Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
All Purpose Sugar Free Blend, Part II

I just read CRosie's thread titled "All Purpose Sugar Free Blend," and I noticed that she is using something called Ace K but I'm not going to use that. Prefer instead to use Stevia. My question is, what is the perfect, tried and true, sugar-free blend to use in place of sugar?

I found this on another site; this is suppose to be equivalent to 1cup sugar:
1/2 cup PolyD
1/4 cup Erythritol
1/4 to 1/2 tsp Stevia

But I don't want to use that much Erythritol because it's so expensive. I'd rather rely more on Stevia and PolyD and use less Erythritol. Does anyone have a proven sugar-free blend that they use?

Thanks; you guys are my life savers. I still haven't yet fully adopted the low carb lifestyle because I haven't figured out the whole baking aspect of things yet, so I'm still eating wheat flour and cane sugar at this point when I bake.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
First off - have you TRIED PolyD? It's not really a sweetener, it's more a bulker. It also tends to give a finsihed baked product more of the qualities that would have been present with sugar, from a caramelization standpoint. AND it's fiber AND I cannot tolerate ANY amount of it, even though maltitol doesn't bother me!

So that would be my first concern - if you HAVE tried it and you CAN use it without gastro problems, then the next thing to keep in mind is the sweetening equivalences of those products.

PolyD HAD two different formulas, not sure what the case is now because I found out it wasn't something I could use. One was sweeter than the other but still something around the 10 to 15% sweetness of sugar, IIRC.

Erythritol is 70 to 80% sweetness of sugar (and we're talking cup for cup here, same with the PolyD.)

Every stevia product is different so you need to know THAT equivalence to a cup of sugar too, before you begin.

I think the formula you have above will NOT give you anywhere close to the sweetness of a cup of sugar UNLESS your stevia is one of the highly concentrated ones. Some of THOSE can be very bitter too so be sure the one you choose is tested by YOU first to see how your tastebuds handle it.

Not trying to be a downer but just give you the "voice of experience" here - there are multiple threads about sweetener blends and equivalences, might be good to just do some searching and see what appeals to you!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
First off - have you TRIED PolyD? It's not really a sweetener, it's more a bulker. It also tends to give a finsihed baked product more of the qualities that would have been present with sugar, from a caramelization standpoint. AND it's fiber AND I cannot tolerate ANY amount of it, even though maltitol doesn't bother me!
How odd, because maltitol usually bothers most people it seems. I've got no experience with PolyD or maltitol.

Quote:
So that would be my first concern - if you HAVE tried it and you CAN use it without gastro problems, then the next thing to keep in mind is the sweetening equivalences of those products.

PolyD HAD two different formulas, not sure what the case is now because I found out it wasn't something I could use. One was sweeter than the other but still something around the 10 to 15% sweetness of sugar, IIRC.

Erythritol is 70 to 80% sweetness of sugar (and we're talking cup for cup here, same with the PolyD.)

Every stevia product is different so you need to know THAT equivalence to a cup of sugar too, before you begin.
I'd be using the PolyD that serves mostly as a bulker rather than a sweetener. And I've settled on Sweetleaf Stevia powder, the powder that has at least 90% steviosides. They say this one is 300x sweeter than sugar, and I have the conversion chart too. I plan to use this in baking.

Quote:
I think the formula you have above will NOT give you anywhere close to the sweetness of a cup of sugar UNLESS your stevia is one of the highly concentrated ones. Some of THOSE can be very bitter too so be sure the one you choose is tested by YOU first to see how your tastebuds handle it.
There are so many reviews on all Stevia brands including sweetleaf that claim that it was bitter, so I'm thinking that people either add too much (and no one says how much is too much), and/or their taste buds just taste the bitter part.

Quote:
Not trying to be a downer but just give you the "voice of experience" here - there are multiple threads about sweetener blends and equivalences, might be good to just do some searching and see what appeals to you!
I've been searching but I'm so far only finding one or two peoples' opinions at a time; not finding anything where at least 10 people tried the exact same recipe in exactly the same way and gave an honest opinion. Can we get something like that started on this site?

I'm about to make a purchase for Stevia, Erythritol, and PolyD...thankfully PolyD is cheap so if I can't tolerate it I can throw it out without much guilt.

Well here goes!
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
I agree with Char. Everyone's taste is different. I cannot tolerate any polyD or maltilol. I dislike the taste of stevia but add small amounts of it to my sweetener mix.
I mix several sweeteners together.
Overall, I'd have to say that I like Ideal best.
You might want to experiment with a few to see what you like the taste of.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote