Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Zevia and Carbs (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/798276-zevia-carbs.html)

MSS726 03-01-2013 09:09 PM

Zevia and Carbs

I bought some Zevia at the health food store and was looking at the back of the can, and it is 7 carbs! I also have some Diet Rite with splenda, and it is 0 carbs, as is the dreaded diet Coke with aspartame. This definitely would not be good for someone on induction, and someone that is not aware could end up with a lot of carbs if drinking more than one can.

rosethorns 03-02-2013 05:56 AM

Have seen the diet coke with splenda? I drink it.

tofucheez 03-02-2013 06:00 AM

I got a six pack for one dollar...normally I would never have purchased it----it's about 6 bucks for a six pack! I got it because it said zero calories, but then I saw that carb count and it's been sitting in my kitchen ever since...

Nigel 03-02-2013 06:28 AM

I bought a 6pk at regular price and it defintely isn't worth it.
I drank one and the rest are just waiting to expire. Ugh!!

LindaSue 03-02-2013 07:13 AM

The carbs are from the erythritol. They say that you don't need to count those, but I'm not so sure.

MSS726 03-02-2013 01:56 PM

I would buy the diet coke with splenda, but unfortunately, they don't make it caffeine free and I have had to cut out caffeine recently. :(

That being said, I will have a caffeine free diet coke with aspartame on a rare occasion - very rare. I wish these companies would listen to people!

Yes, the Zevia did not impress me taste wise at all. Won't buy it again.

ncgirl 03-02-2013 02:48 PM

I didn't think it was absolutely terrible, but it rumbles my tummy on an empty stomach. I only tried it because they had grape, and it's hard to find 'diet' grape soda here. But I agree that's it's not worth the price (or the rumbles).

flossie73 03-03-2013 06:57 AM

It's not worth the price. However, if you are only an occasional pop drinker (which I am) it wouldn't do a person much harm. It is a low-carb alternative to regular soda and to chemically sweetened sodas, which is what Jorge Cruise, of The Belly Fat Cure fame, recommends. I've tried several flavors and the only one I might buy again would be the grape. (I'm not trying to be a know-it-all-hypocrite either, as I'm not a snob to the use of products that contain Splenda. Ha ha.)

Chocolate Rose 03-03-2013 08:52 AM

I actually like Zevia. I don't care for any of the "normal" diet sodas (refuse to use aspartame and don't care for the taste of the other sweeteners), so Zevia is a nice occasional treat for me. I especially like the black cherry flavor, but, I like most of them (except for grape). The soda I miss the most, though, is Barq's root beer. We have one store that carries Virgil's Zero Root Beer. It's also sweetened with stevia, but has 0 carbs. It's the best substitute I've found for Barqs. It's really good, too, with a little cream added to it.

Charski 03-03-2013 10:26 AM

We really like most of the flavors, the cherry cola is good! I don't count the carbs listed. Erythritol doesn't bother me in any way. As LindaSue says, that is what the carb count is about - so I ignore that part. I never count Erythritol when I use it for any purpose.

PaminKY 03-04-2013 02:02 PM

I've tried all the flavors and for drinking I prefer the Caffeine-Free Cola. I don't know why it tastes different from the regular cola but to me it does.

I like to use the Dr. Zevia and the orange for cooking.