Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Powdered erithritol and Swerve (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/799430-powdered-erithritol-swerve.html)

MSS726 03-14-2013 01:34 PM

Powdered erithritol and Swerve

I have tried both Sensato powdered erithritol and Swerve. The Swerve is definitely pricier, and to me the Sensato powdered erithritol seems more like regular powdered sugar, however the Swerve flows somewhat better. Is there a reason one would be inclined to purchase one over the other? Is one more suited for certain recipes?

Ginaaaaaa 03-14-2013 01:46 PM

I like to buy erythritol because it doesn't have any fillers or other ingredients. Swerve has Oligosaccharides and natural flavors.

crazywoman-n-wy 03-14-2013 04:50 PM

I've never seen or used Swerve. I found a site where the person substituted Swerve with Erythritol + Stevia pwd. (1 cup E + 1 tsp Stevia)
I have a question about the Swerve which I was wondering. Is the Swerve more like powdered sugar or E than granulated? I was wondering that before, and your post sounds like it is.

If it is more like powdered, then I would probably blend the 2 ingredients (above) together in a blender. I made a small batch (1/4c) yesterday, but hadn't blended it yet. Now I'm wondering if I should.

I usually try to use E + other ingredients rather than the more expensive pre-blended ingredients.

lonestarstamper 03-14-2013 08:40 PM

The Swerve comes in either variety, granular or powdered.I like baking with it. My DH does not notice an aftertaste. He usually doesn't like sugar substitutes.

Barbo 03-14-2013 08:59 PM

It's more expensive

Maria of Maria Nutritionals uses it.

I can't see a reason to pay more for erythritol than we pay
at Netrition, add a dad of Stevia and you have Truvia.

crazywoman-n-wy 03-14-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonestarstamper (Post 16316866)
The Swerve comes in either variety, granular or powdered.I like baking with it. My DH does not notice an aftertaste. He usually doesn't like sugar substitutes.

Thanks!

I can't see paying more for it either!

watcher513 03-15-2013 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbo (Post 16316880)
Maria of Maria Nutritionals uses it.

I can't see a reason to pay more for erythritol than we pay
at Netrition, add a dad of Stevia and you have Truvia.

Lauren of Healthy Indulgences has a recipe for that exact thing I believe.

Dottie 03-15-2013 03:46 PM

I am trying swerve in my coffee as I type this. I find it having a weird aftertaste, almost like. Trying to decide but molasses comes to mind, with a little minty-ness as well.
Of course I just spooned some into my coffee without really reading the ratio to use. And I usually drink coffee black, so it could just be that.
I don't think I'll be buying more unless I try baking with it. Might do a cheesecake this weekend and see how that goes.
*edit: I am noticing that I am having a mildly asthmatic response to it as well.

watcher513 03-15-2013 06:36 PM

Dottie, you allergic to corn? I believe E is derived from corn somehow.

sherrymyra 03-15-2013 06:51 PM

I have tried Swerve in making icecream. I thought the taste was a little strange.

Jakelilydad 03-15-2013 07:23 PM

I have used Swerve in baking a lot, and have never noticed an aftertaste.

Dottie 03-15-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watcher513 (Post 16318517)
Dottie, you allergic to corn? I believe E is derived from corn somehow.

Not that I'm aware of.
I do have allergy issues with some stevia products but not E as far as I've ever known.

marieze 03-15-2013 08:00 PM

I have used swerve for some time now and absolutely LOVE it. After trying everything else, for me it was a keeper when baking. Granted, I don't make too many sweets. Personally, I have never found any aftertaste and neither have any friends who I have served foods made with Swerve.

Callieco 03-15-2013 08:43 PM

I use Swerve because I find any other erythritol is just overwhelmingly minty and wrecks the taste of baked goods for me. It does have a slight aftertaste but I always use it in combination with other sweeteners - mostly tagatose, sometimes xylitol or stevia. If I could figure out how to add fiber to it without altering it's baking properties I'd buy the cheaper stuff.

sherrymyra 03-16-2013 10:24 AM

Maybe it was just the icecream. I will try it again.

Mistizoom 03-17-2013 01:39 AM

I recently bought the Sensato powdered erythritol and I'm happy with it. I usually do combine sweeteners, and like others add stevia usually which I find blunts the cooling effect.

CarenL 03-17-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callieco (Post 16318677)
I use Swerve because I find any other erythritol is just overwhelmingly minty and wrecks the taste of baked goods for me. It does have a slight aftertaste but I always use it in combination with other sweeteners - mostly tagatose, sometimes xylitol or stevia. If I could figure out how to add fiber to it without altering it's baking properties I'd buy the cheaper stuff.

Dear Callieco: Im going to try to make your chocolate peanut butter torte today! Excited! :aprayer:

CarenL 03-26-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarenL (Post 16320513)
Dear Callieco: Im going to try to make your chocolate peanut butter torte today! Excited! :aprayer:

Peanut Butter Chocolate Truffle Pie inspired by-Callieco

Baked the crust first.
I substituted my new fav crust - macadamia nuts, cashews & almonds.
Cleochatra's Nut Crust

1/3 cup raw macadamia nuts
1/3 cup raw cashews
1/3 cup raw almonds
1/3 cup Jennifer Eloff's splendid baking mix
2 Tbsp erythritol
cup butter, melted.

Process nuts together until resembling coarse crushed graham crackers. Mix processed nuts, erythritol and bake mix. Add melted butter. Mix well. Press in bottom of a 9” springform pan. Bake at 350 until golden brown. Let cool.

Chocolate Ganache

1/2 cup cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 bar of 72% chocolate

Heat cream, add chocolate and stir until melted, add vanilla

I poured it into the cooled nut pie crust and let it cool

Peanut Butter Topping

1 cup SF crunchy peanut butter
8 oz cream cheese, softened
sweetener - I used 50 drops of clear stevia and 1/4 cup erythritol.
1 cup cream, whipped into stiff peaks

Beat peanut butter, sweeteners and cream cheese together until smooth. Fold in whipped cream until well incorporated. Pour on top of cooled ganache layer.

Cool for several hours. Like every other low carb desert, this is WAY better day 2.

Well this is a total keeper! The above represents tweaks I made to Callieco's recipe, i.e.: I doubled the filling ingredients. Whipped the cream into stiff peaks before adding it to the peanut butter & cream cheese and used my new favorite crust, the macadamia & cashews & almonds. OMG so spectacular.

My husband said it is as good any restaurant desert he has ever had! As you can see, we've already eaten half of it!

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/...psf2453695.jpg