Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Atkins book advice please (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/798230-atkins-book-advice-please.html)

jackicrayne 03-01-2013 02:42 PM

Atkins book advice please

Hubby and I want to go back onto Atkins after several years of hiatus. Now...which, IYHO is the best book to buy? The Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, Atkins for Life or The New Atkins for a New You by 3 doctors I've never heard of?

rosethorns 03-01-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackicrayne (Post 16289228)
Hubby and I want to go back onto Atkins after several years of hiatus. Now...which, IYHO is the best book to buy? The Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, Atkins for Life or The New Atkins for a New You by 3 doctors I've never heard of?

The first 2 I know and I'm pretty sure they are by Dr. Atkins. The last one I've never heard of.

There use to be a website. I don't know if it is still there. You can also get them at the thirft store.

Here is an induction thread.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...es-thread.html

Here is a great thread to help you.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...s-newbies.html

HTH

Tweaker Geek 03-01-2013 06:37 PM

I would look for Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution, the original book from 1972. It's the best IMO. If I couldn't get that I would go with Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. I have both books and I still refer to them even though I've been low carbing for a long time. I also have Atkins for Life but I don't like that one nearly as well as the other two.

Good luck on your low carb journey.

buttoni 03-01-2013 06:56 PM

I don't like the Atkins for Life book so much either. I like the Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution the best, too.

watcher513 03-02-2013 01:51 AM

Check with your library used book store also if you have one.

CarenL 03-02-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackicrayne (Post 16289228)

I bought the New Atkins for a New You by J. Volek and S. Phinney. It is an updated version of the original Atkins with the latest tweaks such as helps for "induction flu" etc. I choose this because this was the basis of Jimmy Moore's recent NK experiment after having stalled out on low carb alone. It discusses what they call a "well formulated low carb diet" - translation: not too much protein which can derail weight loss. It stresses the need to get your 20 grams of carbs from non-starchy vegetables, which I am a big believer in (for the micronutrients!). I'm sure anything Atkins would be a vast improvement over SAD, but I wanted the latest iteration of a diet that was developed over 30 years ago with recent science contributions etc. Just my 2 cents.

I've been dieting ALL MY LIFE and this is the first time I've been able to stick with anything longer than 3 months (and that's with several episodes of cheating interspersed). On this diet, I've had very minimal cheating (only twice) because the food you do eat is so completely awesome. Cheeze-Its and other stuff like that just doesn't hold a candle to the great things we are allowed to have on this! Plus, once out of induction, you can have all sorts of muffins, pancakes and other things (wonderful recipes right here) AND NOT GAIN A OUNCE!

My husband, who is a skinny guy, did it with me just to provide the moral support and he lost that last little bit of muffin top that he never could rid himself off before. He loves the food I make and is more gung ho than ever!! :yummy:

CarenL 03-02-2013 07:27 AM

Oh, BTW . . . :welcome:

jackicrayne 03-02-2013 07:42 AM

Thanks to all. I did download Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution (that's the one I used to have). I'm very anxious to get started...today is the day! Going to Costco to get all the basics. Hopefully I'll find a really good recipe for ketchup here in the recipe board. Hubby loves his ketchup.

CarenL 03-02-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackicrayne (Post 16290438)
Thanks to all. I did download Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution (that's the one I used to have). I'm very anxious to get started...today is the day! Going to Costco to get all the basics. Hopefully I'll find a really good recipe for ketchup here in the recipe board. Hubby loves his ketchup.

If you dont mind Splenda (sucralose) Heinz makes a low carb ketchup that is indistinguishable from the real mccoy. Also, it totally works in a low carb bbq sauce recipe (mandatory staples at our house)! After you are out of induction search this board for that recipe - it's adapted from Big Al's Kansas City BBQ sauce on the all recipes web site. It is beyond amazing.