Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Trishagrrl
Crunchy Top on Brownie

Hey guys,

So, I've been working on making brownies lately. I've got a recipe I really really like - the taste is perfect, but I want that crunchy top that you get on some brownies. Any insight? Is this possible with brownies that are sweetened with xylitol and stevia and use almond flour?
Trishagrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I don't know of a way to get that same crunch, but you can get a different sort of crunch by sprinkling the top with crystal xylitol at some point during the baking, I think. I do this with my flax muffins sometimes, using erythritol crystals. I wait, because putting it on before baking causes it to melt in. nice but not crunchy. you have to figure the right time when it will be on them long enough to totally melt, but not early enough to mix with moisture coming out during the baking... good luck.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
Pretty sure the crunchy top is mostly due to sugar, and probably a little due to the reaction of the sugar/flour when it melts and then sets back up. I don't think xylitol gives you quite that caramelization that sugar does. You *may* be able to get a similar texture if you were to add polyd or inulin, and another form of "flour"... something finer than almond meal.
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
You could melt some erythritol in a small saucepan (it just takes a few minutes), and pour it over your cooked and cooled brownies. That's what I do with my creme brulee with the addition of a couple of drops of molasses. It's hard to tell from the real thing.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Any chance you'll share your recipe? I'm still trying to find THE best brownie recipe.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
Any chance you'll share your recipe? I'm still trying to find THE best brownie recipe.
I would be interested in it also!
judytab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Sure thing! It's on my blog I never was able to figure out the crunchy top, but they're still quite tasty. Especially with a big dollop of real whipped cream! Rich & Delicious, Gluten-Free Sugar-Free Brownies
Old 04-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishagrrl View Post
Sure thing! It's on my blog I never was able to figure out the crunchy top, but they're still quite tasty. Especially with a big dollop of real whipped cream! Rich & Delicious, Gluten-Free Sugar-Free Brownies
Oh, my gosh, Trish, just looking at the recipe ingredients is making my mouth water. I will definitely be giving these a try next weekend. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh, my gosh, Trish, just looking at the recipe ingredients is making my mouth water. I will definitely be giving these a try next weekend. Thanks for sharing!
Hope they turn out good for you
Old 04-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hope they turn out good for you
Me too!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
Unfortunately, dizneegirl is right, the crunchy top on brownies is from some of the sugar melting and recrystalizing. The effect is discussed in the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion and they tell you how to do it. But I doubt you could get it to work with a sugar alcohol or sweet fiber because they are all too hygroscopic (water attracting) and none of them crystalize into quite the right size particles. PolyD does make for an interesting chewy substance when you try to make frosting from it.
solarpluvia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/206/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I wonder if tagatose would work, as it caramelizes like sugar.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I made your brownies today and LOVE them! This is the first sweet baked item I've made with almond flour that wasn't heavy and dense. These were fudgy and perfect. I used erythritol instead of xylitol. And, I added 1/2 of a 90% cacao bar that I had broken into pieces. The chocolate pieces completely melted into the brownie instead of being like chocolate chips, but they just added to the deep chocolaty flavor. I only made half the recipe and am now wishing I had made the full recipe. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I made your brownies today and LOVE them! This is the first sweet baked item I've made with almond flour that wasn't heavy and dense. These were fudgy and perfect. I used erythritol instead of xylitol. And, I added 1/2 of a 90% cacao bar that I had broken into pieces. The chocolate pieces completely melted into the brownie instead of being like chocolate chips, but they just added to the deep chocolaty flavor. I only made half the recipe and am now wishing I had made the full recipe. Thanks for sharing!!
So glad to hear they turned out good! Always nice to know they turn out well for someone other than me

The cacao bar would have been totally chocolate overkill for me! I'm not a huge chocolate person, but my kids probably would have loved that. I actually really really liked the brownie batter. I could sit and eat that and feel like I was being super naughty
Old 04-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The cacao bar would have been totally chocolate overkill for me!
Chocolate overkill?? No way!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

So, I modified this a little bit and used it as a crust for a peanut butter cheesecake and then put ganache over the top.... oh my gosh. Amazing! I can't believe it turned out so perfect on my first try!