Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   "breaded" baked chicken thighs (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/798120-breaded-baked-chicken-thighs.html)

A&F 02-28-2013 06:08 PM

"breaded" baked chicken thighs

Tonight's dinner will be "breaded" baked chicken thighs and wilted spinach. I made the breading with ground almonds, flax meal, and some spices. Never tried anything like this before; hope it turns out yummy.

Has anyone else tried something like this before? How did it work out for you?

Mistizoom 02-28-2013 06:15 PM

I use almond flour to bread boneless skinless meats after dipping in egg wash (thin pork chops and chicken usually) and pan fry, but I've not tried baking the meat. Works well but you have to be careful when turning or the coating comes off. Baking would probably alleviate that issue. Let us know how it came out!

Casey 02-28-2013 06:20 PM

I use crushed pork rinds!

northwoods nan 02-28-2013 06:35 PM

put some olive oil on the pan first and put the chicken skin side down 1st and cook about 25 minutes at 350-375, then turn it over to finish cooking, the skin side gets seared and it finishes up with a nice crunch.

Chocolate Rose 02-28-2013 07:27 PM

I use a combo of almond flour and parmesan. Sometimes I throw in garlic and/or parsley and/or Italian seasoning. Sometimes I sprinkle with dry ranch dressing. I love juicy thighs!!

elainesmith 03-01-2013 04:07 PM

I use Ouisoid's Fantastic Flour Mix (Better than flour) mix...just like regular white flour breading.

Sorry for that spelling on her name!

ouizoid 03-01-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elainesmith (Post 16289286)
I use Ouisoid's Fantastic Flour Mix (Better than flour) mix...just like regular white flour breading.

Sorry for that spelling on her name!

It's a pretty weird name!!:shake:

Strawberry 03-01-2013 07:04 PM

Sorry to thread jack but... Is there a story or meaning behind the name Ouizoid?

ouizoid 03-02-2013 11:43 AM

strawberry--my name is "Ouis" pronounced: weeze

dianafoot 03-03-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elainesmith (Post 16289286)
I use Ouisoid's Fantastic Flour Mix (Better than flour) mix...just like regular white flour breading.!

I asked about using the btf mix to coat and fry things in the other thread, but didn't see any comments about it. When you use her mix to coat meat, do you dip it in an egg wash first, do you fry it, or bake it or what?

A&F 03-12-2013 05:42 PM

Some great ideas ladies!

dianafoot 03-12-2013 06:26 PM

I tried using ouiz's mix to fry chicken. I put some BTF in a bag along with a little salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning and shook the chicken pieces to coat them. Then I dipped the chicken into a mixture of egg and hot sauce (a la Paula Deen) and shook again in the flour. I heated the oil to 350 and put the chicken in. It browned really fast and I had to turn it over within a minute. I covered and let cook on low for about 10 minutes, turned once again and let cook another 10 minutes, and uncovered and let finish for 6-7 minutes. It was delicious, but not crispy-crunchy like flour fried chicken. It was more biscuit-y for want of a better word. I'm gonna keep trying!

elainesmith 03-12-2013 06:29 PM

Sorry I haven't answered sooner, the babies I keep, my nieces 4 month old and 2 year old have had that AWFUL virus...and I've had my hands full especially since I keep my elderly mother since my Daddy died in November.

Anyway, sometimes we do the egg wash, sometimes we just do dip the damp meat and it always works out. This flour mix of Ouiziod's IS great stuff

Have a blessed day

buttoni 03-12-2013 06:38 PM

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...onbutt/147.jpg
Here my recipe for Oven-Fried Chicken. It's nice and crisp right out of the oven, Diana. It reminds me of the "original" KFC recipe. After it cools, it's not quite as crisp, so I re-crisp any leftovers in the oven on day 2. ;)

INGREDIENTS:

3 chicken thighs
3 chicken drumsticks
stick unsalted butter or 1/4 c. homemade mayo
c. grated Parmesan cheese
2 T. Ranch dressing powder, my Seafood Spice Blend, or your choice spices
2 T. parsley, chopped very fine
1/8 tsp. black pepper
c. plain pork rinds, crushed fine

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in microwaveable bowl. In a separate container, mix all dry ingredients. Dip each piece of chicken into butter, rolling to completely cover. Then roll in the dry coating mix to cover on all sides. Place on foil covered baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. If exceptionally large thighs, check for doneness with a knife, right next to the bone. Add more cooking time if needed. Serve at once with your favorite veggies.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 3 servings, each contains:

579 calories
4.7 g fat
1.4 g carbs
.07 g fiber
1.33 g NET CARBS
47 g protein

dianafoot 03-12-2013 07:12 PM

That's beautiful, Peggy! I will have to try your version. Thanks for the recipe.

buttoni 03-13-2013 09:37 AM

Hope ya like it, Diana. I don't do "fried" chicken often, but it's not bad this way when I get a craving for it.