Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   George Stella Cookbooks (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/800352-george-stella-cookbooks.html)

natural_born_texan 03-26-2013 08:46 AM

George Stella Cookbooks

Does anybody have any of the George Stella cookbooks? If so, what are your thoughts on them? Any favorites, any recipes not recommended??

muncheechee 03-26-2013 06:32 PM

I have Eating Stella Style and I have lots of recipes flagged to try but haven't made many yet even though I've had the book forever. I tend look for recipes online forget about my cookbooks. The ones I have made are yummy... I always use his foolproof hollandaise sauce recipe because it's so easy and tasty.

jmc305 03-26-2013 09:46 PM

HUGE Stella fan, here. His cinnamon/flax/almond pancakes are out of this world. He has a ton of awesome recipes that are in constant rotation at my house. I have 3 of his cookbooks. I like the way his books are written and laid out. Very easy to follow and usually has a story about where the recipe came from. The only negative things that I would say is that in his earlier cookbooks, he used soy flour for some of his recipes which I don't care for. He is also pretty heavy on the fruit, which may be too many carbs for some.

His newer books seem to be oriented more towards "Stella style" which is his way of saying HOMEMADE, FRESHLY prepared ingredients. Forget the processed crap and don't obsess about counting every little thing. Fill your kitchen with healthy foods, take the time to cook for yourself, and the rest will take care of itself. He doesn't insist that his readers follow a certain fat requirement either. He often has a high-fat and low-fat option for his recipes. I like his approach. Simple, no nonsense, but still really tasty.

No, I am not George Stella and I don't work for him, although I wish I did. :) I highly recommend his books.

sharkini 03-27-2013 06:34 PM

I have his Livin' Low Carb cookbook and have made many of the recipes. All very good. My favorite is Stella Style NY Ricotta Cheesecake, so delish! It bakes up tall and doesn't have any funky taste, it's perfect. He does use soy flour in some of the baked goods, which I avoid since I went soy free a few years ago. But really the cheesecake recipe itself was worth the cost of the book!

Kateee 03-28-2013 04:39 AM

My favorite one is his Livin' Low Carb too :) Which my local library has, and I check it out every now and then. Wish I bought that one.

I bought the Eating Stella Style instead....I haven't made any recipes from it, have had it for a few years now.

RileyWorm 03-28-2013 07:37 PM

Another vote for Livin' Low Carb. Agree that the cheesecake is THE BOMB. I have another but don't like it quite as well because he uses lower fat substitutes, but you can just use the full fat versions. I also downloaded one he had for free a while back off the website. I think they are good for the sweets and snacks recipes. I HIGHLY recommend. :)

Wishin 03-29-2013 09:01 AM

I have all of his cook books and love them. I use recipes from them all the time. I don't do a lot of the ones with soy flour because we just don't like the taste. I try to sub something else in place of it. I agree with sharkini about the cheesecake. Love it.

debstin 04-02-2013 07:25 PM

Have his Livin Low Carb. Haven't had it too long. Love his Roast Beef recipe, barbeque sauce,cranberry relish,jicama fries,blueberry pancakes and mock mashed potatoes. That's all i have tried so far.

Beezer Louisiana 04-02-2013 07:29 PM

I did something that called for 'soy flour' breading of pork chops and . . . I guess I just don't like soy flour.

I've re-done it with just almond flour mixed with the Parmesan cheese in the clear and green container, added some garlic powder and italian seasoning and rathered that.

I have several of his cookbooks -- thanks for reminding me! I should look at them again and just skip over the ones with soy flour.