Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Need ideas for graham cracker crust replacement (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/798319-need-ideas-graham-cracker-crust-replacement.html)

CarenL 03-02-2013 07:52 AM

Need ideas for graham cracker crust replacement

I would like to try my hand at a real cheesecake today, but am confused about what to sub for the graham cracker crust. I've tried Jennifer Eloff's crust (which is heavenly with Chars Killer Quiche) but I'm not sure it would be that awesome with a sweet application. I've got all kinds of weird ingredients in my pantry (thanks to you'all crazy women! j/k ;) so I can prolly cobble together anything even if it's somewhat exotic. Any idears?? I was wondering too, if anyone had tried weesie's BTF in an application such as this?

at_last 03-02-2013 09:01 AM

I gave up trying to find an acceptable substitute and just make mine without a crust. I will say I tried a flaxmeal crust and it was yuck. It got all slimy and nasty, and I'm normally a fan of flaxmeal. Love muffins made with it, but not crust.

miboje 03-02-2013 09:03 AM

I use almond meal.

Tweaker Geek 03-02-2013 09:50 AM

Do you use Kevin's Carbalose flour mix at all, miboje?

NAT&RD 03-02-2013 10:07 AM

I make mine without crust, serve with chopped toasted pecans on top. gets the right crunch per bite, without getting soggy

miboje 03-02-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 16290769)
Do you use Kevin's Carbalose flour mix at all, miboje?

No, I just use straight almond meal, erythritol to sweeten it up a bit, and melted butter to hold it all together.

The Chicken Lady 03-02-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miboje (Post 16290848)
No, I just use straight almond meal, erythritol to sweeten it up a bit, and melted butter to hold it all together.

I use the same thing, I like it better than the graham crackers.

CarenL 03-02-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady (Post 16290879)
I use the same thing, I like it better than the graham crackers.

Thank eberybody for the replies. Do you prebake this?

The Chicken Lady 03-02-2013 11:08 AM

Yes, I bake it until it's lightly browned.

CarenL 03-02-2013 11:15 AM

I found this also!

Cleochatra's Nut Crust

1/3 cup macadamia nuts
1/3 cup cashews
1/3 cup almonds
2 Tbsp erythritol (can sub other sweetener)
cup butter, melted.

Making the crust:
Process nuts together until resembling coarse crushed graham crackers. Mix processed nuts, butter and erythritol. Press in bottom of a 9 springform pan. Place in fridge to solidify. Add cheesecake filling and bake or refrigerate according to instructions.

Sounds similar! Will try it!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...pie-crust.html

northwoods nan 03-02-2013 11:21 AM

I just made one with flax meal and almond flour, butter, sugar sub and an egg white to bind it. I make just the crust to use for a crunchy treat or with lc ice cream, or berries.

CarenL 03-02-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northwoods nan (Post 16290938)
I just made one with flax meal and almond flour, butter, sugar sub and an egg white to bind it. I make just the crust to use for a crunchy treat or with lc ice cream, or berries.

YUM! lc ice cream! what a thought! Now i need to hunt up recipes for this. So much for getting the taxes done this weekend! :hyst:

jlp2009 03-02-2013 05:01 PM

look at banana split cake on tihs forum. That crust turns out nice and seems to hold up well.
I have also concocted my own using a mixture of Jennifers bake mix, vanilla protein powder, oat bran, a little brown sugar sub or other sweetener. Then cut in soft or melted coconut oil and butter until it is crumbly but sticks together.
I also use this as a crumble topping with a bit more sweetener.
I don't have exact measurements since I just dump things together.

jlp2009 03-02-2013 05:04 PM

that banana split cake is Bobo36us's recipe...thanks Bobo!!!

Snickygirl 03-02-2013 05:21 PM

Wheat Germ is another option that mimicks graham cracker taste and feel. If you google low carb crust / wheat germ, you'll find variations.

tofucheez 03-03-2013 06:21 AM

I've never tried it, but I think Capella drops come in a graham cracker flavor.

CarenL 03-03-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofucheez (Post 16292256)
I've never tried it, but I think Capella drops come in a graham cracker flavor.

Cool! I would have never thought of that!

mirinblue 03-06-2013 01:18 PM

I mix almond flour, pecan meal, butter and a couple tbs of sweetner, press it into the bottom. Bake for abt 10 minutes, cool, fill. I use the same for pumpkin pies and cream pies. My son, who is HC loves it more than a regular crust! And so do my neighbors!!

PaminKY 03-07-2013 07:18 AM

I use unsweetened coconut (sometimes I will whirl it a bit in a coffee grinder to make it finer), almond meal, a bit of golden flax meal, sweetener, melted butter and just a bit of blackstrap molasses.

I make this all the time for my brother's cheesecake since he does have celiac and he likes it better than regular graham cracker crusts.

rosethorns 03-07-2013 08:44 AM

I just make it with no crust.

CarenL 03-24-2013 06:22 AM

After much hand wringing, I decided to try this crust for my cheesecake. The only thing I did different was pre-bake it until slightly brown. oh and i added 1/3 cup of jen's bake mix to the nut mixture to hold it all together, which it did beautifully.

Cleochatra's Nut Crust

1/3 cup macadamia nuts
1/3 cup cashews
1/3 cup almonds
2 Tbsp erythritol (can sub other sweetener)
cup butter, melted.

Making the crust:
Process nuts together until resembling coarse crushed graham crackers. Mix processed nuts, butter and erythritol. Press in bottom of a 9 springform pan. Place in fridge to solidify. Add cheesecake filling and bake or refrigerate according to instructions.

OMG - this was WAY better than a traditional graham crust. Best cheesecake & crust I've ever had. (I used the recipe for the cheesecake factory clone cheesecake in the recipe room - exactly as written, subbing only the crust).:jumpjoy::clap::yummy:

Tweaker Geek 03-24-2013 06:40 PM

I made Gina's cheesecake last week and she used a pecan crust, it's a very nice crust, IMO. I made it exactly as written except I added 1 tsp. of cinnamon, yummy!

Crust:
1 1/2 cups Ground Pecans
3 tablespoons Butter
1/2 cup Sugar ( I used Xylitol)

In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Press the nut mixture firmly into bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate. ( I used a 10" springform pan).
Bake at 325 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until the edge is golden brown.

Jakelilydad 03-24-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek (Post 16334307)
I made Gina's cheesecake last week and she used a pecan crust, it's a very nice crust, IMO. I made it exactly as written except I added 1 tsp. of cinnamon, yummy!

Crust:
1 1/2 cups Ground Pecans
3 tablespoons Butter
1/2 cup Sugar ( I used Xylitol)

In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Press the nut mixture firmly into bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate. ( I used a 10" springform pan).
Bake at 325 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until the edge is golden brown.

I just made this, too, and it was terrific! Everyone at the dinner party loved it, even the non-low carbers (which was everyone but me!). The cake was even better the next day, and makes a killer breakfast IMHO.

watcher513 03-25-2013 03:48 AM

1/2 cup of sugar in the crust????! Wow, that would be sweet!

Tweaker Geek 03-25-2013 01:19 PM

It wasn't overly sweet to me, but you could always use less sweetener if you thought it would be too sweet for you.

buttoni 03-25-2013 01:26 PM

Here's the nut crust I use:

Peggy's Pecan Crust:

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/4 c. finely ground pecans
3 T. unsalted butter softened
3 packets Stevia or Splenda
1/4 c flax meal

Combine all ingredients and press into bottom of glass pie plate. Bake in 375 oven for 10 minutes to toast pecans a bit and bring out their flavor. Cool and fill as desired. If using for a cheesecake, be sure to not over brown crust before filling and finishing baking the cheesecake. Can also be used as a pie crumble topping for cheesecakes and cream pies.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
Serves 8
Each serving has:

116 calories, 11.98 g fat, 2.36 g carbs, 1.79 g fiber, 0.63 NET CARBS