Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lionheart88
Stats: 450/300/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 06/05/2003
Parmesan Chicken and Spinach Casserole (Spicy)

Well I have not posted anything on these boards in a long time but I came up with a Recipe that was so good I just had to share it. I know this isn't the right place to post the actual recipe but there are step by step pictures and I wasn't sure I could get it in the right format in the Recipe Room.

Note: This recipe is best made using fresh spinach and mushrooms but frozen spinach and canned mushrooms can be substituted if needed. When possible I try to use Organic Ingredients especially with the Spinach. When frying the chicken you are not trying to cook the chicken through, only to seal the parmesan cheese to the meat and get a nice brown color which will also add some texture, the chicken will finish cooking in the oven. The sauce I chose was because there is no added sugar plus it taste amazing.
Yields: 6 Servings. Total Time Approx 1hr 15 min.

INGREDIENTS
3 large Chicken breast cubed
16 ounces Baby spinach as required
1 cup Parmesan cheese as required
2 bags Lucini Italia Spicy Tuscan Tomato Sauce
1 can (4 oz) Green chiles drained
1 medium Onion diced
1 package Mushroom sliced
3 small Garlic minced
6 teaspoons Coconut oil as required
1 package Pepper Jack Cheese (8 Slices) sliced
2 ounces Cheddar cheese grated
1 large Egg whisked
1 teaspoon Cayenne optional

Prep Work:
Whisk 1 egg into container
Pour 1 cup of Parmesan Cheese into container that has a lid (use more if needed to coat chicken)
Cut the 3 chicken breast into cubes
Dice the onion
Mince the garlic
Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Cooking:
Drop the cubed chicken breast into container with egg

Remove from egg and place into Parmesan Cheese cover with lid and shake to coat the chicken

Melt 2 teaspoons of coconut oil over medium-high heat in frying pan being cautious not to get the oil to hot or it will begin to smoke
Begin placing the chicken cubes into the oil, this should only take about 1 minute per side until the chicken is browned, repeat this process as many times as you need to get all of the chicken cooked but replace the oil each time you do this or the bits and pieces of parmesan will begin to burn and smoke.

Go straight from the frying pan to a 9.5 x 13.5 Lasagna Dish with the chicken.
Dust with Optional cayenne for more heat.

Sauté the spinach which may require you to repeat the process since most will not fit in the frying pan. You should end up with just enough wilted spinach to cover the chicken so go ahead and add the cooked spinach to the dish.

Clean pan and melt 2 teaspoons of coconut oil over medium heat.
Add Onion, garlic and mushrooms to pan and sauté for a few minutes until onions become translucent.

Spread onion, garlic and mushrooms over dish and top with a few sprinkles of parmesan cheese. EDIT: At this point add 1 can of Green Chiles.

Pour both bags of the Lucini Spicy Tuscan Tomato sauce over the dish and spread evenly.

Top with 8 slices of Pepper Jack Cheese and 2 ounces of shredded white cheddar.

Place in preheated oven at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.

Let cool for 10 minutes and enjoy.

Last edited by Lionheart88; 03-12-2013 at 11:52 AM..
Lionheart88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Boy that looks DELICIOUS and I'm glad you posted it here - I've never had good luck with the Recipe Room plus I prefer the ensuing discussions here about what others did, tweaks, and so forth! SO - thanks for posting it HERE!

I've never seen that tomato sauce in the bag! Where did you buy it?
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lionheart88
Stats: 450/300/?
Start Date: 06/05/2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Boy that looks DELICIOUS and I'm glad you posted it here - I've never had good luck with the Recipe Room plus I prefer the ensuing discussions here about what others did, tweaks, and so forth! SO - thanks for posting it HERE!

I've never seen that tomato sauce in the bag! Where did you buy it?
I found it at my local Ingles but after checking the Lucini website I found they do carry it in jars and it is also available in Publix, Wal-Mart and Target stores. The recipe could taste good with some other tomato sauces but I'm not sure since this is all I've used since I came up with it. The great thing about this Recipe is it can be tweaked and messed around with and you're likely to still come up with something good but this stuff is so good I have been making it for the past 3 weekends in a row and this is only my 4th time ever making it, took a little tweaking here and there until I'm 100% satisfied with it the way it is now.
Lionheart88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
Start Date: March 2010
This sounds so yummy! I don't like mushrooms so I will try this without mushrooms.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
This sounds great!!
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Oh my gosh, this sounds fantastic!! It made me hungry just reading the recipe, in fact I'm going to make this tonight! I don't have the green chiles but I have everything else.

Thank you for sharing!!

It's in the oven, not bad for starting with frozen chicken, lol. It smells amazing, I didn't use any heat, one of my kids does not like it and I used mozzarella and yellow cheddar for the cheeses. I think it's going to be super yummy.

The directions were great and even included the prep work!! I was able to clean in between sautéing everything so my kitchen is spotless!!

Can't wait to try it! I will report back after we eat.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 03-13-2013 at 04:18 PM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
This was soooo good!!! I seasoned the egg with salt and pepper, and seasoned the Parmesan with Italian seasoning. I also seasoned the spinach with salt and pepper, and I used chicken tenders, I didn't bother to cut them up. We really loved this recipe, it reminded me of chicken Parmesan but it had the flavors from the spinach, garlic onion and mushrooms. My son ate two big servings and my both me and my daughter wanted more but we were stuffed!!

It's quick, easy and has a ton of flavor. I will be making this again for sure.

Thanks again for sharing!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.6 KB, 18 views)
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
That DOES sound real good. I like the idea of mixing the chiles in with an Italian sauce!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Linny
Stats: Lost 50 lbs
WOE: Organic & Natural Whole Food version of Atkins
Looks yummy Gina!!
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote