Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Chicken Chile Relleno Casserole (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/799380-chicken-chile-relleno-casserole.html)

buttoni 03-13-2013 04:26 PM

Chicken Chile Relleno Casserole

This was a real quick dinner I threw together tonight. Man, how I love Mexican food! And this was REAL filling! I served it with a guacamole salad. If you're in Maintenance, a serving of refried beans would be GREAT with this dish:
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...utt/001-45.jpg
I just love chile rellenos, but I don’t like all the fuss of actually stuffing them. So I just make the dish up in a layered casserole. Tastes exactly the same, but it’s much less trouble to put together. My last similar recipe was with beef. This is how I make this dish with chicken. This recipe is Induction friendly and Primal diners who eat cheese can also enjoy this dish. It would not be suitable for Paleo followers.

INGREDIENTS:

3 small poblano peppers (mine weighed 2-2.5 oz. each)
12 oz. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size pieces
2 T. olive oil
2 oz. onion, sliced
½ tsp. dried guajillo chile, seeded and chopped fine (optional)
¼ tsp. dried ancho chile powder (optional)
¼ tsp. chili powder (use ½ tsp. if guajillo and ancho above are omitted)
¼ tsp. garlic powder
3/4 c. Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chiles, solids only
¼ c. cilantro, chopped
6 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese, grated

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 450º. Roasting your peppers will make them milder and sweeter, so don’t bypass this step. Cut tops off poblano peppers and remove seed cluster. Cut in halves, lay the halves on a non-stick baking sheet and roast in 450º oven for about 15-20 minutes, turning once during roasting. Remove and cool. Lower oven to 350º. Peel tough skin gently off the peppers. While they are roasting, heat oil in non-stick skillet. Saute onion until tender. Add chicken and saute until meat is no longer pink. Add all remaining ingredients except the cheese. Simmer 3-4 minutes for flavors to meld together. Lay the skinned poblano pepper pieces in the bottom of 3 individual casserole dishes (or you can use one larger casserole dish if you prefer. Top the peppers in each serving dish with 1 spoon of the chicken filling. Spread 1/3 of the cheese over the chicken filling in each dish. Place the remaining chicken filling evenly in the dish(es). Top with the remaining cheese. Pop into a 350º oven for about 20 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese is melted. Serve at once with a nice guacamole salad (and if you are in Pre-Maintenance or Maintenance, this is nice with a ½ c. of heated refried beans).

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 3 servings, each contains:

547 calories
35 g fat
7.70 g carbs, 2.23 g fiber, 5.47 g NET CARBS
47.7 g protein
541 mg potassium
1194 mg sodium
13% RDA Viatmin A, 54% B6, 15% B12, 67% C, 13% E, 12% copper, 22% iron, 12% magnesium, 104% niacin, 37% phosphorous, 15% riboflavin, 11% thiamin and 16% zinc

tulipsandroses 03-13-2013 05:58 PM

That looks Amazing ! I love Mexican food too. I made enchiladas tonight. Might try this in a few days and use Piri Piri for the chili powder. I used it in my enchiladas tonight and it was fabulous. If you love really hot chili that is.

buttoni 03-13-2013 08:19 PM

I don't do too, too hot. Unfortunately, I didn't inherit that gene from my Dad. He could eat straight habaneros and put cayenne on everything! But not I. I tend to stick with the milder chiles and appreciate their subtle flavor nuances. :)

Charski 03-14-2013 10:05 AM

That looks really good, Peggy. Thanks! I know DH will love this one (and so will I) so I'll have to grab some poblanos at the Mexican market next week!

Ginaaaaaa 03-14-2013 12:46 PM

That looks really good Peggy!! Am I the only one who hates dealing with those Mexican peppers? I love them but I just don't like prepping them lol. I always see jalapeños right next to the bell peppers but don't see the other peppers like poblano. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough because I don't want to find them?:hyst:

buttoni 03-14-2013 02:14 PM

They're right on the shelf above the bell peppers at my grocery store. They always stand out for me because they are such a dark green (almost black). As far as prepping, I confess I don't always roast my poblanos, but you always take a chance on them being too hot if you don't. The roasting (or skillet searing) tones down the heat in them and makes them sweeter.

It's jalapenos and the really hot peppers I dislike handling the most. But I use plastic gloves when I have to seed/chop those. :)

Linny 03-14-2013 04:11 PM

Poblano's are one of my favorite chiles......Casserole sounds wonderful.

buttoni 03-14-2013 06:35 PM

It really is a good one, Linny. I think you'll like it!

Linny 03-15-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 16316737)
It really is a good one, Linny. I think you'll like it!

Making this for dinner tonight so I hope I can find some good fresh poblano chiles.

rosethorns 03-15-2013 05:18 PM

That looks amazing Peggy!!!!

watcher513 03-15-2013 06:15 PM

Oh my goodness this looks good. Definitely going to make this.

buttoni 03-15-2013 07:02 PM

It's real easy ladies, and ever so good.

Linny 03-16-2013 06:32 AM

We loved this and in fact, I had some leftover for breakfast :)

(I used half hot pepper cheese and 1/2 monterey jack cheese to spice it up a bit)

buttoni 03-16-2013 06:48 AM

Mmmm. The pepper cheese addition sounds real good, Linny. So glad you guys liked it!

pocahontas 03-18-2013 11:51 AM

:up:

Ginaaaaaa 03-18-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 16316358)
They're right on the shelf above the bell peppers at my grocery store. They always stand out for me because they are such a dark green (almost black). As far as prepping, I confess I don't always roast my poblanos, but you always take a chance on them being too hot if you don't. The roasting (or skillet searing) tones down the heat in them and makes them sweeter.

It's jalapenos and the really hot peppers I dislike handling the most. But I use plastic gloves when I have to seed/chop those. :)

Thanks for the information Peggy. I think I have seen those dark green peppers and I was thinking they were hot like jalapeños so this is good to know. Now that I know this, the prepping would be easy for me. It's the handling of hot peppers that I was worried about.

It looks really yummy!!

Jennifer Eloff 03-18-2013 12:14 PM

That looks seriously good!!

CindyCRNA 03-18-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tulipsandroses (Post 16314779)
That looks Amazing ! I love Mexican food too. I made enchiladas tonight. Might try this in a few days and use Piri Piri for the chili powder. I used it in my enchiladas tonight and it was fabulous. If you love really hot chili that is.

Where are you finding Piri Piri ? I had that when I was in Africa and fell in love with it but have never been able to find it.

shelby'snana 03-18-2013 12:40 PM

DH loves chili rellenos ! I will make this this week for sure ! Thanks, looks delicious :)

Nigel 03-18-2013 01:15 PM

That looks delicious!! I like chile rellenos in just about anything savory.
Thanks for the recipe and great pic!!

I'm so snagging your recipe. :)

buttoni 03-18-2013 01:40 PM

Hope all you folks like this. I love anything with a Mexican taste! And you can't beat this for EASY. :) I was so stuffed after eating this meal, I maybe ought to seriously change the recipe to read FOUR servings and recalculate it. Hubby thought not but 1/3 batch was too much for me. :)

Linny 03-18-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 16323010)
Hope all you folks like this. I love anything with a Mexican taste! And you can't beat this for EASY. :) I was so stuffed after eating this meal, I maybe ought to seriously change the recipe to read FOUR servings and recalculate it. Hubby thought not but 1/3 batch was too much for me. :)

We got 4 nice servings out of ours!!!

mojave 03-18-2013 05:23 PM

Peggy , thanks for the tip on removing the top and seed cluster before the peppers are roasted. No fuss, no inhaling pepper fumes, love it!

Dee

buttoni 03-19-2013 02:33 PM

The seeds do my sinuses in, from all peppers. I don't like real hot stuff. a little tongue tingle is all I want. So ditching those right off is a must for me. I seed my jalapenos and all peppers, to be able to handle/eat them.

tulipsandroses 03-19-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CindyCRNA (Post 16322835)
Where are you finding Piri Piri ? I had that when I was in Africa and fell in love with it but have never been able to find it.

Penzeys carries it.

Susan_C 03-20-2013 08:14 PM

I made this tonight, and it was a big hit. I served it with a mango, avocado, tomato and onion salad, and my husband said that it was "just like eating at Pappo's", which is the fanciest-smanciest restaurant in our town.

buttoni 03-21-2013 02:32 PM

Hiya, Susan.....I'm so glad I could help provide your guys with some "fancy-shmancy". I love anything with poblanos in it. Love, love, LOVE that taste. :)