Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Easy-to-peel eggs: STEAM them!!!

I know a few of y'all do this, but I searched all the egg threads and couldn't find any with "steam" in the title. So I'm posting this in hopes that it will help someone.

I tried it a few days ago and the eggs peeled easily, but I'd had the carton around for at least a week. So today I bought another carton and, as soon as I got home, boiled half and steamed half. The steamed shells came off in ONE piece!!!

Basically you just put eggs in a steamer basket, bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and steam for 20 minutes. I then put them in a (different) pot with very cold water.

I've tried the salt trick, the baking soda trick, and others, but I had better luck with this, and it was very simple.

I found instructions on a website called "cooking with kids", but don't think I can link. The article's called "Forget hard-boiling eggs".

PS: Shell pieces on left are from "regular" boiled egg from same carton.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eggs.jpg (19.2 KB, 45 views)
New lows, 2014:
7/25 276.2

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-14-2013 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: PS
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
This is the way I ended up using for my eggs - steamer basket for 13 minutes, add ice-cold water to cover the eggs, and they peeled pretty well.

Now, however, I simply buy the pre-peeled HB eggs at Costco. Problem solved!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
That's what my egg cooker does and I love that thing. I bought a Cuisinart egg cookker at Bed Bath & Beyond but then a couple weeks later I picked up a new West Bend brand, still in the unopened box, at Goodwll for $2.50. Now I have two
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
This is the way I ended up using for my eggs - steamer basket for 13 minutes, add ice-cold water to cover the eggs, and they peeled pretty well.

I bought those too but I'm not enjoying them so much. Not much egg flavor.. in fact they have a weird taste I cant describe and the whites are very rubbery. They are OK for deviled eggs or egg salad but I don't like eating them plain compared to a freshly boiled egg at home....
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
I don't really care for boiled eggs anymore, I prefer the steamed eggs because the whites are more tender and far less rubbery. I am a texture person so a really rubbery egg white can easily make me gag and retch.
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: MsWoods
Stats: 399/217.5/169
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/22/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post

Ya know, I tried doing this on many occasions, but idk, it seems like they taste, idk, "off" or something. Like I can taste what they preserve them in? They have a little bit of moisture in the bag and maybe it's mental, but it's not just water lol. BTW we do not have a Costco so mine may be different. I just can't do it lol.

I love HB eggs but I can never ever, no matter what, get the shells off, so I rarely make them. I tried a new technique the other day, let them come to a rolling boil, cover and take off the heat for 15 minutes, and they are supposed to peel easily Didn't work.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Ya know, I tried doing this on many occasions, but idk, it seems like they taste, idk, "off" or something. Like I can taste what they preserve them in? They have a little bit of moisture in the bag and maybe it's mental, but it's not just water lol. BTW we do not have a Costco so mine may be different. I just can't do it lol.

I love HB eggs but I can never ever, no matter what, get the shells off, so I rarely make them. I tried a new technique the other day, let them come to a rolling boil, cover and take off the heat for 15 minutes, and they are supposed to peel easily Didn't work.

It's the last step of dumping them into a bowl of ice water after the 15 minutes that is the key, drain off the hot water first. I cook mine in the egg cooker and as soon as it kicks off I have a bowl of ice water sitting in the sink and I dump them in. They peel so much easier plus it stops them from overcooking which can make them rubbery plus mine never have the funky greenish/brown spots on them anymore.

Before I bought the egg cooker I had bought one of those collapsible basket/strainer things that had on TV and i would use that when I cooked them then I would just lift them out and put them in the ice water, easy peasy

Last edited by PaminKY; 03-29-2013 at 12:07 PM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
WOE: LC/VLC
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
Thanks for the tip!!!! Peeling eggs is MADDENING to me, I love HB eggs but go insane peeling them all. I've been wanting to pick up a steamer basket for a while, now I have an even bigger reason to buy one!
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoods View Post
Ya know, I tried doing this on many occasions, but idk, it seems like they taste, idk, "off" or something. Like I can taste what they preserve them in?
Yeah, they taste horrible to me, too.

I'm still so happy about discovering the steaming.

I've tried all kinds of techniques, including lots of salt (seems wasteful) and baking soda--which softened the shells a bit but didn't really make them come off easier.

The only other fool-proof method I can think of would be, every time you get a hankering for boiled eggs, you'd have to get in a time machine, go back 2 weeks, and buy eggs so they'll be old by the time you want them!!!
Old 03-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
I gave this method a try and have to say that it didn't work for me. I did a dozen and we peeled for a long time to get the shell off. Don't know what happened as I followed to a T.
MSS726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Did you put them in ice water?

I don't think the instructions in the link said to do so.
I'm not sure if it helps with the peeling, or just keeps them from getting overcooked.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
Yes, I always put my hard boiled eggs in ice water. We had a terrible time peeling. Not sure why.
MSS726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bummer. I just steamed a dozen and the shell is cracking and coming off so easily (just by handling them, transferring from pot to ice water to colander) that I can't use them to dye for Easter.

Now I'm actually trying to boil some eggs that WON'T peel too easily!!!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Has anyone tried the Julia Child method?

HARD BOILED EGGS** Julia Child
Old 03-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Old eggs peel MUCH easier than fresh eggs.....
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
WOE: LC/VLC
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
But how can you tell how "old" they are if you don't get them straight from the chickens? I'd be willing to buy older eggs just to boil a bunch to eat. Me and the kiddo love them for snacks and salads.
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...oiled-egg.html
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pompom2
Stats: 5'2" 120
WOE: Lower Carb
I boil mine and dont have problems. Put eggs in cold water just enough to cover, then few shakes from the salt shaker. Turn on the gas, boil for 6 min then immediately into ice bath then into container in the refrigerator. They peel fine and taste great.

I will try the Alton Brown method of baking soon. Just to see if a difference
Pompom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #19

Gallery: pocahontas
I am coming in here to say thank you!!!!

I have tried just about every method for hb eggs that peel easily. The steaming method worked like a miracle!!! My eggs were about a week old, I steamed them for 20 min, then dropped into ice water to cool and the shells came off exactly like your picture. I couldnt be happier!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

So I just found an accidental way to peel them. Freeze them after you boil them and the shell slips right off

My refrigerator froze my eggs and I just went to peel them for lunch and they were all frozen. I peeled them anyways and popped 2 in the microwave for 15 seconds and made my egg salad.
MsWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pocahontas--yay!
I've been a little sad that this method didn't work for everyone,
so I'm glad to hear it worked for you!

MsWoods--lol!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

I just seen another tip on Pinterest to add 1/2 tsp baking soda to the water when you are boiling them and it's "supposed" to be easier to peel them.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #23

Gallery: pocahontas
These steamed eggs have been peeling like a dream for me! Love it!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
another tip to peel the eggs after cooling in ice water is to put them back in the pot with some cold water and with the lid on, shake the pot vigorously so the shells crack up. The water will get between the membrane and the HB egg and the pre-cracked shells are much easier to get off.

another variation: while eggs are sitting in the ice water, take an egg and bash the wider end against the bottom of the bowl, that's where the air sac is and when you crack up the shell where the air sac is, water gets between the membrane and the HB egg and and you can start the peeling much easier. If the membrane is 'vaccummed' onto the egg, they are the devil to peel. Breaking the membrane vaccum is key to easy peeling.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
It's the last step of dumping them into a bowl of ice water after the 15 minutes that is the key, drain off the hot water first...................
What Pam said!! Dunking them in ice water is almost a must!! (No matter what method you use!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
Old eggs peel MUCH easier than fresh eggs.....
My sister & I argue about this all the time! I say OLD, she says FRESH! Go figure.

That being said, I have tried most metohds out there for "fool proof" eggs, and sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. And even in the same batch of "boiled" eggs, some peel great, some don't. And yes, using the ice water bath!
I just recently found (and pinned - pinned this too, but from the original site) a baked instead of boiled method. First batch I made did GREAT. Then Easter Sunday, I did a 2 dozen egg batch. Flop! Well some peeled great, but most didn't peel so well. I really kinda think tho that because I did so many, they warmed up the water too much (even tho I had ice in it). I had also forgotten what oven temp to use, and cooked them too hot, for probably too long. That might have made a contribution to them not peeling well. MAybe!
SO,,,,,,, so far I still have not found the every time fool proof method! Someday I'll try this one, and we'll see!! I'm not expecting miracles, but hoping maybe at least most of the time they do great!
I think the baked method done right will usually do well. I really do. But I lkie this for summer or when the house is hot (No A/C), I'll like this better!

For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life! John 3:16
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
crazywoman-n-wy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A batch I steamed a week or so ago came out with *really* green yolks.
I did another dozen last night, and turned the temperature down LOW--
as soon as the water started to boil. I checked the pot a couple times to make sure it was still steaming. Cooked them for 20 minutes, put them into ice water then into the fridge. Peeled them today and about 9 out of 12 had a perfect yellow yolk. The others had a very thin layer of a slightly dark tinge.

This batch was a little bit harder to peel, but I think it was because the eggs were just barely done. The egg whites almost cracked open a few times when I peeled them. I used a spoon to scoop out a couple pieces...no big deal, because it was for egg salad, but I guess I would try cooking them a couple minutes longer if I want to make deviled eggs.

I do like the tender, non-rubbery texture of the steamed eggs, though!

Another method I came up with a while back was to crack the eggs into silicone muffin cups and use a bamboo steamer (big flat surface). A little bit of a hassle because you have to oil and wash the cups (smooth ones are better than fluted ones), but maybe worth it if you absolutely hate peeling eggs.

Last edited by piratejenny; 04-04-2013 at 02:12 PM..
Old 04-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
People who raise their own hens will say fresh eggs don't peel well.........just saying.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Ok, I tried a different method that I saw on Pinterest and it finally worked for me! I added about half a tbsp of baking soda to the water before I put the eggs in and boiled them for about 15 minutes. Then took it off the heat, drained the water, added ice and put more water in them and the shell came right off. This was with eggs I just bought that day. So either this worked, or my eggs were already old lol.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #29

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
What about the baked eggs you see on pinterest?
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

I've never done the baked eggs because my oven doesn't work.