Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Going to the fish market tomorrow. What would you recommend?

I always eat Snapper. I want to try something else

I want to try one of the following that I've never had

Halibut
Orange Roughy
Trout
Want to take a stab at Monkfish again. Tried it once, just threw it on the grill and it was tough. Anyone have any good recipes or suggestions to prepare monkfish?

So which of the above to you recommend?
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I love Orange Roughy bake in butter , lemon,lots of herbs & spices.

I have 4 Trout in my freezer and Halibut.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
I LOVE Halibut. Trout is really nice as is Haddock.

I tend to just pan fry my fish in ghee or coconut oil. I prefer to bake salmon as I always overcook it any other way.

I did recently buy a nice Asian seasoning blend that is really nice on fish. I just sprinkle it on while it's in the pan.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
The general rule of thumb is 8 minutes per inch of thickness of the fish - I usually cook it 4 minutes on each side, whatever it is, although DH loves his salmon quite rare so his gets cooked less!

I love halibut too - I tend to make it easy, just sprinkle on some Cavender's Greek seasoning or other seasoning you like, and pan-fry in a tablespoon each of olive oil and butter.

Salmon, I broil - I coat it with a teaspoon or so per side of brown sugar substitute (and I still have a lot of brown Diabetisweet, which has been discontinued, but you can make a good facsimile by adding a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses to a cup of white Diabetisweet or maltitol, if you can eat it, or even erythritol) - then douse it with some Worcestershire sauce and make a sort of paste, just rub it around; turn over and do the same on the other side. You want a nice skinless filet or a 1" or more thick steak for this. DON'T add anything else! I've tried to spice it up and it ruins it, and I'm one who loves garlic and onion and stuff! The sugar substitute will sort of caramelize (so watch it closely as you broil so it won't burn) and it's delicious. It's about the only way I'll eat salmon.

We had that last night; tonight we had camarones a la diabla (spicy shrimp) - I'm apparently on a seafood kick this week!

I'm not a big fan of freshwater fish so I can't help you with the trout.

As for the monkfish, I can't even find it around here any more, haven't seen it in YEARS - but what I liked to do with it was sort of poach it in butter. It took on a decidely lobster-like flavor and texture that way.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote