tsp of apple cider vinegar
some toasted sesame seeds (optional)

Just mixed it up in a glass bowl, nuked it for about 2 minutes, added my veggies, nuked it some more, and added my meat to it and tossed like a salad to mix it all up. Used a double recipe so my veggies were nicely coated too. Recipe may be doubled, tripled, or quadrupled easily. Also excellent on pork chops or burgers.

LORI’S ORANGE-GINGER SAUCE
1 tsp ground ginger
2 TB soy sauce (look for low salt no carb)
2 TB toasted sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp orange extract
1 tsp splenda
Mix all ingredients well, add to meat and veggies last two minutes of cooking. Make sure sauce bubbles a bit if you're using imitation orange extract, to get rid of the alchohol aftertaste.

ALMOND FLOUR PANCAKES
Yield: Six 4-inch pancakes

Ingredients:
3/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup whey protein powder, plain
1 TB baking powder
2 eggs
1/4 cup sparkling water (in a pinch you can sub diet Sierra Mist and reduce splenda)
2 TB oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 TB sweetener
1/4 Tsp cinnamon
Mix ingredients together and cook as you would other pancakes. I like to use a nonstick pan with a little oil. The only real difference is that they won't "bubble" on top nearly as much in as regular pancakes. Flip them when the underside is brown.

Serve with sugar-free maple syrup, Easy Three Berry Syrup, strawberry topping, or other low carb topping. (I eat them with butter and splenda sprinkled on top)