Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Please tell me how to grow an herb garden...

I tried last year. I bought 4 or 5 plants and put them in a planter in my windowsill and they did terrible ! Not sure if they should have been outside or inside. Maybe I over-watered them ?

Anyone have any luck growing their own ? I would appreciate some tips ! I bought more today
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
indoor herbs are NOT as easy as articles imply. unless you have a LOT of sun on that windowsill and plant the right things, you will not be happy with them. outdoors is better, again, with sun.

the woody plants like rosemary last a long time and tend to be pretty hard to kill. I put thyme and sage in this category, oregano, lavender. do not over water them.

the soft plants like parsley and basil need a lot more water and can die from various fungus attacks and things much more easily. even given the best circumstances, they are not very long lived and if you get them going early in the season might not last all the way through fall. my problem with these is that you generally want a LOT of parsley or basil or cilantro, compared to, say, sage. clipping off a couple of leaves of the woody plants is very practical, but for me, I end up finding it cheaper to just buy things like cilantro in the store. I usually grow several big pots of basil, but don't bother with parsley and cilantro.

but it's fun if they live, so give it a go.

Last edited by ravenrose; 03-19-2013 at 10:56 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
I have aerogardens that I grow them in. you can google it. It's a hydroponic growing system and once you plant the seeds, you don't have to do anything but keep the container with water filled. Check Craigslist if you're interested, I've bought most of mine
there for about $30!

BTW, you plant seeds, not plants & woody plants like lavender and rosemary don't grow well in them, but you can have an abundance of different basils and other herbs and it also grows spring mix lettuce very well. Enough to keep you supplied through the summer. Then you just grow another batch!
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
I have good luck with large pots outside set out round a tree. They seem to need a lot of room for their roots to spread out and plenty of fresh air and sunshine. But they don't seem to like sitting in direct sunlight and they need a good fertilizer.

Of course the winters here are very mild and it never gets cold enough to kill the plants so I'm not sure that would work for everyone.
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Interesting thread.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Well, thanks for all the information ! Chicken Lady, I live in South Texas too..... winter ?? What is that ??

I plan to put them in my planter today - it's beautiful outside and I will use miracle grow soil..... We get lots of direct sun.. will look for a spot that gets shade part of the day.
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I have many herbs that I grow. In TX you should proably have some shade. I lived in Vegas for many years and I use to shade a lot of crops.

Do you know which direction your pots are sitting in ? Direstion means north , south , east or west. The best is south. Esat is morning sun good for herbs.

I have a big garden in WA. I planted my starts for tomatos , leeks , lettuce and others. I have rosemary, mints , etc.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote