Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Cheesecake (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/799321-cheesecake.html)

Ginaaaaaa 03-12-2013 04:36 PM

Cheesecake

http://i48.tinypic.com/zklv2c.jpg

I made this cheesecake last night, let it cool overnight and made a strawberry sauce today using fresh strawberries I had previously frozen and defrosted. I then added sweetener and Glucomannan to thicken it. The cheesecake came out very creamy and the crust held together nicely. I really like how it came out, so I thought I would share it with everyone. I pre baked the crust because I wasn't sure if it would bake right if I just filled it and then baked it.

Cheesecake

Crust:
1 1/2 cups Ground Pecans
3 tablespoons Butter
1/2 cup Sugar ( I used Xylitol)

In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Press the nut mixture firmly into bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate. ( I used a 10" springform pan).
Bake at 325 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until the edge is golden brown.

Cheesecake:
4 (8 ounce) packages Cream Cheese
1 1/2 cups Sugar ( I used 1 cup Xylitol and 1/2 cup Splenda).
4 eggs
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tsp Glucomannan

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 or 10 inch springform pan. Place a pan of water on the bottom shelf of the oven, this will ensure the cheesecake comes out creamy. You can also do a water bath, whichever way you prefer. I do the pan because its easier for me.

In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate. Mix in sour cream, vanilla and glucomannan just until smooth. Pour filling into prepared crust.

Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn the oven off, take cheesecake out and run a knife around the outside edge of the cheesecake. Put back in the oven with the door closed for 5 to 6 hours; this prevents cracking. Chill in refrigerator until serving.

greybb1 03-12-2013 05:14 PM

The crust sounds perfect! I've got a bag of pecans I can use, so I think I might make this tomorrow.

Thanks!

Jakelilydad 03-12-2013 08:11 PM

Wow, that looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I am new at making cheesecake, but I love it, and have heard that leaving it in the oven to cool prevents cracking... Nice not to have to use a water bath.

Tweaker Geek 03-13-2013 11:19 AM

That looks so good, Gina! I've been wanting cheesecake - I don't have any glucomannan yet, but I bet using xanthan in place of it would work as it does in the BTF mix.

On the other hand, how about it I just come to your house for cheesecake and coffee!!:hyst:

Ginaaaaaa 03-13-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greybb1 (Post 16312546)
The crust sounds perfect! I've got a bag of pecans I can use, so I think I might make this tomorrow.

Thanks!

I hope you like it!! It's a keeper in my book!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakelilydad (Post 16312870)
Wow, that looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I am new at making cheesecake, but I love it, and have heard that leaving it in the oven to cool prevents cracking... Nice not to have to use a water bath.

Yes, I find the pan of water under the cheesecake works just as we'll and its a lot easier too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 16313994)
That looks so good, Gina! I've been wanting cheesecake - I don't have any glucomannan yet, but I bet using xanthan in place of it would work as it does in the BTF mix.

On the other hand, how about it I just come to your house for cheesecake and coffee!!:hyst:

Well, you better hurry on over, it's already half gone. I had my cousin and a friend come over for cheesecake and coffee today and it got rave reviews. We had southern pecan coffee with it and it was perfect! :)

Brendajm 03-15-2013 09:52 AM

That looks awesome.. can you freeze this?

Tweaker Geek 03-15-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa (Post 16314349)

Well, you better hurry on over, it's already half gone. I had my cousin and a friend come over for cheesecake and coffee today and it got rave reviews. We had southern pecan coffee with it and it was perfect! :)

Sorry I missed it! The coffee sounds awesome!

rosethorns 03-15-2013 05:19 PM

Your cheesecake looks lovely Gina.

buttoni 03-15-2013 07:06 PM

Beautiful, Gina!

Tweaker Geek 03-18-2013 01:21 PM

Gina - I made your cheesecake over the weekend - OMG is it ever good!!

I made mine in an 8" springform pan so it is nice and thick. I added 1 tsp. cinnamon in the crust. For the cheesecake I used 2 pkgs. full fat cream cheese and 2 pkgs. 1/3 less fat cream cheese. For the sweetener I used 1 cup Xylitol, 12 drops EZ Sweetz and 1/4 tsp. splenda quick pack. I used xanthan gum in place of the glucomannan.

I had a slice plain Sunday morning for breakfast and it was sooooo good. I was going to make a strawberry sauce as you did but decided it (I) needed something chocolate to make it go over the top for me so I made a chocolate peanut butter ganache. Yummmmo!

http://i50.tinypic.com/14ag12t.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2hsc94i.jpg

Great recipe, thanks, Gina!

lonestarstamper 03-18-2013 01:45 PM

Tweaker Geek....did you use the same amount for the xanthan gum? Thanks

Tweaker Geek 03-18-2013 02:12 PM

Yes, I did, lonestar.

Ginaaaaaa 03-18-2013 06:27 PM

Wow your cake looks scrumptious!! The ganache sounds amazing too!

I'm glad it came out good for you TG!!

greybb1 03-30-2013 06:42 PM

Bumping this because I want to make it soon.

TEQ 03-30-2013 07:00 PM

This looks so good! I want to make this very soon. :-)

Ginaaaaaa 03-30-2013 08:08 PM

My sister saw the cheesecake pics and a family friend who tried the one I made was telling her how good it was, so now she has requested I make it the next time she comes for a visit. lol

It's a really yummy cheesecake!