Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #91
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Wow, been a long time since any of us sous vide'rs posted here!

DH has commandeered both my DorkFoods sous vide controllers for beer brewing - which means I haven't cooked anything using the sous vide method in months! BUT I just ordered yet another controller, which I anticipate will be here next week sometime. I'm ready to get cookin' that way again - it works so well.

I'm gonna do some beef ribs first! I'll crisp them up in the oven after they've languished in their nice warm water bath most of the day.

Greybb, you still using yours? Anyone else using sous vide for LC cooking?

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #92
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ozcook
Sous-Vide

I use the SV several times a week for LC dishes. I often cook from frozen and can't notice the difference.

I recently began using the SV for stir-fry dishes. Now, instead of frying the ingredients, I assemble them. I SV the chicken or beef, put the vegetables in a microwave dish, put the sauce in a microwave cup and after everything is cooked/warmed I just slice the meat and assemble the dish. It makes the most tender stir-fry. A bonus is that the leftovers are in much better condition than if cooked the conventional way.
Ozcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #93
Gadget Gal

Now that's a great idea!
Old 02-17-2014, 04:19 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
I'm still using my sous vide machine but haven't made anything new in it lately. I tried a leg of lamb recipe last month (cooked at 140 degrees for 24 hours) - it was medium-rare throughout, but mushy. I think 24 hours was way too long - next time I'll cook it for 10-12 hours. But I used the lamb in a tasty new dish, Lamb Biryani, (I posted the recipe on the BB.)

After tax season, I'll get to experiment more.
KCSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Wow, been a long time since any of us sous vide'rs posted here!

DH has commandeered both my DorkFoods sous vide controllers for beer brewing - which means I haven't cooked anything using the sous vide method in months! BUT I just ordered yet another controller, which I anticipate will be here next week sometime. I'm ready to get cookin' that way again - it works so well.

I'm gonna do some beef ribs first! I'll crisp them up in the oven after they've languished in their nice warm water bath most of the day.

Greybb, you still using yours? Anyone else using sous vide for LC cooking?
Hi Char! I'm just about to pull my SousVide Supreme now that the weather is getting warmer. (It doesn't heat up the kitchen)

I'm thinking about getting a Dork Foods one and buying one of those electric roasters to cook ribs. The SVS is a little small for the amount I like to cook.
Don't you have a setup like that?
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #96
Gadget Gal

I do. I have three of the DorkFoods controllers now (because DH keeps repurposing them for beer-brewing!) and I have two roaster ovens, one is 8 quart and the other 22 quart - they work GREAT for sous vide. I did buy the rack from the Sous Vide Supreme which fits into both roaster ovens. It's nice to keep things from floating to the top of the water bath.