Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   How to Substitute Stevia for Agave in Elanas Pantry recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/799012-how-substitute-stevia-agave-elanas-pantry-recipes.html)

Seeking 03-08-2013 09:42 AM

How to Substitute Stevia for Agave in Elanas Pantry recipes
 
Are there any tried-and-true, established methods for substituting stevia (or stevia+liquid ingredients) for agave nectar in recipes? Specifically I'm curious about how this works for Elana's Pantry recipes; I have her "Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook" and I have 4 lb of almond flour left in my fridge waiting to be used.

But I don't have, and will not purchase, agave nectar. I don't need to be dumping that much fructose into my body; my liver doesn't need that.

I read some comments on Elana's Pantry's blog in which some people said they used stevia and some liquid ingredients but they didn't specify exact quantities, and I'm not willing to risk wasting any more grocery money by venturing out on my own and guessing. That's how things end up in the trash in my house.

Hoping someone can offer some help. Thanks.

SkeeterN 03-08-2013 01:47 PM

i would like to know this too but with another sweetener besides Stevia. No matter how hard i try to like Stevia it just is either not sweet or bitter.

rosethorns 03-08-2013 02:59 PM

Gosh I tried looking for the conversion chart that Drjlocarb puts up but I can't find it.

OK so I found it .
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ons-1-cup.html

I hope this helps.

Seeking 03-08-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16304347)
Gosh I tried looking for the conversion chart that Drjlocarb puts up but I can't find it.

OK so I found it .
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ons-1-cup.html

I hope this helps.

Pretty useful thread there, subscribed. But conversions for agave nectar are not mentioned.

rosethorns 03-08-2013 04:26 PM

Sorry . I use some of her recipes but I change sweetener but I don't know how to tell you.

Seeking 03-08-2013 05:51 PM

I might have answered my own question:

1 cup agave nectar = 1.5 cup cane sugar + 1/3 cup liquid
1 tsp stevia = 1 cup sugar

therefore:

1 cup agave nectar = 1.5 tsp stevia + 1/3 cup liquid

Does this sound right to you guys? I'm getting my conversions from a site about agave conversions.

But of course this does not take into account bulk or texture at all, just sweetness...perhaps adding 1/2 cup PolyD would fix the problem?

rosethorns 03-08-2013 05:58 PM

Can you handle PolyD ? I can but not everybody can.

I think your conversions are right on. Good luck.

Seeking 03-08-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16304679)
Can you handle PolyD ? I can but not everybody can.

I think your conversions are right on. Good luck.

I don't know yet; I've never even tried it haha. Soon though. I'm still a noobie low carber in training.

Charski 03-08-2013 07:42 PM

What Essy says, and I also answered this same way in your other thread about a sweetener combo.

And to reiterate here again - all stevias do NOT sweeten equally, so that's another variable! :)

Barbo 03-08-2013 08:25 PM

The Agave Factor
 
Agave is the reason that I have not purchased her books.
Now I wonder if our LC honey would take the place of the agave?

rosethorns 03-08-2013 08:31 PM

Yes Barbo it will in some applications. I often change her recipes to what I can eat.

CarenL 03-09-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeking (Post 16303635)
Are there any tried-and-true, established methods for substituting stevia (or stevia+liquid ingredients) for agave nectar in recipes? Specifically I'm curious about how this works for Elana's Pantry recipes; I have her "Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook" and I have 4 lb of almond flour left in my fridge waiting to be used.

But I don't have, and will not purchase, agave nectar. I don't need to be dumping that much fructose into my body; my liver doesn't need that.

I read some comments on Elana's Pantry's blog in which some people said they used stevia and some liquid ingredients but they didn't specify exact quantities, and I'm not willing to risk wasting any more grocery money by venturing out on my own and guessing. That's how things end up in the trash in my house.

Hoping someone can offer some help. Thanks.

According to David Getoff, the best replacement for agave is yacon syrup. (inulin). Do a google search on "the truth about sweetners" david getoff. Its a great interview podcast. He specifically recommends replacing the agave in elanas recipes with this.

I've been hunting for it but can't find it anywhere locally. I'll probably need to break down and order online.

Seeking 03-09-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarenL (Post 16305430)
According to David Getoff, the best replacement for agave is yacon syrup. (inulin). Do a google search on "the truth about sweetners" david getoff. Its a great interview podcast. He specifically recommends replacing the agave in elanas recipes with this.

I've been hunting for it but can't find it anywhere locally. I'll probably need to break down and order online.

I found it and listened to all 1 hour and 11 minutes of it. Thank you very much for that very educational and useful link. This podcast reinforced my opinions about sweeteners and sugars.

However, Yacon syrup costs at least $22 per pound (and the quantity required to sweeten foods is comparable to sugar), so I'm not going to even think about using it. I'm going to explore stevia and erythritol.

Charski 03-09-2013 01:25 PM

Yacon syrup also has a different flavor profile than agave - it's MUCH more "raisiny" and will give you a different flavor in your finished product. And then there's the whole inulin thing, which makes me gassy as heck! :) I can tolerate it in a recipe in which it is not a major ingredient, but if it's a strong player in the recipe I just can't do it.

I do like yacon syrup though - I just find it rather strongly-flavored for some applications. I think it's a better substitute for molasses than it is for agave. For example, using a teaspoon or so of it with a cup of granulated erythritol and mixing it up really well gives you a decent approximation of brown sugar.

If you're not against using maltitol, you can use any maltitol-based pancake syrup in place of agave. Joseph's is the one I like. You can thin it down a bit to more closely appoximate the agave, which isn't as thick, at least not the one I had.

lonestarstamper 03-09-2013 01:45 PM

Charski...where did you find the yacon syrup? I have read about this sweetener, but have not found a source for it. Thanks

Charski 03-09-2013 09:06 PM

I bought it online somewhere, but honestly, it's been at least several years ago, so that company may not even exist at this point.

Amazon has quite a few choices. I have NO idea what I paid for it back then though, sorry!

jlp2009 03-10-2013 04:13 PM

I bought the cookbook and haven't made anything either. I did make the chocolate chip cookie recipe on the back of the honeyviille almond flour bag. It called for 1/2 c. of agave. I subbed 1 tbsp molasses and 1/4 c. sweetener mix (I mix several sweeteners together) for the sweetening part and added 1 egg to compensate for the liquid part of the agave. They turned out really good.

watcher513 03-10-2013 05:36 PM

I remember Kevenpa talking about this years ago for some recipe. I'd never heard of it before that. I don't remember the company but I think it started with an N. Try a net search for yacon syrup.

drjlocarb 03-10-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeking (Post 16304670)
I might have answered my own question:

1 cup agave nectar = 1.5 cup cane sugar + 1/3 cup liquid
1 tsp stevia = 1 cup sugar

therefore:

1 cup agave nectar = 1.5 tsp stevia + 1/3 cup liquid

Does this sound right to you guys? I'm getting my conversions from a site about agave conversions.

But of course this does not take into account bulk or texture at all, just sweetness...perhaps adding 1/2 cup PolyD would fix the problem?

Seeking, would you please add the agave info the the conversion thread so you can take credit for it?

Seeking 03-15-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjlocarb (Post 16308137)
Seeking, would you please add the agave info the the conversion thread so you can take credit for it?

Well I haven't tested my conversion so I don't know if it actually works. And I'd want 2-3 other people to also test it and back me up too so we know it works.

drjlocarb 03-15-2013 07:11 PM

Too late. I wasn't sure you were coming back and I posted it already. :)

If it changes, we can post the new info.

Seeking 03-22-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjlocarb (Post 16318464)
Too late. I wasn't sure you were coming back and I posted it already. :)

If it changes, we can post the new info.

Ok haha.

Seeking 03-24-2013 04:42 PM

Did more calculations that involved a very specific type of Stevia. The Stevia I purchased is SweetLeaf Organic Stevia Extract, which is available on netrition but I don't think the manufacturer is making it anymore, as I could not find it on their website. I believe they are moving towards the drops and phasing out the powder. But for those of us who still use powder, here we go:

Theoretical (as yet unproven) conversion between agave, stevia and polyD (when one uses stevia to replace sugar, one must use a bulking agent to make up for lost volume; I used polyD but I'm a noob so I make no guarantees):

1 cup agave nectar = 1/2 tsp SweetLeaf Organic Stevia Extract Powder + 1/3 cup liquid + 3/4 cup PolyD

There it is. I'm about to bake brownies with this conversion so wish me luck!

Seeking 03-24-2013 07:24 PM

Update

I started with Elana's Pantry brownies recipe and modified it a lot. I wimped out on the PolyD and used 1/2 cup instead of 3/4 cup though in my sugar conversion. Here's what I did:

Dry Mixture:
2-1/2 cups blanched almond flour
tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp arrowroot starch (I decided to add this at the last minute)
1/3 cup liquid (this is part of the sugar conversion)

Wet Mixture:
6 squares Ghirardelli unsweetened 100% cocoa baking bar, melted
3 tbsp butter, melted
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Sweetening & Bulking Mixture:
1/2 tsp SweetLeaf Organic Stevia Extract Powder
1/2 cup PolyD

The entire recipe has 90 total net carbs.

When recipe is divided into 9 brownies, each brownie has:
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3d954065.png

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8"x8" baking dish with oil and dust with almond flour. Mix ingredients separately according to their category, then combine all together. Bake for 20-35 minutes. I only needed 25 minute for mine. Let cool for 1 hour, then cut into squares.

Ok here's how mine came out: PERFECT texture, extremely soft and moist. Wonderful. I was surprised. But the TASTE was definitely not sweet enough. I will use 3-4 times as much Stevia next time and see what happens.

I ate 2 brownies and my stomach feels a little unhappy right now lol...we'll see how this turns out. I've eaten PolyD twice before now in LC Foods Inc mixes...

Seeking 03-30-2013 10:39 AM

Update
 
This time I used 1-1/2 tsp of the same Stevia powder, and I could taste no difference in sweetness. Next time I will try 3 tsp and see if that will do it. The longer I eat these brownies, the more my body adapts to them. I still do get gas but that's about it. And I am quite happy with how filling they are.

zgbethie 04-01-2013 01:13 PM

I've been looking at her recipes a lot lately too but the agave nectar and grapeseed oil have made me unwilling to try any so far. Thanks for the conversion!

I am curious as to what is making the carb count as high as it is and if there's a way to lower it some. Is it the arrowroot? Or the polyD? I'd love to make some of these but I could very quickly eat my way over my daily carb count...

watcher513 04-02-2013 06:18 AM

Found this on the net: "Agave nectar is 1.4 to 1.6 times sweeter than sugar "

Seeking 04-02-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zgbethie (Post 16348467)
I've been looking at her recipes a lot lately too but the agave nectar and grapeseed oil have made me unwilling to try any so far. Thanks for the conversion!

I am curious as to what is making the carb count as high as it is and if there's a way to lower it some. Is it the arrowroot? Or the polyD? I'd love to make some of these but I could very quickly eat my way over my daily carb count...

It's the arrowroot starch, which I added in (it's not in her original recipe). Arrowroot is a pure starch; it has 27 net carbs per tbsp. I added it in to get a better texture; have not yet tried the recipe without it.

Subtracting the fiber:
Almond Flour (2-1/2 cups): 30 grams net carbs
PolyD (1/2 cup): 24 grams net carbs
Arrowroot starch (1 tbsp): 27 net carbs
100% Cacao Ghirardelli Chocolate (6 squares): 14g net carbs

Interesting point: I've been using LiveStrong MyPlate to calculate these numbers, but I have found that their system is not accurate when you put in volume measurements (cups, tablespoons, etc). You must use weight measurements such as grams to get an accurate carb count. I think I'm going to buy a kitchen scale for this purpose. Honeyville claims that 1/4 cup = 28g, but LiveStrong is using the conversion for white flour, which is 1/4 cup = 34g; I have notified them about this flaw.

Next recipe to be attempted, lower-carb:

Dry Mixture:
3 cups (336 grams) blanched almond flour (36 net carbs)
3 tsp SweetLeaf Organic Stevia Extract Powder (0 net carbs)
tsp salt (0 net carbs)
1 tsp baking soda (0 net carbs)

Wet Mixture:
6 squares Ghirardelli unsweetened 100% cocoa baking bar, melted (14 net carbs)
3 tbsp butter, melted (0 net carbs)
2 eggs (0 net carbs)
1 tbsp vanilla extract (1 net carb)
1/3 cup water (0 net carbs)
-----------------------------
Total net carbs (not counting fiber): 51
Total per individual brownie: 5.7


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:28 AM.