Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitcub
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/19/09...this time
Easter get-together

So, my husband and I are joining his family for Easter dinner and I have offered to make a dessert. Both in-laws are on Atkins, but hubby and his 3 sisters don't low-carb. What would you recommend as the best dessert to make? I don't want to have to travel all over for lots of expensive specialty ingredients. I want something the low carbers won't feel too guilty about eating and the non-lowcarbers will love. I was thinking maybe a cheesecake with a ground almond crust and fresh berries. Anybody got any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
Start Date: August (this time around)
Cheesecake! There are several great LC recipes out there. Dont forget the whipped cream!
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I bet the SF cheesecake with the almond crust would be a hit I'd just watch the berries since they're pretty carby, unless they're something you're used to fitting in your diet and don't care so much about. I personally love them, but I know if I eat too many I'll be in trouble

Another one I've seen people do is a frozen SF Cool Whip and SF Jello pudding pie. You can serve it from the fridge too but obviously it's not going to be quite as firm, LOL. I'm pretty sure people just make a LC crust like you were talking about, and then fold the packet of SF Jello pudding mix (whatever flavor you like, I always enjoyed pistachio) into the Cool Whip. I used to mix in some crushed pineapple too, but that's obviously not LC... but if it was in your plan you could probably fold berries into certain flavors of that too! I really haven't made one since changing my WOE, but they were awfully good
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
Start Date: 1/1/2013
LC cheesecake would be my first choice. Another option would be a LC trifle with SF pudding, whip cream, oopsie roll cubes and maybe some berries. You could make it very pretty and colorful. Good luck!
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Cheesecake is great, and another possibility for you is the flourless chocolate cake.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
The Chicken Lady's fudge cake or her carrot cake are big hits around here. Lemon bars with an almond crust and SF lemon curd are terrific. A fruit tart with an almond crust and LC spread with sweetened cream cheese, topped with LC fruit (strawberries, blueberries, etc.) and then glazed with a thinned LC/SF jelly or jam is always good too.

We're making LC/SF strawberry shortcakes this year - I think last year I made a flourless chocolate raspberry cake with a beautiful chocolate ganache.

So many good recipes, so little time! And heck yeah, cheesecake is always good!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
Start Date: January 31, 2003
This is such a wonderful cheesecake recipe - I make it often for company and it is always a big hit.

Here's a link to see a picture of it on Linda Sue's website:
BAVARIAN APPLE CHEESECAKE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

And here's the recipe:

BAVARIAN APPLE CHEESECAKE
Crust:
1/3 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup Carbalose flour *

Filling:
16 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granular Splenda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

Topping:
2 cups granny smith apples, peeled and sliced, 8 ounces (don't slice too thin)
1/3 cup granular Splenda (do not use liquid Splenda)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup sliced almonds, 1 ounce

In a medium bowl, beat the first 3 crust ingredients on medium speed; stir in the flour until a soft dough forms. Pat onto the bottom and just slightly up sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.

Place the apples in a single layer on a baking sheet. You may want to line it with a silicone liner because the apples will stick. Cover with foil and bake at 400║ 15 minutes. **

Meanwhile, in the same medium bowl that you used for the crust, beat the cream cheese, 1/2 cup Splenda and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until fluffy. Add the eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour into the prepared pan. Arrange the warm apples atop the filling.

In a small bowl, mix 1/3 cup granular Splenda and cinnamon. Sprinkle the almonds evenly over the apples, then cover with the cinnamon-Splenda mixture. It will seem like an awful lot of cinnamon mixture, but you'll be glad that you put it all on there. Bake at 400║ 40 minutes until golden brown. Cool, then remove the sides of the pan. I didn't like the dry, powdery look of the granular Splenda on top so I sprayed it lightly with a water mister to melt the Splenda. Chill at least 4 hours before serving.

Makes about 8-12 servings
Can be frozen

* I haven't tried this myself yet, but I've heard that you can substitute Carbquik for the Carbalose flour. I haven't calculated the counts though, but they should be similar.

** I've discovered an easier method for cooking the apples. Place the apple slices in a single layer in a glass 9x13" baking dish. Microwave on HIGH about 4 minutes or until softened and somewhat limp.

With granular Splenda:
Per 1/8: 384 Calories; 33g Fat; 11g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 10g Net Carbs
Per 1/12: 256 Calories; 22g Fat; 7g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per 1/8: 374 Calories; 33g Fat; 11g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 8g Net Carbs
Per 1/12: 249 Calories; 22g Fat; 7g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

This is my low carb version of a wonderful cheesecake recipe from my cousin, Laurie. All I did was substitute Splenda for the sugar and use Carbalose flour instead of regular flour in the crust. I also reduced the amount of apples by 2 cups to save carbs. This has got to be about the best low carb dessert I've ever eaten. No one will know that this is low carb, especially if you top it with some whipped cream or Whipped Topping (not included in carb counts). There is just enough apple to give it the right flavor, but not enough to be outrageously high in carbs. They add just 2-3 net carbs per serving. The crust is nice and flaky and this dessert reminds me of a cross between apple strudel and apple Danish. The cheese filling isn't overly sweet, so you may want to add a touch more sweetener if you like your cheesecake sweeter. Between the Whipped Topping and the sweet cinnamony apples, I don't think it really needs to be sweeter
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wishin
I am going to my sisters and they are all non-low carbers but my family is. I am going to make stuffed strawberries with lc chocloate drizzled over them. I stuff with Mascarpone cheese mixed with liquid lc sweetner to taste and a couple drops of almond extract. On some I will add grated orange peel to the cheese. Then I slit the strawberry and add the cheese. Then drizzle melted lc chocloate over them, also use white lc chocloate and orange lc chocolate if I can find it. I figure if they don't like it - oh well. I know thats terrible but I have tried other desserts and they didn't go over very well. Good Luck and Happy Easter.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Cheesecake for sure! I topped my last one with raspberries. I just melted a TBS of sf jelly and tossed the berries with it then spooned them on top of the cheesecake. Nobody even realized it was sugar free and crustless!

Last edited by pocahontas; 03-29-2013 at 04:35 PM..
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I am making chicken lady's carrot cake. It is awesome.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
I always make lemon curd parfaits. Make one batch of low carb lemon curd, then layer that with heavy whipped cream and berries. It's lovely and everyone loves it.

For my lemon curd, I use these ratios (I like it tart!)
2 whole eggs
2 yolks
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup sweetener (I use erythritol + stevia mix--most folks would like it sweeter, but the heavy cream cuts the tartness a lot)
Mix together, heat over low heat, stirring the entire time, until it thickens. Cool. No need for butter if you're layering with cream.

For my heavy cream, I whip 1 cup heavy cream with 1 T erythritol and a little vanilla.
For the berries, I thaw and drain a few cups of frozen raspberries from the summer, and stir in a little stevia to taste.

Layered in martini glasses, this is lovely and delicious and looks like you slaved over it for hours.

For tomorrow's easter dinner, I bought a sponge layer. For the carby folks, I'll spread a recipe of lemon curd over the sponge layer, then add a layer of berries and top with whipped cream. For me, I'll do the parfait.

You can also do a lovely lemon mousse by folding one cup of whipped cream into the lemon curd. Top with a little more whipped cream and some berries, and add some cookies for the carby guests.

Last edited by tiva; 03-30-2013 at 07:35 AM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote