Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Kale Chips (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/800536-kale-chips.html)

canadiangirl 03-28-2013 10:27 AM

Kale Chips

1 Attachment(s)
Okay so I know this is not the only kale chip thread but after browsing them I did not come up with this recipe. It is amazing and I dare everyone to try it that claims to not like kale chips! I have an 8 year old daughter that unfortunately is all about junk food and after trying these chips she is bugging to take them to school for snacks!

1 c sunflower seeds (shelled) soaked for 10 minutes
1 red pepper chopped
2/3c nutritional yeast
Tsp salt
2 tbs lemon juice
1/4 c water
1/4 c olive oil

Blend in a good blender until thick and creamy (add a bit more oil, water, or even a splash of acv to help blend)
Prepare kale by washing, dryinng, and then tearing leafy green from the spine. Leave pieces pretty big. In a bowl poor red pepper mixture over leaves and massage in until it coats all the leaves, front and back. Place in dehydrator until crisp. I sprinkled a little ranch popcorn seasoning on my last batch when it was done and it was amazing. The nutritional yeast gives it a crunchy cheezy coating. This batch that I am doing now I sprinkled some garlic powder on it and I added 1.5 red peper and it smells so good.

LastRick 03-28-2013 12:40 PM

Other than the sunflower seeds (I use peanut butter), this is basically my recipe too. The key is the nutritional yeast. I was making it without at first and the difference due to that one ingredient is amazing. For the record, I use an immersion blender and it comes out fine. Nice recipe!

rosethorns 07-19-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadiangirl (Post 16341351)
Okay so I know this is not the only kale chip thread but after browsing them I did not come up with this recipe. It is amazing and I dare everyone to try it that claims to not like kale chips! I have an 8 year old daughter that unfortunately is all about junk food and after trying these chips she is bugging to take them to school for snacks!

1 c sunflower seeds (shelled) soaked for 10 minutes
1 red pepper chopped
2/3c nutritional yeast
Tsp salt
2 tbs lemon juice
1/4 c water
1/4 c olive oil

Blend in a good blender until thick and creamy (add a bit more oil, water, or even a splash of acv to help blend)
Prepare kale by washing, dryinng, and then tearing leafy green from the spine. Leave pieces pretty big. In a bowl poor red pepper mixture over leaves and massage in until it coats all the leaves, front and back. Place in dehydrator until crisp. I sprinkled a little ranch popcorn seasoning on my last batch when it was done and it was amazing. The nutritional yeast gives it a crunchy cheezy coating. This batch that I am doing now I sprinkled some garlic powder on it and I added 1.5 red peper and it smells so good.

This looks so good. I wanted to try a different way . Thanks

Lilybell2 07-19-2013 10:41 PM

This does sound like a really yummy recipe. I've been looking for something like this. Thanks!

That Girl 07-24-2013 09:11 PM

What is nutritional yeast? Thanks

canadiangirl 08-01-2013 10:19 AM

You can buy it at a bulk food store or health food store. Its cheesy (but not cheese) flakes kinda like parmesan that creates a cheesy, crunchy coating.

rosethorns 08-01-2013 12:04 PM

Vanessa this is awesome. I use nutitional yeast for dairy free cheese.

I love this recipe.

Buffy45 09-01-2013 09:35 AM

Can these be baked? I don't have a dehydrator.

Yaz 09-01-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffy45 (Post 16584542)

Yes Kale Chips can be baked. You can also make Spinach chips too!

rosethorns 09-01-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffy45 (Post 16584542)

Buffy I have baked other kale recipes and it's 15 mins. at 350 degrees.

It should work with this one. check after 10 mins. but it may take longer.

I hope that helps. You don't want them to get black.

miboje 09-02-2013 12:49 PM

This reminds of a raw kale chip recipe I used when doing the raw food diet. If it's anything like that, it's pretty awesome! The recipe was for raw Doritos and used raw cashews rather than sunflower seeds, but I bet it is extremely similar. They were so good that I had a hard time keeping my kids out of them. :>)

dianafoot 09-15-2013 08:38 AM

Okay, I tried making kale chips for the third and final time. I used the above sunflower/nutritional yeast mixture and followed the recipe exactly. Made sure the kale was very fresh, and not too mature. I am sorry, I just hated the flavor of concentrated kale! And I grew up eating every kind of green and have some form of greens (including kale) several times a week.

However, that said, the sunflower/nutritional yeast mixture made the best dip I've ever had-- I added a little more lemon juice, and used it as a dip for raw veggies--amazing!

rosethorns 09-15-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 16605075)
Okay, I tried making kale chips for the third and final time. I used the above sunflower/nutritional yeast mixture and followed the recipe exactly. Made sure the kale was very fresh, and not too mature. I am sorry, I just hated the flavor of concentrated kale! And I grew up eating every kind of green and have some form of greens (including kale) several times a week.

However, that said, the sunflower/nutritional yeast mixture made the best dip I've ever had-- I added a little more lemon juice, and used it as a dip for raw veggies--amazing!

:hyst: I feel the same way about basil. I'm sure it's just me. I understand the kale thing.

I love the dip idea Diana. I do love it on the kale chips but a dip sounds good too. Thanks

My sister is not too sure of it either. Kale that is.

dianafoot 09-15-2013 05:18 PM

odd thing is, I love kale just steamed until tender and dressed with a little salt and pepper and olive oil. I just don't like the flavor of the chips--too concentrated and bitter.