Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Coconut Flour Question~~~ (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/799543-coconut-flour-question.html)

jigglenomore 03-16-2013 12:57 PM

Coconut Flour Question~~~

What is the least "coconutty-tasting" coconut flour on the market, in your opinion? Bob's Red Mill is a little strong to me, and I'm not wanting to waste a lot of money on finding this out! Thanks so much!

watcher513 03-17-2013 12:43 AM

This is very subjective but I hope some people chime in about it because I'm curious also.

christyjo 03-17-2013 05:28 AM

My experience is very limited, as I bought Aloha Nu (sp?) to make Lauren's coconut bread a long time ago. I found it very coconutty, but in that bread/cake, it was supposed to be. Last week, I bought some Honeyville coconut flour, and it is lighter and has a much less distinct scent, in the big batch mix I made it was minimally detectable by smell, and in the yellow cake recipe I really couldn't taste it. Haven't tried the Bobs, so can't compare.

christyjo

Soobee 03-17-2013 06:21 AM

I also bought Honeyville. It didn't look like my previous Aloha NU coconut flour, and I was worried about how it would perform. So far though, I have not bee able to detect it in Maria's sib rolls of the BTF mix. More important, DH, who does not like coconut, can not detect it either.

ravenrose 03-17-2013 10:46 AM

I just bought the Sensato here; has not arrived yet. I should have waited and listened to the answers, because I too, do not WANT it to taste of coconut.

By the by, surely there must be something better to use in these flour mixtures. Why do people keep using coconut? what are the special properties? seems expensive, carby, and something that would contribute an unwanted flavor to things. Can people suggest substitutions they have liked? I am not a fan of almond flour in baked goods either, but there for texture and cost reasons, not flavor.

Ginaaaaaa 03-17-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglenomore (Post 16319445)
What is the least "coconutty-tasting" coconut flour on the market, in your opinion? Bob's Red Mill is a little strong to me, and I'm not wanting to waste a lot of money on finding this out! Thanks so much!

I've been using Coconut Secret coconut flour in the fantastic flour mix (BTF) and I can't taste it in the recipes I make using it. I just made an onion ring batter and couldn't taste the coconut flour. I guess it depends how you use it and if you mix it with other things or use it straight up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16320805)
I just bought the Sensato here; has not arrived yet. I should have waited and listened to the answers, because I too, do not WANT it to taste of coconut.

By the by, surely there must be something better to use in these flour mixtures. Why do people keep using coconut? what are the special properties? seems expensive, carby, and something that would contribute an unwanted flavor to things. Can people suggest substitutions they have liked? I am not a fan of almond flour in baked goods either, but there for texture and cost reasons, not flavor.

I think the reason people use coconut flour in the flour mix is because it seems to work well as a substitute for real flour. It must be the texture of it that works so well. I can't taste the coconut flour in any if the recipes I've made using the BTF mix.
I like using almond flour in cakes and sometimes in breading meats but the BTF mix is the best flour substitute I have ever tried.

Everyone's needs and tastes are different so it would depend on what you can and want to use as a flour sub.