Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Sardines? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/799042-sardines.html)

nomorepepsi 03-08-2013 03:35 PM

Sardines?

Hi, fellow LCFs,

Do any of you eat sardines? I just made sardines and wilted spinach for dinner, and in addition to it being absolutely delicious, it was cheap... if you eat sardines, what else do you eat with it?

Behlor

Charski 03-08-2013 04:19 PM

Oh heck yeah, we love them.

I make crackers out of the LC flatbread, and we like either the tzatziki or the Greek yogurt jalapeno spread from Costco. Spread on either of those, lay a sardine on top, nosh, repeat!

I do this with smoked oysters also.

I AM careful to get the ones packed in olive oil, I prefer not to eat canola or cottonseed oil, which so many of them use. I also try not to get the ones from China. After the pet food debacle, I don't trust ANY food items from there!

JMHO of course!

But yeah, sardines are yummy. Never tried them in a salad like that but I bet it was really good!

ouizoid 03-08-2013 04:37 PM

trader joes smoked sardines in olive oil. SO good.

Charski 03-08-2013 06:35 PM

Yep, Ouis, that's where I get ours, and the smoked oysters too! :yummy:

Mistizoom 03-09-2013 05:57 AM

I would like to try canned fish like sardines or kippers (I do have a can of kippers/smoked herring in the cupboard) but I'm afraid. Any tips for a first-timer?

ouizoid 03-09-2013 05:59 AM

ohhh kippers. Delicous! I keep cans of kippers at my office for lunch. they are smoky, delicate and delicious fish. smoky fish like sardines and kippers are just delicious IMO.

Ann Lytle 03-09-2013 07:10 AM

I have a tendency to just open the can, put mustard all over them and eat them when I want a snack...................... Ann

dianafoot 03-09-2013 07:28 AM

Sardines spread with mustard on a cracker. Yum! I too use Joseph's lavash bread for my crackers now.

Charski 03-09-2013 10:17 AM

I think kippers might be an easier place to start than sardines, unless you buy the boneless/skinless ones. Opening a can of little whole fish (sans heads usually) can be a bit disconcerting if you're not used to it!

I love those kippers too. Yum yum yum!

focus83 03-09-2013 01:50 PM

Yes i love them!! and so cheap. I normally have a tin or two with some green veg as a meal. Easy and quick x

Doug_H 03-09-2013 03:07 PM

My preference is the King Oscar brand, if you can find them.

I especially like the Mediterranean Style sardines and their kipper snacks have a smoked flavor.

ouizoid 03-10-2013 08:44 AM

my only caveat, like Char, is to check the label and make sure that whatever you buy is only packaged in olive oil. cottonseed oil is bad news.

tea cup 03-10-2013 11:04 AM

I like sardines spread on pork rinds with lots of franks hot sauce sprinkled on top

Heidinem 03-11-2013 04:41 AM

I toast store bought low carb bread. I cannot eat sardines without bread.

mamabear6 03-11-2013 09:35 AM

I love sardines! I have a textural issue with the bones so I always get boneless + skinless sardines, but I eat them plain out of the tin with a fork. Talk about decadence!

Barbo 03-11-2013 04:14 PM

Speaking of the tinned fishy bits......

We also love Trader Joe's Kipper Fillets,
smoked herring in canola oil & juices.
They are imported from Germany and are fabulous

A plate, some German mustard, a few celery sticks and I'm fed.
You can have the entire tin to yourself. :)