Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Cajun Crawfish on "Pasta"

Dinner's creation tonight came out real tasty! Quick it was, too!

I set out to make shrimp scampi for dinner tonight, but noticed the package of crawfish tails in my freezer and decided “Why not?”. I also just made a fresh batch of breakfast sausage yesterday and it was staring up at me in the fridge. So I decided to include a touch of that as well. My sausage recipe basically consists of 1 lb. lean ground pork and a pinch of my Dad’s poultry seasoning, salt and black pepper. I always have some made up. I was originally going to call it Crawfish Scampi, but that name is usually associated with shrimp and langoustines. Then I thought about Crawfish Spaghetti, but spaghetti always evokes a red sauce for me. So my husband offered the name I settled upon above, as Louisiana Cajun cooking often mixes sausage and seafood together. This dish is suitable for Atkins Induction if the wine is omitted. It would also be suitable for Paleo-Primal diners if the wine is omitted.

INGREDIENTS:

4 oz. ground pork, crumbled, seasoned with a pinch of poultry seasoning (or breakfast sausage)
5 T. unsalted butter
¼ tsp. each salt and black pepper
3 oz. onion, chopped
2 T. chopped shallot
2 large cloves garlic, minced
½ c. parsley, chopped
Pinch each paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper & thyme
1/3 c. white wine
Juice of 1 lemon
12 oz. shelled crawfish tails (I used frozen tails & rinsed off all fat/liquid)
Thickener of your choice (I used 2-3 light dustings of xanthan gum)
2 8-oz. pkgs. shirataki tofu noodles, rinsed

DIRECTIONS: Melt butter in non-stick skillet over high heat. Add onion, shallot, garlic and crumbled pork. Saute until pork is no longer pink and onions are soft. Add parsley and all spices listed. Add wine and lemon juice. Lower heat to medium. Add crawfish tails and set stove to lowest heat. Simmer about 5-10 minutes to allow flavors to mingle. While it is simmering on low, rinse the noodles well in a sieve or colander. Dry them off on a towel and keep covered until ready to plate. Thicken the crawfish mixture a wee bit with your preferred thickener. Dip ¼ of the mixture over ¼ of the “pasta”.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4 servings, each contains:

318 calories
22 g fat
7.43 g carbs, 1.73 g fiber, 5.7 g NET CARBS
20.4 g protein
475 mg sodium
463 mg potassium
48% RDA Vitamin A, 11% B6, 85% B12, 26% C, 11% E, 11% calcium, 71% copper, 20% iron, 12% magnesium, 31% manganese, 15% niacin, 43% phosphorous, 57% selenium, 21% zinc, 25% thiamin

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
WOW! that looks amazing!
I wish I wasnt going back to work tmrw. Will have to wait till next week to make this. I bet it would be good on some spaghetti squash.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I suspect it would. I have a half one in the fridge and might use the leftovers on that and see how I like it. Thanks for that idea, T&R!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote