Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Divabunny
Stats: 215/195/160
WOE: Just making better choices
Start Date: 1/2/14
Can you sub gluc powder for xanthan gum?

If so would it be a 1:1 ratio? There is a recipe I want to try but I really don't want to buy a bag if I don't need to, I already have the gluc.
Divabunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
That was my question. I specifically wanted to make Jen's Bake mix, and it calls for 3/4 tsp xanthan gum and I wonder if I could use the Gluc instead.
SCOTTSDALEJULIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
YES you can use it. NO, it's not 1/1. and the problem is, it's like thickening with cornstarch vs. flour, say... yes, in general you use a LOT LESS cornstarch, but it's hard to give you a conversion factor that works because the chemistry is different in different types of recipes!

I would say, try the same amount of gluc and see. but don't START your experiments with a recipe full of very expensive ingredients. both gluc and xanthan thicken with less than guar, but in every case, whether you cook something matters, and how long it sits, and how acidic it is, etc., etc. So even if someone TELLS you it's 1.2 to 1 or whatever, that's not going to be strictly true, it's just a rule of thumb to start with and see what works.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
YES you can use it. NO, it's not 1/1. and the problem is, it's like thickening with cornstarch vs. flour, say... yes, in general you use a LOT LESS cornstarch, but it's hard to give you a conversion factor that works because the chemistry is different in different types of recipes!

I would say, try the same amount of gluc and see. but don't START your experiments with a recipe full of very expensive ingredients. both gluc and xanthan thicken with less than guar, but in every case, whether you cook something matters, and how long it sits, and how acidic it is, etc., etc. So even if someone TELLS you it's 1.2 to 1 or whatever, that's not going to be strictly true, it's just a rule of thumb to start with and see what works.
Awesome, thanks so much for the explanation!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
Diva, if you do experiment with this ratio, would you tell us your results?

Thanks!
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy girl View Post
Diva, if you do experiment with this ratio, would you tell us your results?

Thanks!
I sure will! It's actually an ice cream recipe so as soon as I get my ice cream maker from amazon, I'm going to give it a go
Old 03-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divabunny View Post
I sure will! It's actually an ice cream recipe so as soon as I get my ice cream maker from amazon, I'm going to give it a go
I wasn't going to comment on this thread until I read this and ice cream making is one of the few applications where I prefer xanthan over glucomannan. In my opinion gluc adds a funny kind of sticky, gummy mouthfeel to ice cream, and also some other milky based recipes, that I find really unpleasant.

There is a reason why xanthan and a some other gums work better in ice cream than glucomannan but I can't remember what is is. It's in the book I recently bought about Food Stabilisers and it's at home. I'll look it up tonight.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I wasn't going to comment on this thread until I read this and ice cream making is one of the few applications where I prefer xanthan over glucomannan. In my opinion gluc adds a funny kind of sticky, gummy mouthfeel to ice cream, and also some other milky based recipes, that I find really unpleasant.

There is a reason why xanthan and a some other gums work better in ice cream than glucomannan but I can't remember what is is. It's in the book I recently bought about Food Stabilisers and it's at home. I'll look it up tonight.
Hi Pam, I know you are a fan of gluc and I apologize for hijacking. About how much goes in each of your baked goods recipes? For example; snickerdoodles with 1 1/2 cup almond flour and stick of butter, etc.

TIA
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
Hi Pam, I know you are a fan of gluc and I apologize for hijacking. About how much goes in each of your baked goods recipes? For example; snickerdoodles with 1 1/2 cup almond flour and stick of butter, etc.

TIA

I would use at least 3/4 tsp. Also let the batter sit for at least 5 mintes after mixing to let the gluc hydrate.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I would use at least 3/4 tsp. Also let the batter sit for at least 5 mintes after mixing to let the gluc hydrate.
Thank you so much!
TBipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I still have problems with LC thickeners. Xanthan gum always seems to taste funny to me, even when I just use a tiny bit. Glucc is better, bit still adds a bit of weird mouthfeel. I wish I knew the magic solution...
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote