Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Craving cake! Almond flour... any ideas?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/799191-craving-cake-almond-flour-any-ideas.html)

Stardust 03-11-2013 09:03 AM

Craving cake! Almond flour... any ideas??

I'm really craving some kind of cake. Like sponge cake, victoria sponge, cupcake, madeira sponge etc.

I picked up some almond flour a little while ago but haven't tried it yet. Anyone have any yummy recipies that I can try?

Mrs S 03-11-2013 09:25 AM

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ound-cake.html

It's seriously fabulous!

janetsbreeze 03-11-2013 09:55 AM

Oooo the almond flour fudge cake

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-cake-pic.html

Tweaker Geek 03-11-2013 11:34 AM

I don't think you'll get a spongy texture with almond flour, most of the cakes I make with it are more dense. Have you tried Ouiz's flour mix? In my opinion, the yellow cake that Gina came up with using it is more the texture you seem to be looking for. It's not spongy like sponge cake but it really has a lovely, light texture.

Luckyone2934 03-11-2013 02:47 PM

An oldie, but goodie!

3 Minute Chocolate Cake

1/4 c. almond flour
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
1/4 tsp. baking powder
3 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. of Splenda
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1 tbsp. water
1 egg
3 drops almond extract

Mix the almond flour, cocoa, baking powder, and splenda in a 2 cup glass measuring cup. Stir in the melted butter, water, egg & extract. Mix well with a spoon or fork. Scrape batter down evenly with a rubber spatula. Pour into a microwavable glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap, cutting a small slit in center to vent. Microwave on high 1 minute, 20 seconds. Cool slightly and serve warm topped with heavy whipping cream.

The recipe I have(that i'm sure i got from here) says 4.5 carbs for the whole thing. Perfect portion control. :)

rosethorns 03-11-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyone2934 (Post 16309797)
An oldie, but goodie!

3 Minute Chocolate Cake

1/4 c. almond flour
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
1/4 tsp. baking powder
3 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. of Splenda
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1 tbsp. water
1 egg
3 drops almond extract

Mix the almond flour, cocoa, baking powder, and splenda in a 2 cup glass measuring cup. Stir in the melted butter, water, egg & extract. Mix well with a spoon or fork. Scrape batter down evenly with a rubber spatula. Pour into a microwavable glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap, cutting a small slit in center to vent. Microwave on high 1 minute, 20 seconds. Cool slightly and serve warm topped with heavy whipping cream.

The recipe I have(that i'm sure i got from here) says 4.5 carbs for the whole thing. Perfect portion control. :)

This is one of the best little cakes there is.

lterry913 03-11-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 16309393)
I don't think you'll get a spongy texture with almond flour, most of the cakes I make with it are more dense. Have you tried Ouiz's flour mix? In my opinion, the yellow cake that Gina came up with using it is more the texture you seem to be looking for. It's not spongy like sponge cake but it really has a lovely, light texture.

This is a good idea...or find a recipe with protein powder in it...that's what makes things taste spongy if you ask me...the mix mentioned above has protein powder in it...anything with a lot of egg whites and protein powder combined will give a spongy texture.

So you don't waste a lot of ingredients try making the MIM ,substituting for the flax, with part almond flour and part protein powder...maybe add an extra egg white for consistency and fluffiness. just experiment until you figure out the texture you like.

Tweaker Geek 03-11-2013 07:31 PM

The 3-Minute Chocolate Cake is really good and the perfect thing when you want a sweet treat without having leftovers to deal with (read as just HAVE to eat!!)

Chocolate Rose 03-11-2013 08:09 PM

I haven't been very happy with most of the lc cakes. But, this one is really good and it's just enough for one or two people.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Healthy Instant Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes & Frostings Low Carb

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 Tablespoon unsalted butter**
4 teaspoons half and half cream OR lite coconut milk
1/16 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 beaten egg
5 Tablespoons almond flour -- gently packed
2 teaspoons coconut flour
2 Tablespoons erythritol OR 2 Tablespoons Truvia OR 3 packets good-tasting stevia OR scant 1/16 teaspoon pure stevia extract (if using erythritol)
1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (recommended: Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder)
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon vinegar

Makes 1 large serving
**For a dairy-free/paleo version of this cake, use coconut oil or nonhydrogenated organic shortening and lite coconut milk. You can use a tablespoon of honey and the listed amount of stevia to sweeten it.

Add butter, half and half or coconut milk, and sea salt to mug. Melt for 30 seconds on HIGH in microwave, or until butter is liquified. Add vanilla and drizzle egg into mug while whisking it with a fork. Add the dry ingredients and whisk thoroughly with fork until batter is smooth and evenly mixed. Whisk in vinegar. Slap the bottom of the mug with the palm of your hand 10-20x to pop air bubbles. Place in the center of the batter a square or two of 70% cocoa chocolate or sugar-free milk chocolate for a gooey, melty center. Microwave mug on HIGH for 1 minute, 15 seconds, or until batter has cooked through. Let cool 1 minute. Top with s squirt of whipped cream or a dab of low carb cream cheese frosting if desired. Eat!

Description:
"This healthy yet decadent spin on the beloved One Minute Muffin is sure to hit the spot when you're crunched for time and craving the sweet stuff"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : 2012 This makes a VERY large serving, but it's the best cake I've had since going low-carb! I use whipping cream instead of half and half or coconut milk. I made a double batch in 2 mugs so that I could use a whole egg. This really is awesome!
The second time I made this I used 1 1/2 Tbs Truvia rather than 2 Tbs. I left out the salt as the butter I used was salted and ithe cake seemed to be too salty with the added salt. I made it in my microwave egg muffin pan that I bought at Walmart. It worked beautifully. The pan was the perfect size and the cake came right out of the pan when inverted over a plate. I frosted it with Cocoa Ganache.

Jakelilydad 03-11-2013 09:23 PM

That Instant Chocolate Cake sounds wonderful. Any idea of the carb count?

Chocolate Rose 03-12-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakelilydad (Post 16310597)
That Instant Chocolate Cake sounds wonderful. Any idea of the carb count?

Here is what was posted: 7.4g net carbs, 368 calories (without the square of Lindt 70% chocolate).

I thought I included it with the recipe. Sorry

Stardust 03-13-2013 02:24 PM

Ooooh thank you so much for the ideas everyone. I will be trying something this weekend :)