Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
SOUS VIDE CENTRAL - Recipes and tips!

Thought maybe we could make a central spot for all things Sous Vide instead of starting a separate thread for each item - that OK with everybody? Later I'll get all the links together on this thread too so we can go back to what's worked in separate threads!

I just put two corned beef briskets in mine, set the temp at 157* and they'll be in there til dinnertime tomorrow - around 30 hours total. Will post results then!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Sounds good to me! I'm making ricotta cheese either tonight or tomorrow. And you know me, there will be pictures.
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Gadget Gal

OK, here are links to previous threads about Sous Vide:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...sous-vide.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...s-charski.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...de-anyone.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/be...sous-vide.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...sous-vide.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...es-pt-2-a.html

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 03-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Ricotta Cheese (Emily's version)
1/2 Gallon whole milk
1 Cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1 teaspoon Citric Acid (might need more if curds aren't forming)

Put all ingredients in bowl and place in sous vide machine filled with water to reach up the sides of the bowl to the level of the milk. I used the larger bowl from my Kitchen aid mixer and it was just right.

Set temp at 195 degrees and cover.

Once 195 degrees is met, you should be getting curds. If you don't add a little citric acid until they do form.

Remove the curds with a slotted spoon and put into cheese cloth in a strainer or a cheese basket (see the picture). Let drain until ready to use. The longer it strains, the drier the cheese.

I have to say this is better than any I've purchased. It's very rich because of the cream. Very smooth and thick. I'll be making lasagna this evening and use it.

Here are some pics...

Getting ready

Temp set at 195, ready to heat.

195 reached, curds have formed.

Finished cheese draining in the basket.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
Gadget Gal

WOW - that is VERY cool! I bet you could make terrific yogurt that way too! [wheels spinning wildly]
Old 03-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

You can do yogurt this way!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Charski, I hope I'm not the only one who doesn't know anything about a Sous Vide. What's so special about it? I LOVE anything that's kitchen related....so, is this a "must have"?
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Charski, I hope I'm not the only one who doesn't know anything about a Sous Vide. What's so special about it? I LOVE anything that's kitchen related....so, is this a "must have"?
Pam, you didn't ask me, so here's my opinion.

I really had to force myself to use it at first. The more I cook with it, the more I love it. Not everything takes days to cook; I made a couple of burgers in it and they went straight from the freezer to my plate in an hour. Wouldn't have taken that long if they were not frozen.

I like, no LOVE, being able to cook without messing up my kitchen!

Charski can tell you where to get the gadget she uses. It's a very reasonable price.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
Gadget Gal

Thanks for the great introduction, Greybb1!

I've wanted to try sous vide for a long while, but wasn't willing to spend the $400 plus for the Sous Vide Supreme without knowing if I'd like it, AND my counter and storage space is SO limited - I'd have to give UP something to bring in a new something!

So what I bought is called a DorkFoods Sous Vide Temperature Controller (you can do an internet search for it, or Amazon sells them) which was $100. What I LOVE about it is that I can use it with things I already own - roaster oven (8 quart or 18 quart), crockpot, DH uses it with his brew belt for making beer and hard cider. It's a very precise and very neat tool!

Cooking sous vide ("sue veed") means cooking under vacuum in a controlled heat water bath. So you cook in a vacuum bag a la FoodSaver, or you can buy special ziptop cooking bags from Amazon or right from the Sous Vide Supreme website; you can also cook in jars or as Greybb did with her ricotta, right in a bowl placed in the water bath!

So far I've done pork chops, chicken breasts, London broil, and a couple other things that are currently evading my memory cells. You prep and season the food, seal it in one of the aforementioned items, then it goes into the water bath at the temp at which you want the finished product to end up. So for the pork chops, I set the sous vide at 150* (just barely pink in the center) and they were in there about 4 hours, as I recall. Once the food gets to that preset temp, it's essentially as done as it's going to get, but continued time spent relaxing in the water bath will make things like that London broil and Greybb's beef ribs succulently tender.

Then you can take them out when ready to eat and either put under the broiler, on the grill, in a hot skillet, or torch with a kitchen torch to brown the outside.

If you do a cut of steak in there it will be uniformly cooked through from one side to the other. So, if you like your steak medium rare, there won't be that "gray" area on either side of your perfectly-cooked middle! It only takes a moment on each side to get the final sear, and you're good to go.

There are a lot of recipes on that Sous Vide Supreme website, as well as charts for cooking temps/times, and lots MORE info if you do a web search. Plus Greybb has documented her wonderful experiments and experiences, the links in the thread above will take you to them.

So why do this you ask? Well, it's kinda like a crockpot - you can "set it and forget it" and just eat when you're ready, as long as the item has been in the sous vide for at least the minimum recommended time. NO overcooking or undercooking, the temp is very constant at whatever spot you set it. It's wonderful for things that need long slow cooking - today I have two corned beef briskets in my roaster oven with the sous vide controller set at 157* and they've been in there since 10 am yesterday. I'll take them out about 5 pm and I expect they'll be tender and juicy. Can't wait!

Yep, I'm excited about all this, in fact we bought a second DorkFoods controller just for DH to use so that mine isn't tied up with the beer or cider making processes!

AND if you contact the DorkFoods company directly, you'll likely hear from the Chief Dork himself, which cracked me up, or the co-owner - both really nice guys and very helpful.

There ya go, end commercial!

Last edited by Charski; 03-17-2013 at 03:17 PM..
Old 03-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
Gadget Gal

OMG that was the BEST corned beef we have EVER HAD!!!

DH said, "You COULD take a picture, but there is no WAY to show how tender this is!" Literally, it was fork-tender, not salty, and just delicious. I'll never cook it any other way again!

Set it at 157* and it was in there from 10 am yesterday to 4:30 pm today, when I shut it off, then let it sit til 5, removed from the sous vide, poured all the juices off, then put it on a platter and let it rest about 10 minutes before slicing. Seriously. YUM.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much for the replies! I went to the website and got all excited until I read that crockpots shouldn't be digital. Mine is; so, I'm assuming this device won't work for me? Did I read that right?

Charski... not certain if my comments are considered a "threadjack". I just want to have a better understanding of this product.

Thanks for all you do for us!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
OMG that was the BEST corned beef we have EVER HAD!!!

DH said, "You COULD take a picture, but there is no WAY to show how tender this is!" Literally, it was fork-tender, not salty, and just delicious. I'll never cook it any other way again!

Set it at 157* and it was in there from 10 am yesterday to 4:30 pm today, when I shut it off, then let it sit til 5, removed from the sous vide, poured all the juices off, then put it on a platter and let it rest about 10 minutes before slicing. Seriously. YUM.
Can you believe I've never had Corned Beef? But yours sounds delicious.

I think I'll do some short ribs this week.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
Gadget Gal

Pam, I'm always happy to answer questions about anything I know something about!

No, it won't work with a digital crockpot. I had planned to use it with my nondigital 3 size crockpot BUT you have to select the size with a pushbutton every time it turns on so THAT doesn't work either!! BUT both my roaster ovens work GREAT as does my small 2 quart crockpot. Rice cookers will work too if they're not digital. Look around and see what you have - you might be surprised!

MMMM shortribs - I really want to try them. Got DH to agree to trying the beef ribs your way, Greybb - he usually isn't a fan but it's because they're chewy, so if I can get them tender in the sous vide and then crisp up the outside he'll love them!
Old 03-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Charski, don't forget you don't have to cook those beef ribs well done. Mine were medium and the bone slid right out. I put them in the over after to caramelize the bbq sauce.

The only problem with not cooking them well done is that there is a lot of fat so expect your hands and face to be extra greasy. LOL.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Pam, you can find a cheap "manual" crock pot at a thrift store or Goodwill. I would look on Craig's list or freecycle too. You can probably get one for $10.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
How did I not know about this?

I am not sure how I feel about cooking in the bags, having read the pros and cons over the years about cooking in a sous vide. But I know the woman over at nomnom paleo used the silicone things for a while, so that might be an option.

I haven't gotten to dig through all of the info yet, so forgive me for asking-is there a limit on how *big* the roaster can be for this to work? I have a large one in my attic we use for ham or sometimes turkey, so it is rather large. I forget how many qts off the top of my head, and it is cold up there, so I'm not going to check right now. WIll it work with the large roasters too? I know you said you use it with 2 different sized roasters, but I'm wondering if mine is bigger than that. I'm not sure if it matters. I'm going to read the other threads when I get a chance.
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #17
Gadget Gal

It really doesn't matter what size it is - the sous vide temp controller from DorkFoods will cause it to hold a steady temp wherever you set it. My big roaster oven is 18 quarts (did an 18 pound turkey in it recently, not sous vide though) and I know they make 22 quarts too, but it won't matter. As long as it can control the heat source (you plug the roaster into the sous vide, then into the wall) it will work!
Old 03-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #18
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybb1 View Post
Pam, you can find a cheap "manual" crock pot at a thrift store or Goodwill. I would look on Craig's list or freecycle too. You can probably get one for $10.
Good idea. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

I made an Alfredo sauce tonight using some of the Garlic Confit I made in the Sous Vide. The garlic is so tender and mild, almost sweet rather than harsh. It also doesn't leave that horrible garlic breath taste in my mouth.

It's wonderful and the garlic infused oil is great.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #20
Gadget Gal

I haven't gotten around to that one yet - but I sure NEED to!

Tomorrow I am doing two marinated lamb sirloins in mine. Then I'll pansear them in a screaming hot cast iron skillet before serving. MMMMM!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
Gadget Gal

Back with the report - oh yum!! Next time I won't cook them at the same temp though - they were about medium instead of the medium rare I wanted. But man oh man were they tender and succulently delicious!

DH kept making "mmmmmmmmm" noises.

Tomorrow night - ribeye steak!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Hi ladies, looks like you've been cooking some delish dishes.
I've kind of been remiss with mine but think I'll cook something soon!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Come scalestepper! It's time to make something!

What kinds of things have you made in yours?
Old 03-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #24
Gadget Gal

We did the ribeye steak last night. It was good, but not overly tender - I think that's more a product of where I bought it (probably a "select" grade) than the way it was cooked. I had it in the sous vide at 130* for 6 hours. Broiled it to brown it up.

Next time I'll go with 120* or 125* and count on the browning process to finish it up. I like my meat RARE and DH eats his medium rare so it's a compromise! I can always broil or grill his longer.

I bought a marinated leg of lamb at Costco on Friday - it's already IN a sous vide bag! When I saw that on the label I was all HECK YEAH!! Can't wait to try it.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

I haven't used my Sous Vide in a couple of weeks, so tonight I'm going to throw in a rib eye that I had seasoned and bagged a few weeks ago when I bought them from Costco.

I took it out of the freezer and put in the fridge last night to thaw. Gonna throw it in the Sous Vide now on 134 degrees for med rare for a couple of hours. Then I'm gonna throw it on the grill to brown it up.

Picture to follow!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #26
Gadget Gal

Yum yum, sounds good!

I haven't done that lamb leg yet, but plan to next week. Can't wait.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Zaycon Foods just put up baby back ribs (2.99/pound, 36 pounds) each rack is vacuum packed, and bacon wrapped pork filets (3.99/pound, 10 pounds) each filet is vacuum packed. I'm going to buy a box of each and have enough to throw on the grill anytime I want to this summer.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

The best steak I've made yet!

Old 04-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

I picked up a couple of skirt steaks on sale at Kroger and I was thinking about cooking in the sous vide. Can't find much about cooking skirt steaks sous vide so I thought I would ask for opinions. Cook in sous vide & how long or throw it on the grill & skip the whole sous vide thing.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #30
Gadget Gal

I struggle with that same dilemma - some things, I can't decide if it's really worth it to do the whole vacuum-seal/sous vide thing or just throw them on a pan or the grill! LOL!

Now, if I was gonna be gone all afternoon, I'd for sure do the sous vide thing so that then all I had to do was quick-fire the top and bottom and call it done. Plus I bet it will be super tender after its nice warm water bath.

Well, let us know what you decide!

I'm finally gonna do the leg of lamb in there tomorrow!