Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Low Carb/Low Cal turkey meatballs (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/800712-low-carb-low-cal-turkey-meatballs.html)

sorenkkg 03-30-2013 01:09 PM

Low Carb/Low Cal turkey meatballs

I can never find a meatball recipe without breadcrumbs :mad: so I made this up and ran it through mastercook-- they're in the oven now, look/smell pretty good!

Ingredients:
1 pkgs lilidale/kirkland extra lean ground turkey (mine weighed 39oz together)
1 large egg
1/4c grated parmesan
1T dehydrated onion flakes
2tsp garlic powder
2tsp poultry seasoning (or whatever you like)
2T parsley flakes
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350, and line a shallow baking tray with foil, and spray with non-stick spray or spray oil, lightly. You could add a sheet of parchment paper over the foil, that would be good too :)

Mix all the ingredients together really really well. This counts as exercise ;)

Use a 2T measuring spoon, or a 1/8th cup measuring cup, and scoop out a level amount of the mix. Roll into a ball, place on tray, keep going till you have 28 balls (that's how many mine made).

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until cooked through.

Nutrition info:
per 1 meatball when you make 28 meatballs:
55 cal
total fat=2g
32mg cholesterol
46mg sodium
trace carb =0g.
0g fiber
8g protein
negligible other nutrients, 3% of your daily iron.

If you made 30, it would be closer to 51 cals per ball... and if you use regular ground turkey, it's more like 60 cals per ball.

:) S.

Kimmietoo 03-30-2013 01:53 PM

Thanks, Soren! They sound delicious!

Strawberry 03-30-2013 02:26 PM

Awesome! Let us know how they turned out!

I made some chicken meatballs using Parmesan cheese as my "filler" like in this recipe and they turned out really yummy.

sorenkkg 03-31-2013 10:18 PM

They smelled great cooking, and are quite good. I should have added some salt... Ah well.
I'm using them in salad, but the flavor is versatile and would go with tomato sauce, or anything. The portion size is good, not to big or small, easy to make, quick too.

watcher513 03-31-2013 10:54 PM

I believe a lot of people also add in crushed up pork rinds along with parmesan.

marieze 04-01-2013 08:37 AM

I make something similar with fresh garlic, ginger, green onion, fish sauce and tamari which is kinda like a turkey thai meatball then a peanut sauce or dipping. I had never used ground turkey before and it really is delicious and versatile! Let us now how they turn out!!

sorenkkg 04-01-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watcher513 (Post 16347267)
I believe a lot of people also add in crushed up pork rinds along with parmesan.

yep, but I'm watching calories too, so I didn't do that with these. Not sure how much it adds to the texture (IMO) but I know they're trying to substitute for bread/breadcrumbs, since those lighten things up a bit.

I'm ok without them, though if anyone wanted to tweak that way, be sure to add the calories! :)
S.

Patience 04-01-2013 05:12 PM

Maybe try coconut flour too. That was recommended for salmon cakes on another thread and might worth a try in meatballs too. Well I am not much of a cook, so who knows?

I think your recipe sounds delish.