Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Easy peasy poached eggs in coffee filters (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/799560-easy-peasy-poached-eggs-coffee-filters.html)

shipoo 03-16-2013 07:13 PM

Easy peasy poached eggs in coffee filters

1 Attachment(s)
I went to a specialty kitchen store today and found a display of these things called floaties used to poach eggs. There was a portable DVD player set up to show how you could use them. One package was open so people could see what it was and after I looked at it it looked like a coffee filter like the picture below only more egg shaped and elongated. The texture of the product was the same as the cone shaped filters I used for my coffee.

The price was $8.50 for 20. Holy Cow!!! I read the instructions and thought I would try these with coffee filters. So I went home, filled a pot of water upto about half an inch short of the heighth of the coffee filters, set it to boil. Once boiling I placed one of the filters in a glass to keep it open. I broke an egg in it and put it in the boiling water and let it alone. I went on to add two more eggs each in their own coffee filter then turned down the heat to a medium boil and set my timer for 6 minutes as per the original floatie instructions. I did not cover the pot. The coffee filters eventually fell over however by that time the egg had cooked and did not spread out in the water so it stayed in the filter as a nice little package!

WOW! What an easy way to make poached eggs! the shape is not perfectly round but who cares.....I cover my eggs with hollandaise sauce anyway! Once the timer went I just used tongs to remove the package and turned it out so the egg slipped out onto one of ouzoids english muffins. No sticking and easy peasy cleanup of the pot! I recommend this easy way to cook poached eggs especially if you want a dish of them, a lot of them or want eggs benedict!:)

Yaz 03-16-2013 07:51 PM

Stupid question but did you put the glass containing the coffee filter into he pot or did you just put the filter there temporarily to hold it open and then removed it and put the filter and egg only into the pot?

Liz1959 03-16-2013 08:34 PM

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to try this.

Ginaaaaaa 03-16-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaz (Post 16320024)
Stupid question but did you put the glass containing the coffee filter into he pot or did you just put the filter there temporarily to hold it open and then removed it and put the filter and egg only into the pot?

I'm guessing she just used the glass to hold the filter up as she put the egg in it and then took the filter out of the glass and into the pan. Being cone shaped the filter wouldn't stand on its own.

shipoo 03-17-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaz (Post 16320024)

I took the filter out of the cup and placed into the water until the egg was covered. Eventually the rest of the filter absorbs water and it shuts and then later will tip over. By that time the egg has cooked so even if water gets in the egg will stay together.

Deb34 03-19-2013 11:07 AM

how does the egg not stick to the paper coffee filter?

Dixie Barkley 03-21-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb34 (Post 16324752)
how does the egg not stick to the paper coffee filter?

I was wondering the same thing.

shipoo 03-22-2013 08:07 PM

For some reason it just does not stick to the filter!

Nelle Belle 03-23-2013 02:35 PM

Best tip ever! I just made a bunch to keep in fridge. Soo easy.

Yaz 03-30-2013 08:16 AM

Thank you so much for posting this thread! For the first time in my life I was actually able to poach and egg perfectly!

The coffee filters from the dollar store worked awesome! :)

shipoo 03-30-2013 05:57 PM

I am so glad you all like the technique! Now if I can just find farm fresh eggs in my neck of the woods I would be a happy camper.....

Deb34 04-04-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelle Belle (Post 16332509)
Best tip ever! I just made a bunch to keep in fridge. Soo easy.

does this hard boil the eggs or poach them? Poaching to me means the whites are very tender, barely set and the yolks are still liquid, cooked in the poaching liquid.

how would you keep poached eggs in the fridge without them breaking all over each other and making a mess?

Nelle Belle 04-04-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb34 (Post 16354913)
does this hard boil the eggs or poach them? Poaching to me means the whites are very tender, barely set and the yolks are still liquid, cooked in the poaching liquid.

how would you keep poached eggs in the fridge without them breaking all over each other and making a mess?

I just cook them till the whites are set. They are more of a combo hb and soft boiled egg. Not really poached but easy to cook a bunch.

Deb34 04-05-2013 10:01 AM

great, thanks I get it now!

shunsweets 05-02-2013 10:45 AM

I want to try this. Poached eggs never come out for me and DH loves them.

scintillady 05-12-2013 10:39 AM

Could you use the basket filters? It seems like they would be less likely to fall over.

Nelle Belle 05-12-2013 10:54 AM

Surprisingly, the cone paper filters do not fall over.

MSS726 05-12-2013 01:57 PM

I saw this on Pinterest quite some time ago. Haven't tried it yet because I have to have something to "dip" in my egg. I cannot eat them just plain all gooey like that.

Nelle Belle 05-12-2013 03:17 PM

I do a dozen at a time nd simmer for about 10 min. They are more hard boiled.

Smiles 05-13-2013 07:51 PM

Thanks for this amazing tip. I always wanted to try poached eggs at home, but wasn't sure how to go about it. :)

Tracy