Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Really having trouble with beef broth! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/798950-really-having-trouble-beef-broth.html)

moonmirror 03-07-2013 12:57 PM

Really having trouble with beef broth!

I crave soups with a beef broth base, but ALL the canned soup in the store has additives! I don't mind using canned soup but I want whole ingredients.

It seems that most beef broth I make is not quite right. :( Even when I use a recipe down to a T. Just not "beefy" enough. The only luck I've ever really had is using whole roasted spareribs. Yes it was amazing, but WOW was that some expensive broth.

Anyone have any good tips? Thanks in advance.

pocahontas 03-07-2013 01:03 PM

How are you making it? DH and I cook our beef on the bone, then cut the meat from the bones and save those for making broth. It makes a wonderful broth, rich and flavorful. We leave a little meat on the bones but not much. I always add a glug of ACV to pull the minerals from the bones and do it in the crockpot overnight so it simmers for a good long time.

moonmirror 03-07-2013 01:06 PM

Its probably the bones/meat to water ratio I am getting wrong. I wish I had a good source for bones; it seems I pay big $$ just to make broth...then its gone just in one night of dinner (I do have a family of five :) )

pocahontas 03-07-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonmirror (Post 16302014)
Its probably the bones/meat to water ratio I am getting wrong. I wish I had a good source for bones; it seems I pay big $$ just to make broth...then its gone just in one night of dinner (I do have a family of five :) )

Could be. We save our bones in the freezer until we have a nice big bag, then I make a crockpot full of broth. We def have chicken broth more often because we cook whole birds all the time! :laugh:

greybb1 03-07-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonmirror (Post 16302014)

At the Super H Mart (Asian grocery store) they sell just the bones for making stock. You can also find a butcher and ask if they would sell you some scrap bones.

ETA: The kind of bones you want are "marrow" bones. Leg bones cut into smaller pieces and on a slant if you can get it to expose more of the marrow and knuckle bones too. If you can get veal bones to add in, that's even better. They have lots of marrow.

Edit again: Make sure you roast the bones to get the deep beefy goodness

CarenL 03-07-2013 06:03 PM

I agree with everybody, i.e., making your own is best. Epicurious has a 4 fork recipe for beef broth that is my go to. Beef-Stock-108710

That said, sometimes I need it RIGHT NOW and don't have 6 hours to slow simmer marrow bones . . .

The answer for me was Pacific brand Beef Broth. Ingredients: beef stock (water, beef stock powder), beef extract, yeast extract, sea salt, garlic powder. Not a perfect solution, but better than super carby and gluten filled canned broth.

Good luck!

Charski 03-07-2013 07:52 PM

You don't NEED to slow simmer - I make mine in the pressure cooker. Takes about an hour, which includes the 30 minute or so of cooking, the coming up to pressure, and the depressurizing of the pot naturally.

sungoddess 03-08-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16302712)
You don't NEED to slow simmer - I make mine in the pressure cooker. Takes about an hour, which includes the 30 minute or so of cooking, the coming up to pressure, and the depressurizing of the pot naturally.

That's going to be my next venture. I make it several times a week so the pot is always going and so is the smell. I think I am going to try the pressure cooking method. Doing it in an hour sounds great!!!

Charski 03-08-2013 09:15 AM

I think it does a superior job too - under pressure, it seems to extract more flavor.

sungoddess 03-08-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16303570)
I think it does a superior job too - under pressure, it seems to extract more flavor.

Thank you so much for this idea!:)

CarenL 03-09-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16302712)

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely try this!