Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Baroo2u
WOE: other
Kevin's White Bread #4 in Bread Machine? Help!!!

I've been making this recipe by hand for years--it's just so time consuming!

Well, this week I bought a bread machine!!!

Has anyone successfully used Kevin's #4 recipe in a bread machine start to finish, ie: dump in the ingredients and forget about it? I did see one recipe where the poster mixed the ingredients in a bowl, put it in the bread machine to rise, then backed the bread in the oven--which didn't make sense to me at all.

Any comments, hints, tips on how to use the WPI's, carbalose etc in my new fangled bread machine? I thought learning to use a smartphone was bad!
Baroo2u is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroo 2 U! View Post
I've been making this recipe by hand for years--it's just so time consuming!

Well, this week I bought a bread machine!!!

Has anyone successfully used Kevin's #4 recipe in a bread machine start to finish, ie: dump in the ingredients and forget about it? I did see one recipe where the poster mixed the ingredients in a bowl, put it in the bread machine to rise, then backed the bread in the oven--which didn't make sense to me at all.

Any comments, hints, tips on how to use the WPI's, carbalose etc in my new fangled bread machine? I thought learning to use a smartphone was bad!
I baked Kevin's breads for years and used my bread machine to mix and knead the dough. I always took the dough out and put it into a bread pan to rise and cooked it in the oven. These low-carb breads just need more tending, there's no getting around it. But I loved the results and experimented a lot with making sourdough bread, kaiser buns, etc., and loved the results.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Baroo.

Does your new machine have a low carb setting? I do not.

I use mine to mix all the ingredients together,
then let it sit for 20 min,
knead for 20 min,
then take it out put it in a a loaf pan to rise 60 min,
and bake
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I have a Breadman and loved making his bread in my machine. It's the only way I've ever made it. Get use to your machine first. This takes time. I have doug only and that's what I use.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: THELOU
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 1998
Diana did you modify Kevin's bread recipe any. I have tried it and it didn't raise much. Do you have any pointers? What kind of tending did you do? Which bread recipe did you use? I used the last one for white bread.
THELOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I'm not Diana but I have a really good tip. I always added more sugar to his recipes ( 1 Tablespooon sugar) for a taller rise. There are pictures in the picture thread. Let me know if you want to see them. Then I cut my slices with a electric knife. I loved his bread.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
WOE: Low Carb
I make my bread recipe in my bread machine. I don't think it matters, you could make any bread recipe in a machine. I watch and help along the ingredients to mix, then check it about 10 to 15 minutes before it is supposed to be done. Seems like the lower carb breads tend to get done earlier, but then I use the rapid setting on my machine. I have a single loaf of bread in under 50 minutes, and I do it in a large machine.
MSS726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/269/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted July 22, 2014
I've used a bread machine for over 25 years and one thing I've learned over the years is a bread machine is excellent at kneading bread dough but it isn't great for baking. The crust is thicker for some reason. You will get a much better loaf of bread baking in your oven. Some people don't mind the difference and like the convenience of doing everything in the bread machine so it's basicly your preference. Personally I don't like the holes in the bottom of my bread.

Another thing that might help, is to take all of the yeast, all of the water and 1 cup of the flour mixture that's called for in your recipe and mix just these 3 things together in the bottom of a bowl or your bread machine pan. It should make a thick pancake-like mixture. Cover and let this mixture set for 45 minutes. It will foam up some. Then add the remaining flour mixture and the rest of bread dough ingredients like salt, oil, eggs, etc. and mix/knead/bake per your recipe instructions.

The purpose of the 45 minute rest is to give the yeast a head start. This process is usually used for breads with high sugar and fat amounts that can slow yeast down. I found this procedure in a Challah bread recipe and thought why not try it with a low carb yeast bread dough. And it worked great!

HTH, Deb
dldickins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
I use basic white loaf, 1.5 lb, light crust settings. I love bread and I am lazy!
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote