Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Sous Vide - Just ordered a DorkFood temp controller for my neice, thanks Charski! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/798648-sous-vide-just-ordered-dorkfood-temp-controller-my-neice-thanks-charski.html)

greybb1 03-03-2013 06:05 PM

Sous Vide - Just ordered a DorkFood temp controller for my neice, thanks Charski!
 
My niece Shannon is an avid home chef and thanks to Charski for speaking so highly of the DorkFood DSV Temperature Controller for Sous-vide I ordered one for her along with an inexpensive vacuum sealer.

I can't wait to share experiences and recipes with with my neice.

I love my Sous Vide Supreme Demi, and the DorkFood DSV Temperature Controller for Sous-vide makes it affordable for me to share my love of sous vide with Shannon. :)

So excited I just had to share.

So, for my next sous vide experience I'm making French Onion Soup later this week.
Wish me luck!

Charski 03-03-2013 07:15 PM

OH that is so exciting!! :clap: I hope she enjoys hers as much as I enjoy mine!

Now that DH has turned loose of some of the equipment I need to USE mine - :annoyed: - maybe this week I can make something in it again! :D I REALLY want to try those beef ribs you did, greybb!

EllaP 03-04-2013 04:59 AM

Very cool! I hope you share her experiences with sous vide.

Another method of caramelized onions sous vide here, but has a little more initial prep. I saw on another site where someone did them in a mason jar to avoid the bagging altogether.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing your results.

Charski 03-04-2013 08:30 AM

WOW - love the caramelized onion trick! I'll have to try that one too!

ravenrose 03-04-2013 08:51 AM

you know what worries me about this technique? It's back to the old COOKING IN PLASTIC, right? you know all plastic migrates into food with exposure, especially at heat... I know this is not very high temp, but still...

plastics are widely thought to be the primary factor in the obesity epidemic, not to mention diabetes. many of the compounds are endocrine disruptors, and metabolic syndrome is all about those hormones. just be careful, you guys! *hugs*

Charski 03-04-2013 09:18 AM

I have no problem with cooking in plastic meant for food cooking. These vacuum seal bags are just that.

No worries if YOU don't want to though. To each his/her own choice.

ravenrose 03-04-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16294697)
I have no problem with cooking in plastic meant for food cooking. These vacuum seal bags are just that.

No worries if YOU don't want to though. To each his/her own choice.

yes, absolutely a personal choice. I believe the research that says there really is no safe plastic for food exposure, but lord knows there is probably no food we get that hasn't had plastic exposure at some point in it's processing and shipping life! so it's all a matter of degree.

greybb1 03-04-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllaP (Post 16294044)
Very cool! I hope you share her experiences with sous vide.

Another method of caramelized onions sous vide here, but has a little more initial prep. I saw on another site where someone did them in a mason jar to avoid the bagging altogether.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing your results.

I LOVE Emily's blog! One of these days I'm going to do her ricotta cheese sous vide.

phurst_gal 03-05-2013 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16294626)
you know what worries me about this technique? It's back to the old COOKING IN PLASTIC, right? you know all plastic migrates into food with exposure, especially at heat... I know this is not very high temp, but still...

plastics are widely thought to be the primary factor in the obesity epidemic, not to mention diabetes. many of the compounds are endocrine disruptors, and metabolic syndrome is all about those hormones. just be careful, you guys! *hugs*

I use a silicone bag I bought fom Amazon. It was crazy expensive (20$), but Foodsaver bags aren't exactly cheap, either.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:25 AM.