Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Complete Disaster with trying LC recipes

Hey guys I've been trying more LC recipes but I'm having mixed luck with more failures than successes, and it's costing grocery money.

1. Almond flour chicken nuggets: I did this recipes the same way I make it with white flour, I just used almond flour instead of white flour. The flavor is not nearly as good. While my white flour nuggets are about 7/10, the almond flour ones are only 4/10. Blah. I won't be making them again. Did I do something wrong here or is almond flour just not very good tasting in this recipe?

2. Almond flour hush puppies: threw them out. Disgusting. Followed the same recipe I use for white flour & cornmeal hush puppies (which is delicious), subbing almond flour for white flour but these were so horrible.

3. Almond flour onion rings. Followed the same recipe I use for white flour onion rings, subbing almond flour for white flour; disgusting. Ate a few and threw the rest out.

4. Sugar-free cole slaw. I omitted the sugar and it's good in my opinion, but my fiance hates it. He says it lacks flavor.

5. Coconut-flour chicken nuggets: these were completely inedible. They had a sweet flavor, but the spices I used were seasoned salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper (as I always use) and it was so nasty. Threw them out. I don't get how other people can make coconut flour chicken nuggets and eat them; it is beyond my understanding.

6. Roasted vegetables (cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, olive oil, salt, pepper, little bit of seasoned salt): this was a huge winner. Finally something that worked.

7. LC Foods, Inc gluten-free chocolate brownies: so bad I could not finish 1 brownie; thoroughly nasty and just so very bad. Had great texture but TERRIBLE taste; had a taste that just did not belong. Does this mean I give up on LC baking? Is there such a thing as LC delicious baked goods or is that just pure fantasy?

Should I just abandon frying and get a grill instead? Tell me what grill I need. Prefer one of those portable ones you take for camping trips. Or tell me what in the heck I'm doing wrong with the almond and coconut flours.

After 3 months of experimenting with LC recipes, my LC recipe book only has 11 proven yummy LC recipes in it...

Have not yet tried Parmesan cheese chicken nuggets or pork rind ones but will be doing that soon.

Feel like pulling my hair out.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
First, congrats on TRYING stuff - that's how we all learn! BUT I hear ya on wasting grocery money.

Second, you CANNOT substitute straight across for white flour. It just doesn't work.

The BEST thing to do, to start out on this WOE and recipes conversion, is come here and use the Search feature to look up what you're trying to make. Chances are excellent that someone else has already been there, done that, and you can learn from THEIR experience, what works and what doesn't. If you don't see something like what you're wanting to make, then post a question about it - someone will be along shortly to answer it for you.

IMHO, the best breading for chicken nuggets is half crushed pork rinds (any flavor you like, or plain) and half green-can Parm cheese. Whip up an eggwhite just til it's frothy (feed the yolk to the cats/dogs or save for another use, like mayo or hollandaise sauce), add some seasonings to it and/or the "flour" mix, toss your chicken chunks in the eggwhite and then dredge in the rinds/Parm, and either oven-fry or fry in shallow oil - something that can take the heat, like expeller-pressed coconut (no flavor) or rice bran oil or whatever you like. Olive oil and butter are not meant for frying by themselves. Lard is great too, I love it!

As for the brownie mix - I've never yet found one I like. I recommend the Black Bean Cake/Brownies recipe on this board - it's so easy, doesn't use weird ingredients (well, it IS weird to put black beans in CAKE but you know what I mean!) and always comes out great. To me it's much more of a cake than brownies but it sure cures that chocolate monster.

Coleslaw, substitute whatever sweetener you like - stevia, Splenda, erythritol or whatever. You can still have that sweet taste to it, just not sugar!

Onion rings - the best way I've found to do them is add a low-carb beer (12 oz.) to 2 cups of Carbquik, stir well, let sit about 10 minutes, then dredge the onion rings in some dry Carbquik, dip into the batter, and fry. If you don't want to use a low-carb beer you can use club soda instead. You can buy the Carbquik at Netrition.

Hope this helps, ask lots of questions and do lots of searching and you'll be whipping up all kinds of goodies in no time!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Like Charski said, you can't use almond flour and coconut flour the same way you use white flour, they don't work the same way.

Like Char said, you should use the search feature at the top of this forum to search for whatever you want to make, to get an idea whether a recipe will work or just ask a question here, its the best way to find what you're looking for.

I like the fantastic flour mix that's posted here on this forum for baking with, cakes, muffins, pies, even for frying meats, there's a lot of recipes in the sticky thread. This mix is as close to white flour that I have used since low carbing.

Just remember that things made using almond flour and coconut flour won't taste the same as white flour but there's a lot if recipes on here that come close.

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 03-06-2013 at 02:16 PM..
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
What they said plus wanted to mention that not all almond flour/meal is the same. It seems that generally meal is thicker and not as fine, but I've seen it sometimes called flour and it is not as fine either. The difference in how fine it is makes a big difference in some recipes.

So far I've only tried one coconut flour so can't compre those, but I can say the first time I used it in a recipe my daughter gave me I thought she didn't give me the right measurements. I was thinking how it would be if I was using flour, which I know would have been more.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Gadget Gal

Yes, that's right too, about the almond meal/almond flour - the blanched almond flour (particularly, the one from Honeyville Grain) is the one I use, which gives me the best results in baked goods. The whole almond meal/flour (and I've seen it called both too) gives a much heavier, darker, "whole grain" type result.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
This is the one problem with the site - People are too nice, lol! Well it's a good problem to have but I noticed very rarely do people post about how BAD a recipe was you tend to only hear one side. There are Many, MANY recipes I've tried that people raved about, that I thought were just downright AWFUL! Honestly I think the best thing you could do is change your expectations. So many times I've gone into a recipe with the expectation that it would taste like the high carb version and it's just not going to happen. With all that being said I agree with Charski at least you're trying, but it is expensive and I suggest doing research and reading reviews (not just from here) before you drop a load of money on a netrition order. There are many, many good recipes here, AND good LC products you just gotta do a little work to find them.
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Gadget Gal

That's true too, Divabunny! It's such a subjective thing, and also may depend how LONG you've been doing LC - your tastes have a habit of changing and things that may not have tasted good to you BEFORE, seem pretty dang good NOW!

Reminds me of that danged pumpkin sausage soup - EVERYONE else seems to love it but no matter HOW I doctored it up (after following the recipe to a "T") I could NOT eat it. I should've known better, it didn't SOUND good to me but because everyone else raved - I thought I must be missing something good. Nope. I wasn't.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Almond flour, parm cheese, garlic powder and italian seasonings makes a great breading for chicken breasts. I do this to make chicken parmesan.

LC Foods white bread flour makes excellent breading for frying. I use it for breading just the way I used to use white flour by adding my favorite seasonings. Thats pretty much all I use it for. So although its a bit pricy, I only use it to bread things for frying so it lasts me forever. Makes excellent golden fried shrimp. It makes excellent onion rings as well. I'm not sure it would work for hush puppies though. I've tried a fried dumpling that I used to make with white flour and it did not work. It is excellent though for frying meats.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
First, congrats on TRYING stuff - that's how we all learn! BUT I hear ya on wasting grocery money.
Yeah I'm definitely trying, but it's getting expensive. lol...

Quote:
Second, you CANNOT substitute straight across for white flour. It just doesn't work.

The BEST thing to do, to start out on this WOE and recipes conversion, is come here and use the Search feature to look up what you're trying to make. Chances are excellent that someone else has already been there, done that, and you can learn from THEIR experience, what works and what doesn't. If you don't see something like what you're wanting to make, then post a question about it - someone will be along shortly to answer it for you.
Most of the things I search for haven't been extensively tried yet, like 2 or 3 people tried it, but they aren't going to give their honest opinion, they are going to be nice and polite. I looked into the "recipe" section of this site and there are not enough reviews for things to justify trying them.

I've gotten about half the recipes I've tried off of peoples' blogs, and only a few turned out good. I'm not going to try blogs anymore. Need tried and true, proven recipes...too expensive otherwise...

Quote:
IMHO, the best breading for chicken nuggets is half crushed pork rinds (any flavor you like, or plain) and half green-can Parm cheese. Whip up an eggwhite just til it's frothy (feed the yolk to the cats/dogs or save for another use, like mayo or hollandaise sauce), add some seasonings to it and/or the "flour" mix, toss your chicken chunks in the eggwhite and then dredge in the rinds/Parm, and either oven-fry or fry in shallow oil - something that can take the heat, like expeller-pressed coconut (no flavor) or rice bran oil or whatever you like. Olive oil and butter are not meant for frying by themselves. Lard is great too, I love it!
Why use egg yolk instead of the whole egg? And what do you mean by "flour" mix? Do you mean white flour with seasonings?

Quote:
As for the brownie mix - I've never yet found one I like. I recommend the Black Bean Cake/Brownies recipe on this board - it's so easy, doesn't use weird ingredients (well, it IS weird to put black beans in CAKE but you know what I mean!) and always comes out great. To me it's much more of a cake than brownies but it sure cures that chocolate monster.
I'll have to give it a try then.

Quote:
Coleslaw, substitute whatever sweetener you like - stevia, Splenda, erythritol or whatever. You can still have that sweet taste to it, just not sugar!
I've wondered about something. People say "too much" stevia gives a bad aftertaste, but how much is "too much?"

Quote:
Onion rings - the best way I've found to do them is add a low-carb beer (12 oz.) to 2 cups of Carbquik, stir well, let sit about 10 minutes, then dredge the onion rings in some dry Carbquik, dip into the batter, and fry. If you don't want to use a low-carb beer you can use club soda instead. You can buy the Carbquik at Netrition.
What is the beer/club soda doing for the recipe? Like, does it do something for the flavor, or texture, or some other thing or all the above?

Quote:
Hope this helps, ask lots of questions and do lots of searching and you'll be whipping up all kinds of goodies in no time!
I hope so! Tired of failing so often! Thanks for your help.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Quote:
That's true too, Divabunny! It's such a subjective thing, and also may depend how LONG you've been doing LC - your tastes have a habit of changing and things that may not have tasted good to you BEFORE, seem pretty dang good NOW!

Reminds me of that danged pumpkin sausage soup - EVERYONE else seems to love it but no matter HOW I doctored it up (after following the recipe to a "T") I could NOT eat it. I should've known better, it didn't SOUND good to me but because everyone else raved - I thought I must be missing something good. Nope. I wasn't.
Exactly! It is VERY subjective.

And your Pumpkin Sausage Soup is my Cream Cheese Muffins or anything made with cream cheese and a ton of eggs, ALWAYS taste like I'm eating sweet scrambled eggs
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
When breading anything I bake I coat it in mayonaise and then coat with pork rinds crushed, and parm cheese as mentioned above...bake on no stick foil and turn once to crisp both sides...you can add what ever spices you want to the crumbs or the mayo.

Grind your almond meal a little more in a blender or food processor if to meally...don't blend too much tho or you will get almond butter.

I add liquid splenda, vinegar, mayo, and lemon juice to cole slaw...you can add celery seed also.

Brownies...I haven't made a good chewy one yet but I have tried a few recipes that turn out cakey and aren't bad.

I think it is expensive to experiment at first...I found out the hard way not to buy anything that includes soy in the ingredients because it gets that awful taste you describe in the brownies...no matter how good it sounds, I will not buy if soy is listed anywhere in ingredients. I threw away like 3 or 4 bags of granola substitute before figuring this out.
Remember that nothing is going to taste exactly as it did before so the simpler the recipe the better.

I highly recommend the mayo, parm and pork rind breading with seasonings...I put it on chicken strips all the time.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking View Post
Yeah I'm definitely trying, but it's getting expensive. lol...

Most of the things I search for haven't been extensively tried yet, like 2 or 3 people tried it, but they aren't going to give their honest opinion, they are going to be nice and polite. I looked into the "recipe" section of this site and there are not enough reviews for things to justify trying them.

Not to dis this site, but I've never had much luck in the Recipes section, personally. I do MUCH better sticking to this board, searching here, asking questions here, and following the advice of all the wonderful cooks here. Look for stuff by LindaSue, Jennifer Eloff, The Chicken Lady, Carolyn, Barbo - there are plenty more, those folks come to the top of my addled brain right now though.

I've gotten about half the recipes I've tried off of peoples' blogs, and only a few turned out good. I'm not going to try blogs anymore. Need tried and true, proven recipes...too expensive otherwise...

I only trust the people on THIS site, and those of them here who have their own blogs, for the most part! AND I won't usually try it unless it has at least 5 people who've tried it and liked it - even better if they're people whose judgment has served me well in prior recipe attempts.

Why use egg yolk instead of the whole egg? And what do you mean by "flour" mix? Do you mean white flour with seasonings?

I use the white, not the yolk. Using the whole egg gives it that "eggy" taste a lot of people, including my DH, don't care for. Using the white only, and whipping it up til it's frothy, makes the "flour" stick really well without adding egg taste or getting cakey, as they can sometimes do with the whole egg. The flour mix I'm speaking of would be whatever LC blend you're doing - crushed pork rinds and Parm cheese, Carbquik, one of Jen Eloff's wonderful mixes, Ouizoid's "better than flour" mix - definitely NOT regular white flour.

I'll have to give it a try then.

I've wondered about something. People say "too much" stevia gives a bad aftertaste, but how much is "too much?"

That depends - on your own personal preferences, and even more, on the brand you buy. I've tried a LOT of different stevia products and the one I like best is the NuNaturals NuStevia No Carbs blend (it has erythritol in it too) in the 3.5 ounce container. It takes very small amounts - I've found that about 1/2 teaspoon of it is roughly equivalent to about 1/2 cup sugar, in sweetening power, and I've never gotten a bitter taste with that brand/product. I certainly have with OTHER brands though. I won't buy anything else at this point, in the stevia family.

What is the beer/club soda doing for the recipe? Like, does it do something for the flavor, or texture, or some other thing or all the above?

The carbonation in the beer or soda gives a nice lift to the batter, making it rather tempura-like in the finished product.

I hope so! Tired of failing so often! Thanks for your help.
Good luck, keep trying, do some searching on this board (let us know if you need help with that feature) and ask questions when you need to. Everyone here started out where you are at SOME point, so don't feel silly asking questions! Most here are very helpful people!

Last edited by Charski; 03-06-2013 at 07:36 PM..
Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #13

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yeah, I think the thing you need to take away from this is, start with a low carb recipe, not a regular carby one, until you are practiced at the conversion. some people are better at this than others!

figure out whose recipes you like and follow that person. as stated, there are a LOT of terrible recipes around here and people don't post that.

then keep a notebook about it, because it can be very frustrating to recall you made a GOOD cheesecake and a TERRIBLE cheesecake and not know which was which!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #14

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Yup, what everyone said..

I haven't been too happy with LC mixes, I'm afraid..Our recipes here are much better, I think.

I make the best coleslaw recipe..(My friend's dad always made it and I subbed Splenda).

One bag of slaw (or chop up your own)
Green pepper, diced

Dressing:
For every cup of mayo, add 1/4 cup of vinegar and equal parts Splenda. Grate part of an onion and add the juice to the dressing. Add to the cabbage and toss and refrigerate.
You can "play" around with the sweetness/sourness, and you can always add more
of everything.

CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...nies-cake.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-frosting.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...day-twist.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cake-bars.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ion-rings.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...flour-mix.html

Here are a few threads for you to look over. When you search, you need to search for threads, they have all the info and tweeks from others.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EllaP
Stats: 229/144/139
WOE: HF/MP/VLC
While I think LCF is the best place for finding recipes that have been tried and tweaked and has great support for questions, I do hit the blogs for recipes, too. Several of which are well known here on LCF, but one of my favorite blogs is written by a just turned 17 year old. His recipes appear simple and his photography is amazing. Check out Slim Palate. Take a minute to read his story. He's a young inspiration.
EllaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Pecan Pie Anyone?

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ally-here.html

Here are 2 more of my favorites.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #18

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
Quote:
It's such a subjective thing, and also may depend how LONG you've been doing LC - your tastes have a habit of changing and things that may not have tasted good to you BEFORE, seem pretty dang good NOW!
I'll second that. Some stuff I tried in the beginning and couldn't stand, I now at least like - some not all. I think it really helps to just do without substitutions for a bit and then you taste memory isn't so clear. Not that the stuff will necessarily taste amazing right away, but you can see the potential and make your own tweaks for your tastes.

For instance the "cheese danish" which I'm sure you would think taste like sweetened egg. I pretty much thought the same thing at first, but then I did some tweaking of my own and now like it occasionally. It would never be an every day thing, but occasionally I enjoy it.
Karerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Shameless suggestion - you need a couple of good, reliable cookbooks too.
Jennifer Eloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
When you step into this way of life , it can be very challenging. But it is a journey
sometimes good sometimes not.

You have to see what your body can handle and that will change in your journey.
A lot.
Everything we are saying is what you will find out in time. When I first started it I was for my out of control weight. Since then I've learned I'm allergic to a lot of foods. So there are alot of foods I don't eat. But that not all.

Last edited by rosethorns; 03-07-2013 at 08:55 AM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #21

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
I just made a recipe I found on pinterest and it is totally nasty. Called Coconut Bread. It was so huge that it was way to big for one piece of bread. After making I sliced it in half and used one half yesterday. Had way to much garlic powder and oregano and I tried to like it and ate it anyway as the low carb ingredients are so expensive. Just sat in my stomach like a brick and I seriously wasn't very hungry the rest of the day.

So stupid me tries again to eat the second half this morning by making it into a sort of Egg McMuffin. OH Good Goodness it was like trying to eat a mushy stick in your throat piece of garlicky corn bread texture dry mess.

I deleted this recipe from my pinterest board and NEVER again.
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
So stupid me tries again to eat the second half this morning by making it into a sort of Egg McMuffin. OH Good Goodness it was like trying to eat a mushy stick in your throat piece of garlicky corn bread texture dry mess.

Thanks for the laugh, Skeeter.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
In my opinion you should start here:

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Recipes

Lindasue is a member here and her recipes are very reliable. She rates them and so far I've agreed with all her ratings. She doesn't often use unusual ingredients. Good luck!
jlatislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/184.8/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Way back when I tried all the substitution recipes...until I found that the best tasting lowcarb recipes were ones that weren't imitations of high carb foods; it seemed the simpler it was the better it tasted.

I have had some luck with simple switches like using a fresh vegetable in place of lasagne noodles or rice.

But anything I made with a flour substitute always tasted "off," and lowcarb food should always be wonderful in my book!
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I agree that food should be wonderful, LC or not. Why eat bad food? And the suggestion to not try to substitute regular recipes with LC products, especially in the beginning, is a good one. The one exception I would make to that is sweeteners - I will substitute another sweetener for sugar, but only based on the manufacturer's ratio. Other than that I prefer a recipe that was LC from the start. I am talking specifically about baking here, because I love to bake. A roast chicken is going to be low carb anyway, as long as you don't dredge it in flour (sprinkle herbs on it instead). Same for a vegetable soup if you avoid potatoes and the other starchy veggies.

There are some great low carb blogs, too. Look for recommendations on some of the sites that people here have - they are a wealth of excellent information, not just for recipes.

You are learning a new way of cooking... think of it as being in a different country, and have fun!
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
well, to me, anything made with cauliflower tastes like....cauliflower. If it has a lot of eggs, it tastes like an omelette....sorry. We all have different tastes and Char is right, our tastes change. I just realized that when I tried to eat a regular cookie...so sweet I couldn't eat it.
I tried making noodles with low carb ingredients...don't!! LOL
Coconut flour is difficult to work with and requires lots of eggs so I don't really use it.
Almond flour is easiest to get used to using and versatile. Get the good stuff though...blanched, fine ground for best results.
The very first low carb recipe that I made was Jennifer Eloff's coconut bars (that's not the exact name but something like that). They were easy and really good. Check out her stuff!
Hope this helps.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abitobeef
Yes sadly baked goods don't translate well. When using cauliflower try roasting it in the oven.
abitobeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I remember when I first started cooking and baking low carb, there were a lot of disasters. I threw out a lot of inedible food.

You are right about roasting vegetables, it brings out their flavors and make them very tasty.

I remember using mashed and riced cauliflower for a potato and rice sub. I didn't think it made a very good potato sub but it wasn't too bad as a rice sub. Just don't expect one food to taste like another because it never will. I don't use cauliflower expecting it to be a sub for anything, I use cauliflower as cauliflower and that's what it tastes like..cauliflower. My family was really supportive of my low carb experimenting lol.

I like using Parmesan and different seasonings for a breading and in meatloaf and meatballs.

The biggest and most important thing to learn is that you can't use almond flour and coconut flour the same as you would all purpose flour. They have different properties and will not work the same. Another thing is the kind of almond flour you use. One type is called almond meal or unblanched almond flour, which has been ground with the skins on. The other type is called blanched almond flour and has been ground without the skins and has a lighter texture when used in cakes and cookies. Most people like baking with blanched almond flour.

As far as blogs, I will look at recipes then come back here and see if others have tried it, if it uses ingredients that I want to experiment with, and if it looks good. The more you cook and bake the better you will get. The only way to learn is to try.

There's the Low Carbing Among Friends cookbooks that you could check out. They're cookbooks with a collection of wonderful recipes from cooks and bakers, a lot from this board, with lots of recipes both sweet and savory.
A lot of the recipes are tried and true from people on this forum. There are threads on here where people discuss different recipes. I can't imagine anyone would say a recipe was good just to be nice. I think there are different reasons for recipes failing. It could be due to using different brands, can cause different outcomes, people also have different tastes so what one person likes another may not.

The fantastic flour mix (BTF) is the closest to regular flour that I've ever tried. It works great for cakes, pies, cookies, donuts, pancakes, a coating or batter for meat, poultry and fish. It's the only low carb flour mix that I can use like I would regular all purpose flour in recipes. It does need more liquids than when using in place of regular flour. It's a learning curve when baking that you will need to experiment with. I just made some amazing onion rings using a batter I made with the fantastic flour mix.

You really are learning how to bake and cook all over again. In time you will be able to read a recipe and have a very good idea if it will taste good, just like when reading the old high carb recipes. I'm not sure what you can use for ingredients but the fantastic flour mix uses coconut flour, oat fiber, protein powder, egg white powder, Glucomannan and baking powder. You can find all these ingredients at Netrition and some you can find at honeyville grains. I wouldn't advise you to buy all of these ingredients unless you feel comfortable experimenting with this flour mix. Everything I've made using it has come out great.

Don't give up, you will learn, it just takes some experimenting. When trying a new recipe it's best to make a small batch that way if it doesn't turn out good you won't be throwing away a lot of food.

The chicken lady's almond flour fudge cake and carrot cake are really good, they both use almond flour. Both of these cakes are tried and true recipes, and are highly rated.

If you find a recipe you want to try you can always post it and ask if it looks like a good recipe that will work. People here are really helpful if you need help.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I want to agree with the poster above that suggested finding recipes that are naturally low in carbs, or just leaving out a portion of the recipe that is high carb (eg, leaving out pasta from a vegetable soup recipe) rather than trying to make a lot of substitutions.

Could someone point me to TheChickenLady's carrot cake recipe!?
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cipe-pick.html
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote