Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Topchips (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/799206-topchips.html)

ravenrose 03-11-2013 09:52 AM

Topchips

has anyone tried this to make microwave chips from something like jicama or ???? please report!

lterry913 03-11-2013 05:51 PM

Wow that looks really interesting...I wonder if they would have it at bed bath and beyond...my go to gadget store. If it didn't work I could take it back...they are so good with returns there. I so want to try this.

ravenrose 03-11-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16310314)
Wow that looks really interesting...I wonder if they would have it at bed bath and beyond...my go to gadget store. If it didn't work I could take it back...they are so good with returns there. I so want to try this.

the reports are that even with potatoes it doesn't work very well... most people seem not to like it. but it's tempting! of course the chips get so SMALL and it doesn't make very many. they say the slicer is very shoddy and won't last. I have a 1mm blade in my food processor though.

watcher513 03-12-2013 01:53 AM

There's a bunch of them (and colors; 1 and 2 pc.) at A if you look up Mastrad chip maker.

Ann Lytle 03-12-2013 06:30 AM

I spent a lot of time reading feedback about this last night. Most people really like it, a few didn't. It seems they don't work as well if you stack the trays and they don't make very many chips at a time and take up to 6 min. depending on your microwave. I almost ordered it anyway, as it's only me at home anymore. Then decided to wait and check it out some more, so if anyone here gets it, let us know................. Ann

ravenrose 03-12-2013 08:18 AM

you know, I suspect putting the pieces of veg on parchment paper would work just as well... at 1mm thick, the moisture will pretty much leave through the top. the holes in the plastic thing LOOK good, but really, as widely spaced as they are, how much good can they do? I think we could make chips that are just as good without this. will get a jicama and try it.

not to mention, we are not fat phobic. I am sure they would be better with some oil on them if it didn't prevent crisping. probably, actually, oiling them and putting them in a regular oven on a baking sheet is optimal. if they take that long in the microwave and you have to make batch after batch, it might be more practical too.

Redeemed 03-12-2013 08:45 AM

Ronco Chip-Tastic makes 36 chips and can be purchased on Amazon for about $10 less.

ouizoid 03-12-2013 08:48 AM

I make potato chips in the micro all the time. Slice thin, salt, put on parchment and nuke. so good! no gadget!

Redeemed 03-12-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 16311413)
I make potato chips in the micro all the time. Slice thin, salt, put on parchment and nuke. so good! no gadget!

Good idea to try this before I make a purchase!

Strawberry 03-12-2013 11:55 AM

Interesting!

I google searched it, and appartently Target sells the TopChip online as well as bed bath and beyond (20% off coupon anyone!?) One reviewed on the BBB site said that they use the base to make kale chips in the microwave.

watcher513 03-12-2013 04:41 PM

If people really wanted it, it could be used for lots of other things too including LC pizza I'd think, depending on which LC crust is made.