Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fiddlejen
Stats: 296 oh no!!/287/..a whole lot less!!..
WOE: Fast-5
Start Date: IF 2013->Atkins 2/20. 3/13 aiming for Atkins Again
St Pat's Day - Boiled Dinner?

Does anybody know of a good LC version of a recipe for New England Boiled Dinner?
fiddlejen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I always do corned beef brisket, cabbage and turnips
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Yep, that's what we do, and add some onions!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
New England Boild Beef

Here's my recipe:

New England Boiled Beef

This is one of my husband’s favorite dinners. The very first time he ever had it was at Brennan’s , in the French Quarter in New Orleans. He simply fell in love with it. He’s not very fond of cabbage, but absolutely loves it cook in a pot of beef stock like this. Using grass-fed beef for this for the very first time tonight, made this the very best boiled beef dinner I have ever made! I used a grass-fed beef chuck arm roast that was fairly small, about 2 lbs. total, with a small marrow bone in it. The meat literally fell apart taking it out of the pot, it was so fork-tender. No knife needed! The wonderful stock, after our meal, was placed in jars and frozen for soups and other uses. I don’t like to cook my vegetables to death in this boiled dinner, so I like to simmer my meat for an hour or two, until completely done, before adding the veggies. The vegetables only simmer in the stock for about 20-30 minutes, just until tender, depending of course on how large I cut them up. This way the veggies don’t disintegrate in the stock and lose their vibrant color. AS it is nearly impossible to calculate the per serving counts for this as that will vary on the size of the meat portion and veggies, but I have attempted to do so basing it on a 5 oz. portion of meat and the specified portions of veggies. Since the classic New England Boiled Beef vegetables are usually higher-carb veggies, this dish is fairly high in carbs. You can cut the carbs by about 12 net carbs by skipping the ˝ small potato listed and shown above, subbing in either red radishes or turnips. This dish is better saved to AFTER INDUCTION, since it is so carb-y. But I would add that it is a very nutritious dinner indeed. Check out the stats on this one! It is definitely suitable for a Paleo-Primal lifestyle.

INGREDIENTS:

2 lb. small grass-fed beef arm roast (should serve 5 people after bone removed)
2 T. olive oil
3 large 8″ carrots
1 large onion
3 small red potatoes
20 oz. green cabbage, cut in 5 wedges
10-12 black peppercorns
Sea salt (optional)

DIRECTIONS: Heat olive oil over high heat in large stew pot. If you wish to speed up cooking, I recommend cutting roast in half. Brown meat well on all sides in the hot oil. When well-browned, cover with water enough to cover 1″ above the meat. When it comes to a boil, lower heat so that it is just simmering. Add peppercorns, cover and cook low about 1-2 hours or until done and pretty tender. While the meat is cooking, cut your veggies. Cut the carrots into large 1-2″ pieces. Cut the potatoes into halves. Cut the onion into 5 wedges. And finally, cut five 4 oz. wedges off your head of cabbage. When the meat is done, place the carrots, potato, onion around the meat. I like to lay the cabbage on top of everything, so it really steams and doesn’t overcook. That way you can dip whole wedges of cabbage onto each plate for a nicer visual appeal. If there is not enough stock to half cover all veggies, add a little more water to the pot. Bring to a boil again, lower to a simmer, cover and cook about 20 minutes, just until potatoes and carrots are just done but not getting mushy. Serve at once. This is great served with your favorite low-carb rolls and butter.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 5 servings (5 oz. meat each). Each serving contains:

377 calories
13.1 g fat
30.0 g carbs, 6.1 g fiber, 23.9 g. NET CARBS
35.4 g protein
162 mg sodium
1273 mg potassium
44% RDA Vitamin A, 80% B6, 111 B12, 73% C, 12% E, 9% calcium, 37% iron, 24% magnesium, 24% manganese, 64% niacin, 58% phosphorous, 67% selenium, 31% riboflavin, 107% zinc
Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
Corn beef hash is really good too. After boiled dinner.
rosethorns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
EASY CORNED BEEF & CABBAGE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fiddlejen
Stats: 296 oh no!!/287/..a whole lot less!!..
WOE: Fast-5
Start Date: IF 2013->Atkins 2/20. 3/13 aiming for Atkins Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
Corn beef hash is really good too. After boiled dinner.
Can hash be made with something other than potatoes? I thought they were required, and I don't think potatoes are low-carb at all.

I mean, I can see just dicing up the meat & cabbage & then frying it, but would that be hash, or anything like hash?? Wouldn't it just be, well, fried meat & cabbage?

Would using turnips make it be hash? (Although.. and somehow, I thought turnips were high in carbs too?)
fiddlejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DiggingDogFarm
I use corned beef or cottage ham, cabbage, rutabaga, cauliflower, celery and a bit of onion.

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Fiddlejen, turnips are LC. You could make hash out of turnips, radishes, jicama, celery root, or any LC veggie you like. I use jicama or celery root.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlejen View Post
Can hash be made with something other than potatoes? I thought they were required, and I don't think potatoes are low-carb at all.

I mean, I can see just dicing up the meat & cabbage & then frying it, but would that be hash, or anything like hash?? Wouldn't it just be, well, fried meat & cabbage?

Would using turnips make it be hash? (Although.. and somehow, I thought turnips were high in carbs too?)
It would be hash without the carrots and potatoes lol

You could try using radish, I see some people posting that they fried them and used instead of fried potatoes. Turnips work well too and are not too high carb.

We always had ham boiled dinners growing up and it was just ham, potatoes, cabbage and carrots. Now I just have ham, carrots and cabbage. No recipe really, I just put everything in a pot with water, cover and cook until the veggies are to my liking, which is really tender. I like to sprinkle some vinegar on to my carrots and cabbage after its on my plate.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote