Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Gluten Free Coconut Flour Orange Cake with Coconut Oil Frosting need some suggestions

I'm planning on making this cake this afternoon. I am trying to lower the calories and need some suggestions on tweaks that might help.

I've posted my idea's in bold below, let me know if you have any better/other suggestions.

Gluten Free Coconut Flour Orange Cake with Coconut Oil Frosting
Posted At : October 31, 2009 7:32 AM

Gluten Free Coconut Flour Organic Cake
Photos by recipe author
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Servings: 5-8

I give you a method for melting the coconut oil while greasing the pan, saving you a dish. You can certainly melt the coconut oil in one pan and grease the pan separately. Also, I add the coconut oil last just in case it is still pretty warm. The eggs already mixed with the other ingredients provides a bit of a buffer in case the oil is still too warm. Scrambled egg cake is not what we're after here.

1/4 cup coconut oil
6 eggs, at room temperature - I'll use 3 eggs and the equivalent of 3 eggs worth of whites.
1/4 cup coconut milk* - will use almond milk or water with a little powdered coconut milk for flavour.
6 tablespoons raw honey - not sure what to sub this with, I have SF Honey but it's 50 calories per tbsp. Wonder if I should just use 2 tbsp and add a little more water to the batter?
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (aluminum free)
1/2 teaspoon salt
juice of 1/2 medium orange
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Measure out coconut oil and place in an 8"x8" pan. Place the pan in the oven to melt the coconut oil.

While the coconut oil is melting, whisk the eggs, coconut milk, honey, vanilla and orange zest together.

Once the coconut oil is melted (probably around five minutes or less), remove the pan from the oven and let it cool while you mix in the rest of your ingredients. Combine coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet.

Once your pan is cooled enough to handle, carefully swirl your coconut oil around your pan in order to grease all sides. Then pour the coconut oil into the batter and mix until all lumps are gone.

Pour the batter into your greased pan and place on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until browned on top and a toothpick comes out clean. Place the cake on a cooling rack.

After the cake has cooled a bit, but is still warm, poke holes all over the top with a fork. Juice the orange half right over the whole cake, making sure to evenly distribute the juice.

Orange Coconut Oil Frosting

Be sure to melt your coconut oil in a glass bowl. I do this by putting the bowl over a small pan of simmering water.

1/2 cup coconut oil, melted in a glass bowl - will use half the amount of less, I'll make more of a glaze than a frosting I think.
9 drops of liquid stevia (alternatively, you could use a couple of teaspoons of raw honey - will use stevia
1 packed teaspoon orange zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients into warm coconut oil. You are now going to place the bowl into the freezer in order to cool it down. It is very important to check on it every couple of minutes to catch it before it gets too cold. You want to take it out of the freezer right when it starts to get cloudy.

At this point the cold bowl (and your cool kitchen) will continue to turn the liquid oil into a solid. Continue to whisk the frosting as it gets cloudier and cloudier and eventually turns into a whipped butter consistency. The idea is to get a bit of air into it.

Once it is to a whipped (very soft) butter consistency plop it onto your cooled cake. Frost it very quickly before the coconut oil hardens. It will seem like a pretty thin frosting, but it is just enough.

*Use 1 teaspoon of coconut cream concentrate for every 6-8 oz of water for coconut cream milk. Mix together and use as directed or make homemade coconut milk.

Recipe submitted by Shannon, Dexter, MI
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enna1477
Stats: 255/145/160
WOE: Self designed LC
Start Date: November 2010
How did it turn out?
enna1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

It's in the oven. The batter tasted great though!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Going to try this one after work today. Have to stop on the way home and buy an orange!
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

I hope you like it!

I don't eat oranges any more but happened to get one so thought I'd try and make this cake with it. I'm sooooooo glad I did.

I also added a titch or Pure Orange Extract to the batter to kick up the flavour a notch.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Made this tonight for dessert. It came out very moist and tasty. I still can taste the darn coconut flour over any other flavor. I think I need to find a new coconut flour that has a milder taste. May try using some of my new Lupin flour next time.

But the texture was great and I will certainly eat this up and enjoy it. I didn't make the frosting and it was sweet enough for me. I didn't have SF honey so added some ezsweetz and a tbsp of vegetable glycerin just because I had it in the cupboard and it's thick syrup reminded me of honey.

My store only had bags of oranges so I will be experimenting with this at least 7 more times lol. Thanks for the recipe Yaz. I use your microwave bread recipe at least once a week too.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Glad you liked it. The coconut flour I get at the bulk store is very mild tasting so I didn't taste any coconut in my cake. I LOVE coconut though so it wouldn't have bothered me if I did.

You may want to try adding a dash of pure orange extract to kick up the orange flavor and hide the coconut flavour.

I'm going to try subbing in half lupin flour next time. Hopefully it will turn out just as nice. I'm thinking a lemon version of the cake would be great too!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
What did you use in place of the honey? I don't have any sf honey, and can't find any around here... I'd have to order it. Wonder if sf maple syrup (or Walden farms caramel sauce) would work?
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

I used 2 tbsp of SF Honey, I'm sure SF maple syrup would be just fine or you could probably just use dry sweetener. Not sure how caramel would taste with orange, but if it's a combo you like then go for it!

I did add some stevia and splenda to sweeten the batter since I cut way back on the "honey" in the original recipe.

I found the honey at Walmart near the Peanut butter.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
From what I've seen, only Super Walmarts have the sf honey.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
Closest Walmart is an hour away from me... and I don't know if it is a SuperWalmart or not. Note to self: add sf honey to next Netrition order. thanks for the info, though.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote