Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #1

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Oat Fiber opinions, please

I need oat fiber, as usual, regularly, and unfortunately our normal source is out of it.

I am looking at the 50 lb bag available from SunOpta/Honeyville that comes out to about $2.25 a lb. Dealing with a 50 lb bag of oat fiber would make me cry... the stuff is SO difficult texture wise, but that is a significant savings.

Has anyone tried this brand?

Or the NuNaturals that is sold in small bags like Oat Fiber 500?

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I don't want 50 lb of it and find out it doesn't work the same!

Interestingly, researching it, SunOpta makes 8 different oat fiber products! they range from 200-780, though lord knows what that number refers to! They also have a rice fiber product, among other things.

Here's an interesting paragraph:
Canadian Harvest Oat Fibers 300-58 and 610 are excellent choices for calorie reduction due to their mid-range water holding capacity (300-400%), soft texture and smooth mouth feel.Oat Fiber 200-58 is a low water holding fiber and is recommended for low moisture products such as cookies and crackers.
I was just reading that "SunOpta’s Applications Team has many years of experience formulating with fiber; you can contact our application technologists at (address)." I bet we could raise their eyebrows talking about how useful oat fiber is! LOL

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Give them a call or email, preferably a call. I bet they will send you one pound samples of the different oat fibers, and maybe some rice fiber as well, for you to test out.

Talk to one of their researchers and they can help you out.

I did this with the resistant starch company (I can't remember their name now) and they sent me all kinds of samples and one of their scientists talked to me, sent me recipes they had been trying, information on what kinds of applications each version was for etc, etc. More information than I really wanted. LOL

I did this with a cocoa company too and got a large amount of 1/2 cup samples of all different kinds of cocoa!

No risk, no gain!
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I need oat fiber, as usual, regularly, and unfortunately our normal source is out of it.

I am looking at the 50 lb bag available from SunOpta/Honeyville that comes out to about $2.25 a lb. Dealing with a 50 lb bag of oat fiber would make me cry... the stuff is SO difficult texture wise, but that is a significant savings.

Has anyone tried this brand?

Or the NuNaturals that is sold in small bags like Oat Fiber 500?

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I don't want 50 lb of it and find out it doesn't work the same!

Interestingly, researching it, SunOpta makes 8 different oat fiber products! they range from 200-780, though lord knows what that number refers to! They also have a rice fiber product, among other things.

Here's an interesting paragraph:
Canadian Harvest Oat Fibers 300-58 and 610 are excellent choices for calorie reduction due to their mid-range water holding capacity (300-400%), soft texture and smooth mouth feel.Oat Fiber 200-58 is a low water holding fiber and is recommended for low moisture products such as cookies and crackers.
I was just reading that "SunOpta’s Applications Team has many years of experience formulating with fiber; you can contact our application technologists at (address)." I bet we could raise their eyebrows talking about how useful oat fiber is! LOL
Thank you so much for posting this info! I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. They are a 20 minute drive from me. Hopefully they have a retail outlet and the price is competitive.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I bought the 50 pound bag from Honeyville. It works just fine, thank god, because that would be one big mistake if it didn't.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
What are you guys making that you buy oat fiber in 50# bags?
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I've personally only bought the 4-5# bag that Honeyville sells. I don't think I'd use a 50# bag up in less than maybe 10 years. I just don't use it that often and in such small amounts when I do.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I use it in the BTF mix. I also use it 1/2 and 1/2 with coconut flour in the healthy sub rolls.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

I use it pretty much daily to make microwave "bread" or a muffin.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #9

I use about a half cup a day in our muffins. It goes fast.

My "cannister" for oat fiber is a large jar that probably started life as a mayo jar in a deli or something... had it ages now. I put in three pound bags of the 500 at once.

I am SURE they don't have a retail outlet, Yaz. they are definitely set up to sell in large quantities to commercial food manufacturers.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

They sound like the place I buy my Pea Protein from. They are a large scale distributor but they do sell Pea Protein, Fiber and Starch out of the office in 1kg bags. Everything else is in MUCH larger quantities.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:48 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
ravenrose, if you use that quantity a day, I'd think getting the 50 lb. would definitely be a savings. If you haven't signed up to get the newsletters from Honeyville, you should. They just had a 10% off recently. They also have 15% and 20% off at times, for about a week timeframe. Definitely worth it, especially for that quantity.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chewiegand
Stats: Fat/Fluff/Fit
Start Date: restart every Monday
Quote:
I use about a half cup a day in our muffins. It goes fast.

My "cannister" for oat fiber is a large jar that probably started life as a mayo jar in a deli or something... had it ages now. I put in three pound bags of the 500 at once.

I am SURE they don't have a retail outlet, Yaz. they are definitely set up to sell in large quantities to commercial food manufacturers.
Recipe please!
chewiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miboje
Stats: 147/134.1/133
WOE: Whole foods with an eye on carbs
Start Date: Feb. 2009
Oh no. :<( I've been sitting on a Netrition order for a few days. I shouldn't have waited. I need oat fiber and gluc.

Netrition has the best price I can find on oat fiber and gluc from what I've found. Honeyville doesn't carry gluc. and I need it, so that's out. I wonder how long it will be before they get it back in. I guess I'm just going to have to wait it out.

Last edited by miboje; 03-08-2013 at 07:18 AM..
miboje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I use it in the BTF mix. I also use it 1/2 and 1/2 with coconut flour in the healthy sub rolls.
How do the sub rolls turn out when you make them this way...doe they still rise and do you get the air bubble issue some get?

Can you post your recipe and directions for making them?

thank you.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bread Rolls Maria tweaked
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup oat fiber
5 T. psyllium
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup egg whites
2 drops sucralose(dos not make it sweet, just tastes normal)
1 1/8 cup boiling water
Preheat oven to 350. Combine dry ingredients in mixer. Beat in egg whites, about 1 minute. Add boiling water. Make sure you scrape the sidesof the bowl as you mix it in and beat about another minute. Plop on Silpat lined cookie sheets in 6 mounds. Bake for 65 to 70 minutes.

Yes, I do still get a bubble inside the rolls.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Bread Rolls Maria tweaked
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup oat fiber
5 T. psyllium
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup egg whites
2 drops sucralose(dos not make it sweet, just tastes normal)
1 1/8 cup boiling water
Preheat oven to 350. Combine dry ingredients in mixer. Beat in egg whites, about 1 minute. Add boiling water. Make sure you scrape the sidesof the bowl as you mix it in and beat about another minute. Plop on Silpat lined cookie sheets in 6 mounds. Bake for 65 to 70 minutes.

Yes, I do still get a bubble inside the rolls.
ugh...I wish we could solve that bubble problem.
Happens when it wants to ... no rhyme or reason...and next time they turn out fine...who knows.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #17

ladies, that's a HECK of a lot of baking powder. that's your bubble culprit, isn't it? have you tried cutting that down?

how many eggs is a cup of eggwhites? more than a dozen, for sure, I would say...

Last edited by ravenrose; 03-08-2013 at 04:33 PM..
Old 03-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Quote:
ladies, that's a HECK of a lot of baking powder. that's your bubble culprit, isn't it? have you tried cutting that down?
Nelle Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiegand View Post
Recipe please!
these are old school flax muffins...

to make 6 in a silicone muffin pan in the microwave:

teaspoon coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup flax meal
1/2 cup oat fiber
1 (smallish) scoop plain whey protein isolate
12 drops exsweetz
dash of salt
2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
1/2 cup Davinci or Torani sf syrup
1/2 cup water

mix well, then add two eggs and mix well again

add some nuts if desired

microwave 7-8 minutes on high

can also use extract/flavoring and 20 more drops ezsweetz in lieu of syrup to get flavors like banana and blueberry.

you will notice I have eliminated baking powder completely. I don't find it makes any difference, and it just adds carbs.

Last edited by ravenrose; 03-08-2013 at 04:42 PM..
Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

That's what is in Maria's healthified sub recipe... if using coconut flour it calls for 8 egg whites and 2tsp baking powder. Maybe I will experiment with less...Maria herself sent a reply to me saying she was having issues with the bubble after getting new psyllium so to try less of that.

2 tsp did seem like a lot but MIM calls for 1/2 tsp and it makes one muffin...the recipe above make 6 rolls so I just went with it. I will experiment more, because it ticks me off when I can't get something to work.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
Old 03-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Do a search on the web for pastryscoop and under the Look It Up section it says 1 cup is 7-8 large egg whites. Lots of other conversions also there in the egg section, more than I've ever seen. Looks like you can look up just about anything regarding baking and conversions. Great resource.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/172 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
Terry-thanks for sharing the pastryscoop site-there is a wealth of info there!!

is it possible to use eggwhite powder in place of all those eggwhites? I have no clue here but love the idea of using oatfiber because I need all the fiber I can get-I have had one surgery already due to diverticulitis and am trying to avoid another! I am all over recipes with increased fiber ingredients--thanks to everyone for sharing.

Jeanne
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbatchelor View Post

is it possible to use eggwhite powder in place of all those eggwhites? I have no clue here but love the idea of using oatfiber because I need all the fiber I can get-I have had one surgery already due to diverticulitis and am trying to avoid another! I am all over recipes with increased fiber ingredients--thanks to everyone for sharing.

Jeanne
I have used the egg white powder in place and it works great...I read an article where the just whites were tested against real eggs and passed every test. Maria, the creator of the recipe in question uses the whites only replacement in some of her videos.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

ok-this is going to show my ignorance at using the eggwhite powder--but do you use it in its powder state or make it a liquid to measure what the recipe calls for? If I think about it-it has to be liquid right to make the amount of moisture needed in the recipe? I am just second-quessing everything with baking this way--I feel like I am just learning to bake!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Jeanne
You should also be getting in as much resistant starch as possible! Take a look at this link, Precision Nutrition » All About Resistant Starch

Netrition sells a couple of different types, LifeSource Foods Resistant Wheat Starch 75 You can use it in recipes, especially low carb bread or just mix some in yogurt. It's not absorbed into liquid, so you can't mix it in liquids.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for that info about resistant starch-very informative-I have had a container of Resistant starch 260 for a couple of years--just didn't have any recipes to use it in! I need to find some apparently! I had no idea it had all those good properties-I emailed the info to myself to keep it! truly appreciate it!!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks for that info about resistant starch-very informative-I have had a container of Resistant starch 260 for a couple of years--just didn't have any recipes to use it in! I need to find some apparently! I had no idea it had all those good properties-I emailed the info to myself to keep it! truly appreciate it!!
You're welcome!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
ok-this is going to show my ignorance at using the eggwhite powder--but do you use it in its powder state or make it a liquid to measure what the recipe calls for? If I think about it-it has to be liquid right to make the amount of moisture needed in the recipe? I am just second-quessing everything with baking this way--I feel like I am just learning to bake!
Not stupid question... they come powdered and you dissolve the specified powder amount on the can in the amount of water it suggests...example, 12 egg whites is 3/4 cup of powder in 1 and 1/2 cups water...would have to check can to make sure. Some will add the powder to dry ingredients and increase fluid in the recipe by what it says on can. Hope that is not to confusing.

They look like they are not going to dissolve but they do...they come in handy and work well.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

thanks for that clarification--I learn something everyday here thanks to people willing to share info not just about cooking but also health! I appreciate it very much! I keep working at it--maybe someday it will all become clear as mud?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Ravenrose I bought the 50 lb from Honeyville 3+ years ago & have used half the bag. No problems whatsoever with this brand. I use it in my bread, granola bars & pancakes. No problems with it, I would buy it again in the 50 lb size.
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote