Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
Been on plan a month, want Bread...just a good, simple, lowcarb bread recipe...

I don't have any fancy ingredients, just coconut flour, almond flour, eggs, almond milk, almond butter, and various AF sweeteners (Stevia, Splenda with Fiber, etc.). I'm really getting bored with my meals though I've been pretty creative, and this is a tough one for me. I've gone through many recipes, but want a fool proof, good recipe I can make a sandwich from (tired of eating lettuce sandwiches), or a grilled cheese. I've thrown out so many failed concoctions. Don't like a really heavy bread. One for regular bread, and one for a good lowcarb sourdough would save me from despair! Thanks so much to everyone in advance. I don't have Carbquick or anything like that, and can't find Erythritol in my stores.
[img]3rd goal - get to Onederland by New Years Day!!
Make a lifestyle/eating change forever
Down 50 pounds after starting back July 5th
razberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
With those ingredients you could try to google marias healthified sub, marias protein bread. I have tried the first recipe and it can be hit or miss as a loaf but as smaller loaves or rolls they turn out better...I haven't tried the second recipe but it should work as it is based of the oopsie roll recipe but no yolks so no eggy taste...i want to try and use some flax for added texture. It looks like it would make a good grilled sandwich.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: northwoods nan
Stats: 173/150/140
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: June 1 2011
Try Bob's Red Mill Low Carb Bread Mix from Netrition. It is a bit spongy but bakes up into a really nice loaf. Best I have found.
northwoods nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
I haven't tried this yet but it looks really good.

It's from the simplylivinghealthy.org blog.

The Perfect Paleo Biscuit
Makes 9 biscuits
6 egg whites
3/4 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, chilled

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Cut in cold coconut oil with a fork until the mixture is crumbly. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. In a medium bowl whisk egg whites until they are very frothy. Fold the egg whites into the chilled flour mixture until well combined. Scoop about 1/4 cup of dough onto the baking sheet and smooth the top to form each biscuits, an ice cream scoop works well in this step. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Serve warm or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
I have a boat load of blog links to bread, cracker, pizza crust recipes on my Pinterest page, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post that here.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Have you made the almond butter bread?

It's really good to me. Very simple bread.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
I've tried quite a few recipes and my favorites are Maria's Healthified Sub and the Almond Butter Bread.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks so much everyone! I may have to try one of the almond flour recipes, and also order the Bob's mix. I wasn't a fan of the Oopsie, too eggie for me, but maybe I just never quite got it right. I have some saved on Pinterest, too, so maybe I'll just try one with good comments this weekend, and if not try the almond bread, then last resort order the mix. Thanks again ladies! I managed to stay on plan tonight. I had a dill pickle, then 15 minutes later a 3 carb Dannon yogurt with 5 blackberries (have to always eat a pickle first to keep my sugar down if having the berries), and 6 macadamia nuts. I had plain 3 carb yogurt with chia seeds for breakfast, for lunch a hamburger steak with a salad and tea. No diet sodas today. I went shopping at HEB after work and found some HEB brand green chili pork carnitas with only 1 carb that I'll try this weekend and let everyone know how they taste. I hope I can make some good bread to have a little something to sop up the goodness with. I got some regular chicken breasts I'm going to try and make some type of Asian chicken style. I bought two bags of fresh hericot vert green beans that I'll have with it this weekend. I made them last weekend with garlic, shallots, ginger, and this lowcarb ginger/sesame dressing I had. They were amazing. I had to keep the leftovers from hubbie and daughter. And hopefully some good bread for a grilled cheese!!

Last edited by razberry; 02-28-2013 at 08:14 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I found this on another site, it's a LC Sourdough bread, but made with cashews & no carb count. I think it may be too carby for me, but I could do a different nut. Anybody have any ideas about it? It's hard to find a Sourdough lowcarb bread using real starter.

Grain Free "Sourdough" Bread
(gluten/grain, dairy, starch, sugar free)
Ingredients:
10 ounces unroasted/raw cashews or cashew pieces* (cashew pieces are generally cheaper)
4 ounces filtered water**
20-30 billion probiotic strains. (The probiotic is what cultures the batter and makes it sour. I use the contents of 2 capsules from this brand but there are many brands that work well such as Jarrow, which is found at most health food stores. They come in all different amounts of strains per capsule. Just use as many capsules as you need to get 20-30 billion)
2 large eggs, separated
1 tablespoon filtered water
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
One egg yolk plus 1 teaspoon water for egg wash
*10 ounces cashews is about 2 cups. However 'cups' is an unreliable way of measuring whole nuts/pieces
** 4 ounces water is about 1/2 cup
You will need a 7.5 X 3.5 inch Magic Line bread pan or one of equivalent size or double the recipe for a standard size loaf pan.
Instructions:
1. For the "sourdough" starter:
In a food processor blend together the cashews and filtered water until very smooth. Stop and stir as needed to keep the mixture moving as it is quite thick. Transfer to a non reactive bowl (such as glass or ceramic), add the probiotic powder and stir till well combined. The mixture will be quite thick. Don't worry about that just, be sure to stir the pro-biotics in very well.
If you do not have a food processor, you can buy cashew flour through nuts.com or weigh out the cashews and make cashew flour in a blender/coffee grinder, then add the water and pro-biotics. To make the flour, just blend the cashews in small batches until they are about the consistency of almond flour. Be careful that they don't turn into cashew butter. I prefer the outcome of the bread with the food processor method best
Cover the bowl (I use a plate to cover mine), you don't want the mixture to dry out. Just like making yogurt, keep the bowl in a warm environment (I use my oven with the light on) between 105-110 degrees for at least 12 hours or even up to 24 hours. The longer it sits the more sour it becomes.
Culturing in the oven:
Place the covered bowl in the oven and turn the oven light on. Leave the mixture there for about 12-up to 24 hours. I leave mine over night and bake in the late morning.
Keep in mind that some oven lights do not create enough heat to successfully culture, however, I have never had trouble with this. The temp should be around 105 degrees up to 110 degrees and the mixture should taste good and sour when it's done. Culturing cashews is not nearly as sensitive as making yogurt since you are not trying to get anything to "set up". But the amount of "sourness" you get does depend on the environment.
2. When the culture is ready, preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
3. Prepare the 7.5 X 3.5 inch Magic Line bread pan by greasing and lining it with parchment paper. Make the paper long enough so that it flaps over both long sides of the pan.
NOTICE: If you choose to use a standard loaf pan in stead of the size listed above, you will need to double the recipe (baking times will vary). If your pan is NOT at least 3/4 full of batter you will not get a nice rounded loaf. To you it will look like it didn't rise at all. This is not is problem with the recipe, it is the case with ALL and any quick bread recipes.
4. Transfer the cashew mixture to a larger bowl. Take care to get as much of it transferred as possible. Using a rubber spatula works best for this.
5. Separate the egg yolks from the whites, putting the egg whites into a medium sized bowl. Add the yolks, tablespoon of water to the cashew mixture and beat till smooth and it is lump free.
6. Rinse and dry the beaters so there ready to beat the egg whites. Just Before beating the egg whites though stir the salt and baking soda into the cashew mixture.
7. Now beat the egg whites till soft peaks form. Gently fold them into the rest of the batter till the egg whites are no longer visible. Tip: When beating egg whites, be sure not to over-beat into a firm peak or they won't fold into the batter well. When you turn your whisk upside down, the peaks should just be starting to hold. They'll be soft and should melt back into themselves after a second.
8. Transfer the batter to the prepared 7.5 X 3.5 inch Magic Line pan and gently smooth the top. Batter MUST fill the pan about 3/4 full or you will not get a nice round loaf.
Prepare the egg wash by whisking together the egg yolk and the water smooth. Using a pastry brush, very gently brush the egg wash on top of the bread batter. This takes a gentle touch.This will give the loaf a nice crusty finish and help it brown nicely.
9. Bake at 300 degrees for 50 minutes. At 50 minutes, leave the bread in the oven and turn the temperature up to 375 degrees. Bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the top is golden and crusty.
Do not worry if the top cracks some. Remember this is considered a quick bread and the sign of a good rise is some cracking at the top of the loaf. The loaf in the above pictures happened to crack on the side so you can not see it as well. The cracks will smooth out some as the bread cools.
10. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes. Do not cut into it right away as the moisture needs time to redistribute.
Once cooled slightly.....slice, serve and enjoy
Old 03-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Ginny Larsen has a cheesy bread (LC/GF) she makes in a GT Express. A little parmesan and almond meal in it with some other things. She did a video of it too.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote