Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Linda's Pumpkin Bake - splenda question (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/798669-lindas-pumpkin-bake-splenda-question.html)

dipsydoodle 03-03-2013 10:55 PM

Linda's Pumpkin Bake - splenda question

Hi all,

I would prefer to use stevia instead of splenda in Linda's Pumpkin Bake . I know nothing about baking with artificial sweeteners, although I've looked up information about the exchange rate between stevia and splenda. Has anyone tried this in this recipe? Or have any comments about baking with stevia? I don't even know what brand to get, or if liquid is better than granular when it comes to baking. Any ideas? :dunno:

lterry913 03-04-2013 09:24 AM

I know a lot of people here use stevia glycerite to bake...It is supposed to have less of an after taste and taste sweeter. If no one chimes in just google it followed by low carb friends and the different threads will pop up...good luck.

Btw the pumpkin pie bake is sooo good you will love it. taste the batter as you add the stevia til desired sweetness. After baking let cool completely and refrigerate, as the longer it cools the better it tastes. It works this way for most low carb sweetened treats.

dipsydoodle 03-04-2013 08:40 PM

Thanks a ton! I went out and bought some Sweet Leaf, which seemed to be the best choice at my grocer's. Of course, I forgot that I don't have a can opener to open the pumpkin can, so ixnay on makin that today... :p

Heheher 03-05-2013 12:09 AM

I use only stevia for sweetener. I use Now brand powdered or liquid. I like the powder better. I agree with the post above about taste As you add. I have found that a little bit of the sweetness cooks out so I make the batter just a tad too sweet. Good luck! Top it of with a little bit of whipped cream that you sweeten with stevia! Yummy!!

JLx 03-05-2013 07:37 AM

I've had some notable disasters trying to change Splenda recipes into other sweeteners. There is a recipe called "Primal Pumpkin Bake" which is the same as "Jody's Pumpkin Bake" only sweetened with stevia. I've made it with that brand and amount of stevia and it was just right.

lterry913 03-05-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLx (Post 16296541)
I've had some notable disasters trying to change Splenda recipes into other sweeteners. There is a recipe called "Primal Pumpkin Bake" which is the same as "Jody's Pumpkin Bake" only sweetened with stevia. I've made it with that brand and amount of stevia and it was just right.

I knew one or more of you would be able to steer her in the right direction...such helpful people here.:shake:

dipsydoodle 03-10-2013 10:30 PM

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies - forgot to check back. :) I wound up just adding and tasting, adding and tasting. I'll have to look up the primal pumpkin bake!