Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Fish and No Chips...

I bought some cod yesterday hoping to find a great recipe for fish, as in fish & chips. Can anyone recommend a really good tried and true recipe for this?
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I just made onion ring batter that I posted that would be good on fish. It uses the fantastic flour mix(BTF) if you make that mix. It makes an awesome batter for onion rings, chicken or fish. You could leave out the onion powder or use different seasonings for fish.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16320060
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I just made onion ring batter that I posted that would be good on fish. It uses the fantastic flour mix(BTF) if you make that mix. It makes an awesome batter for onion rings, chicken or fish. You could leave out the onion powder or use different seasonings for fish.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16320060
I can't use any flour mixes. I can use almond flour, coconut flour, flax, etc., but no grains.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Have you checked out the ingredients to the fantastic bake mix, also known as Better Than Flour? It's based on coconut flour. It does have oat fiber, but no oat flour.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Have you checked out the ingredients to the fantastic bake mix, also known as Better Than Flour? It's based on coconut flour. It does have oat fiber, but no oat flour.
Right, no oat fiber for me.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
My go-to for breading fish, aside from the grain-containing Carbquik and LC beer is half crushed pork rinds and half green-can type Parm cheese. Mix together, season if you like, dip fish in beaten egg white, dredge in the "flour" mixture, let sit on a rack in fridge about 30 minutes to set up the coating, then shallow-fry in a little oil of your choice in a frying pan. Don't get the pan too hot, as the cheese will brown faster than regular flour - but it makes a pretty tasty coating. We like it anyway!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
My go-to for breading fish, aside from the grain-containing Carbquik and LC beer is half crushed pork rinds and half green-can type Parm cheese. Mix together, season if you like, dip fish in beaten egg white, dredge in the "flour" mixture, let sit on a rack in fridge about 30 minutes to set up the coating, then shallow-fry in a little oil of your choice in a frying pan. Don't get the pan too hot, as the cheese will brown faster than regular flour - but it makes a pretty tasty coating. We like it anyway!
Thank you!! Unfortunately I finished off my bag of pork rinds for lunch. I've resisted using pork rinds up until now as I remember them from the 70s and tasting horrible. But, I LOVED the ones I just finished off. Now, I'm going to have to be sure that I have a supply on hand. I'll remember your suggestion for the next time.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I finally found something that I can make tonight as I have all the ingredients. It's still an hour or two before I need to start making dinner, so I'm still open to suggestions for tonight.
Here is the one I may end up using. If anyone has tried it, I'd love to know what you think.
I got this from the gourmet girl cooks blog:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Oven Fried Fish Sticks

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Fish & Seafood Low Carb
Quick & Easy

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
About 1 pound of firm white fish (like haddock or halibut) -- cut into 1" sticks
3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 teaspoon Celtic salt or sea salt (or to taste)
Few good grinds of freshly ground black pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Couple dashes of cayenne -- optional
1 teaspoon dried parsley -- rubbed between your palms until powdered
Olive oil -- to brush fish sticks and pan with

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush a foil lined cookie sheet with about one tablespoon or so of olive oil (I use Reynolds non-stick foil). In a shallow bowl, mix almond flour, coconut, and the remaining spices and seasonings and mix well. Place fish sticks on a large plate or cutting board and brush with olive oil; turn over and brush the other side with oil too. Roll the fish sticks, one at a time in the breading/coating mix until completely coated. Lay fish sticks about 1 inch apart on the oiled cookie sheet. Place in the oven and bake about 10-12 minutes; flip over and bake an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown and sizzling. If desired, run briefly under the broiler to brown further. Be careful not to overcook the fish sticks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Old 03-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
I finally found something that I can make tonight as I have all the ingredients. It's still an hour or two before I need to start making dinner, so I'm still open to suggestions for tonight.
Here is the one I may end up using. If anyone has tried it, I'd love to know what you think.

How did this turn out?
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mirinblue
Stats: 248/189/160
WOE: Atkins/hCg/JUDD
Tip for the pork rinds..I buy a giant bag, process the entire bag and put into a zippy bag and into the freezer. That way you always have them and there's no chance of eating the bag up before you need them! And it's easy to just crab a 1/4 cup or whatever you need right out of the bag. Perfect!
mirinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lonestarstamper
Stats: 221/210/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 2011
Does any brand of pork rinds work or is there a huge difference among varieties?
lonestarstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirinblue View Post
Tip for the pork rinds..I buy a giant bag, process the entire bag and put into a zippy bag and into the freezer. That way you always have them and there's no chance of eating the bag up before you need them! And it's easy to just crab a 1/4 cup or whatever you need right out of the bag. Perfect!
I do the same thing
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarstamper View Post
Does any brand of pork rinds work or is there a huge difference among varieties?
Any brand will work but you should taste them before crushing up an entire bag, just to make sure you like the flavor. Some are stronger than others.

I like the hot 'n spicy ones, myself. Usually Bakenettes but Mission rinds are good, as are plenty of others. I got some last week at Grocery Outlet that I really liked - can't recall the brand name at the moment though.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny View Post
How did this turn out?
I actually ended up making it for dinner tonight, and we just finished. It was quite good. The "breading" had a tendency to come off the fish and onto the pancake turner thing when I turned the fish over. I'm not sure how to remedy that. I think that next time I will be more heavy handed on the seasoning. I will definitely make this again.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirinblue View Post
I haven't seen any giant bags of pork rinds. All the bags, no matter the brand, seem to be the same size. I love your idea, though.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SherBel
WOE: Atkins Induction-(esque)
Start Date: Feb 17, 2012
The addition of a bit of whipping cream to the egg mixture under a breading mixture will help the breading adhere to the product. And as Charski said, the time in the fridge for the coating to set up is important too.
SherBel is offline   Reply With Quote