Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Can you sub gluc powder for xanthan gum? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/798620-can-you-sub-gluc-powder-xanthan-gum.html)

Divabunny 03-03-2013 09:52 AM

Can you sub gluc powder for xanthan gum?

If so would it be a 1:1 ratio? There is a recipe I want to try but I really don't want to buy a bag if I don't need to, I already have the gluc. :)

SCOTTSDALEJULIE 03-03-2013 10:22 AM

That was my question. I specifically wanted to make Jen's Bake mix, and it calls for 3/4 tsp xanthan gum and I wonder if I could use the Gluc instead.

ravenrose 03-03-2013 10:55 AM

YES you can use it. NO, it's not 1/1. and the problem is, it's like thickening with cornstarch vs. flour, say... yes, in general you use a LOT LESS cornstarch, but it's hard to give you a conversion factor that works because the chemistry is different in different types of recipes!

I would say, try the same amount of gluc and see. but don't START your experiments with a recipe full of very expensive ingredients. both gluc and xanthan thicken with less than guar, but in every case, whether you cook something matters, and how long it sits, and how acidic it is, etc., etc. So even if someone TELLS you it's 1.2 to 1 or whatever, that's not going to be strictly true, it's just a rule of thumb to start with and see what works.

Divabunny 03-03-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16292786)
YES you can use it. NO, it's not 1/1. and the problem is, it's like thickening with cornstarch vs. flour, say... yes, in general you use a LOT LESS cornstarch, but it's hard to give you a conversion factor that works because the chemistry is different in different types of recipes!

I would say, try the same amount of gluc and see. but don't START your experiments with a recipe full of very expensive ingredients. both gluc and xanthan thicken with less than guar, but in every case, whether you cook something matters, and how long it sits, and how acidic it is, etc., etc. So even if someone TELLS you it's 1.2 to 1 or whatever, that's not going to be strictly true, it's just a rule of thumb to start with and see what works.

Awesome, thanks so much for the explanation!

lazy girl 03-03-2013 11:26 AM

Diva, if you do experiment with this ratio, would you tell us your results?

Thanks!

Divabunny 03-03-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazy girl (Post 16292843)
Diva, if you do experiment with this ratio, would you tell us your results?

Thanks!

I sure will! It's actually an ice cream recipe so as soon as I get my ice cream maker from amazon, I'm going to give it a go :)

PaminKY 03-04-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divabunny (Post 16292955)
I sure will! It's actually an ice cream recipe so as soon as I get my ice cream maker from amazon, I'm going to give it a go :)

I wasn't going to comment on this thread until I read this and ice cream making is one of the few applications where I prefer xanthan over glucomannan. In my opinion gluc adds a funny kind of sticky, gummy mouthfeel to ice cream, and also some other milky based recipes, that I find really unpleasant.

There is a reason why xanthan and a some other gums work better in ice cream than glucomannan but I can't remember what is is. It's in the book I recently bought about Food Stabilisers and it's at home. I'll look it up tonight.

TBipp 03-04-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaminKY (Post 16295214)
I wasn't going to comment on this thread until I read this and ice cream making is one of the few applications where I prefer xanthan over glucomannan. In my opinion gluc adds a funny kind of sticky, gummy mouthfeel to ice cream, and also some other milky based recipes, that I find really unpleasant.

There is a reason why xanthan and a some other gums work better in ice cream than glucomannan but I can't remember what is is. It's in the book I recently bought about Food Stabilisers and it's at home. I'll look it up tonight.

Hi Pam, I know you are a fan of gluc and I apologize for hijacking. About how much goes in each of your baked goods recipes? For example; snickerdoodles with 1 1/2 cup almond flour and stick of butter, etc.

TIA

PaminKY 03-04-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBipp (Post 16295256)
Hi Pam, I know you are a fan of gluc and I apologize for hijacking. About how much goes in each of your baked goods recipes? For example; snickerdoodles with 1 1/2 cup almond flour and stick of butter, etc.

TIA

I would use at least 3/4 tsp. Also let the batter sit for at least 5 mintes after mixing to let the gluc hydrate.

TBipp 03-04-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaminKY (Post 16295273)
I would use at least 3/4 tsp. Also let the batter sit for at least 5 mintes after mixing to let the gluc hydrate.

Thank you so much! :)

Jakelilydad 03-05-2013 01:50 PM

I still have problems with LC thickeners. Xanthan gum always seems to taste funny to me, even when I just use a tiny bit. Glucc is better, bit still adds a bit of weird mouthfeel. I wish I knew the magic solution...