Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Homemade yogurt (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/799161-homemade-yogurt.html)

JennyP 03-10-2013 07:43 PM

Homemade yogurt

Has anyone made yogurt with HWC? I love yogurt and want to make some, but not sure how well it would work with cream. Input would be greatly appreciated.

ravenrose 03-10-2013 09:15 PM

yogurt is made from the bacteria eating the milk sugar. since there is almost no milk sugar in cream, it won't really be yogurt. you will get a LITTLE bacterial growth, but not much.

unna 03-10-2013 11:58 PM

They do have heavy whipping cream yogurt in Germany at the grocery stores - I buy it and its amazing.

Just make the base of the yogurt with regular milk (as per ravenrose), then add in heavy whipping cream (maybe beat it first for a fluffier consistency).

Galveston Gal 03-11-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyP (Post 16308305)
Has anyone made yogurt with HWC? I love yogurt and want to make some, but not sure how well it would work with cream. Input would be greatly appreciated.

I have made yogurt using 1/2 heavy whipping cream and 1/2 whole milk...:heart::heart::heart:
The problem is that it was way toooooooo yummy. :doh:
I had to quit making it! I made it vanilla flavored.
I had portion control issues! I used Splenda packets to sweeten it.
I let it set up for 12 hours.
When I took the containers out and did the spoon test, my spoon stood straight up and did not fall over!!!
During the time I was making/eating it, I gained weight!!! :(

If you have better portion control than I do...don't hesitate...but if yummy things call your name and you can't resist the pudding like texture...well....:confused: ....you be the judge.

dipasquale 03-11-2013 07:34 AM

Wow, not sure if I'll end up making this but it sounds AMAZING

JennyP 03-11-2013 03:44 PM

Oh man, it sounds like I might not be able to resist it. My favorite breakfast has always been yogurt and granola, so I was wanting to make some 24 hour yogurt to get rid of all the lactose, and thought the HWC might be a good addition. Pudding and custard always get me, though. Maybe I could get my husband to ration me. Thanks Galveston Gal!

MerryKate 03-11-2013 10:22 PM

I also made a yogurt from mostly cream and a bit of milk (maybe 2/3 cream to 1/3 milk - just enough to give the bacteria something to feed on). It didn't thicken up as much as regular yogurt, but after I strained it, it was WONDERFUL. That said, I've made just about the same texture, mouth feel and carb content using full fat greek yogurt (Greek Gods and Fage are both great) and adding 2 tb HWC per 4 oz. serving. It's a lot less work. ;D

Re: the need to ration, I've found the above recipe doesn't trigger hunger, where having low-fat yogurt does - even with the added HWC. I also like to add pecans to my yogurt, for a different texture.

JessBunny 03-12-2013 09:27 AM

I've made yogurt using HWC before, it needs about 3-4 tablespoons of sugar (real sugar, no substitutes) added per quart before you add the yogurt culture. I add my sugar when the milk is still hot from the heating process. I've never worried about adding in a little sugar to my yogurt because most of it will be consumed by the bacteria. I get the best results from using half and half. I add about 1-2 tablespoon of sugar per quart for that. My current obsession is making yogurt from farm fresh raw milk from pasture fed cows. It's not as creamy as the kind made from half and half but I just feel so good eating it.

ravenrose 03-12-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessBunny (Post 16311528)
I've made yogurt using HWC before, it needs about 3-4 tablespoons of sugar (real sugar, no substitutes) added per quart before you add the yogurt culture. I add my sugar when the milk is still hot from the heating process. I've never worried about adding in a little sugar to my yogurt because most of it will be consumed by the bacteria. I get the best results from using half and half. I add about 1-2 tablespoon of sugar per quart for that. My current obsession is making yogurt from farm fresh raw milk from pasture fed cows. It's not as creamy as the kind made from half and half but I just feel so good eating it.

I really really don't think the bacteria will consume nearly that much sugar. if you do this, at least let it mature for a LONG time so it has more of a chance. I would call a teaspoon of sugar in something like this "a little extra sugar" maybe, but not 3-4 tablespoons.

JessBunny 03-12-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16311540)
I really really don't think the bacteria will consume nearly that much sugar. if you do this, at least let it mature for a LONG time so it has more of a chance. I would call a teaspoon of sugar in something like this "a little extra sugar" maybe, but not 3-4 tablespoons.

You're right, if the culture only ferments for 12 hours or less I would use half as much sugar or less. I usually let my cultures go 24-30 hours and I found the extra sugar gives a better result. Sorry, I should have added the time. I didn't think about that part and it can be very different for everyone.