Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Coconut Flour Bread (lots of eggs!) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/798076-coconut-flour-bread-lots-eggs.html)

jillybean720 02-28-2013 06:59 AM

Coconut Flour Bread (lots of eggs!)

I had been using the almond butter bread recipe, but I found it too dense and almondy for many uses (like grilled cheese - it just didn't work for me at all). In my search for another bread alternative, I came across this recipe:
10 Large Eggs
5 Tbsp of Melted Butter
1 Tsp of Salt
3/4 cup Coconut Flour
2 Tsp of Baking Powder

Preheat oven to 350 ° F. Whisk eggs until fluffy. Add the melted butter. Mix dry ingredients and add to the egg mixture. Stir. Put a parchment paper in a loaf pan and pour mixture into it. Bake for about 35 minutes.
I copied this recipe from a blog (Swedish Diet - Eating Fat Makes You Skinny: White Bread LCHF), the author of which had translated it from a Swedish website (LCHF Recept: Ljust bröd att rosta | LCHF Recept.com).

I made it with the alteration that the recipe calls for sesame seeds on top of the loaf, which I omitted. Mine did take longer than 35 minutes to bake, more like 45-50, I think. I LOVE this bread! It makes a small loaf, but I sliced it very thin and froze the slices. I just take out two at a time, defrost, and toast in a toaster oven, and enjoy a little peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or just toast and pile on some butter or cream cheese. Good stuff, and I will be experimenting with more seasonings and such, as this has a very mild/bland flavor that I think will be easier to alter than the almond butter bread. I'll be trying both sweet and savory variations. It's a LOT of eggs, though, so have to prepare for this one ahead of time, as I don't always have 10+ eggs on hand!

rosethorns 02-28-2013 07:28 AM

I personally love the almond butter bread.

You might get a very coconutty bread. Good luck. I hope it works for you.

jillybean720 02-28-2013 11:00 AM

It did/does work for me (if you read, I made it). I much prefer this to the almond butter bread in texture and flavor. With only 3/4 cup coconut flour in the entire loaf, I did not get a coconut flavor at all. And I am pretty sensitive to coconut flavor and scent - no matter how many people tell me coconut oil doesn't taste or smell like coconut, I can always both smell and taste it!

Strawberry 02-28-2013 11:10 AM

Thats really cool looking bread!

How would you describe the texture of it? Is it a more light fluffy bread, or more dense like cornbread?

My Central Martket apparently has started to carry coconut flour in the bulk bins... but they are ALWAYS out when I go! I'm so eager to get my hands on some coconut flour. I wanted to try it in a pancake recipe.... and I think I'd like to try your bread recipe if you recommend it.

jillybean720 02-28-2013 05:55 PM

It's more dense, not so much fluffy. I would say it's similar to a dense regular wheat flour-based bread. I cut my slices super thin, though, so they are flimsy when fresh, and I toast them before putting anything on top.