Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Coconut Flour Question~~~

What is the least "coconutty-tasting" coconut flour on the market, in your opinion? Bob's Red Mill is a little strong to me, and I'm not wanting to waste a lot of money on finding this out! Thanks so much!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
This is very subjective but I hope some people chime in about it because I'm curious also.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyjo
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 8/08
My experience is very limited, as I bought Aloha Nu (sp?) to make Lauren's coconut bread a long time ago. I found it very coconutty, but in that bread/cake, it was supposed to be. Last week, I bought some Honeyville coconut flour, and it is lighter and has a much less distinct scent, in the big batch mix I made it was minimally detectable by smell, and in the yellow cake recipe I really couldn't taste it. Haven't tried the Bobs, so can't compare.

christyjo
christyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I also bought Honeyville. It didn't look like my previous Aloha NU coconut flour, and I was worried about how it would perform. So far though, I have not bee able to detect it in Maria's sib rolls of the BTF mix. More important, DH, who does not like coconut, can not detect it either.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I just bought the Sensato here; has not arrived yet. I should have waited and listened to the answers, because I too, do not WANT it to taste of coconut.

By the by, surely there must be something better to use in these flour mixtures. Why do people keep using coconut? what are the special properties? seems expensive, carby, and something that would contribute an unwanted flavor to things. Can people suggest substitutions they have liked? I am not a fan of almond flour in baked goods either, but there for texture and cost reasons, not flavor.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglenomore View Post
What is the least "coconutty-tasting" coconut flour on the market, in your opinion? Bob's Red Mill is a little strong to me, and I'm not wanting to waste a lot of money on finding this out! Thanks so much!
I've been using Coconut Secret coconut flour in the fantastic flour mix (BTF) and I can't taste it in the recipes I make using it. I just made an onion ring batter and couldn't taste the coconut flour. I guess it depends how you use it and if you mix it with other things or use it straight up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I just bought the Sensato here; has not arrived yet. I should have waited and listened to the answers, because I too, do not WANT it to taste of coconut.

By the by, surely there must be something better to use in these flour mixtures. Why do people keep using coconut? what are the special properties? seems expensive, carby, and something that would contribute an unwanted flavor to things. Can people suggest substitutions they have liked? I am not a fan of almond flour in baked goods either, but there for texture and cost reasons, not flavor.
I think the reason people use coconut flour in the flour mix is because it seems to work well as a substitute for real flour. It must be the texture of it that works so well. I can't taste the coconut flour in any if the recipes I've made using the BTF mix.
I like using almond flour in cakes and sometimes in breading meats but the BTF mix is the best flour substitute I have ever tried.

Everyone's needs and tastes are different so it would depend on what you can and want to use as a flour sub.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote