Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Dehydrator- best uses and ideas (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/798036-dehydrator-best-uses-ideas.html)

millergirl1976 02-27-2013 12:01 PM

Dehydrator- best uses and ideas

I am getting a dehydrator this week, and I would love to hear what all you do with yours. I will do some google searching, but TNT is always the best way to go!

rosethorns 02-27-2013 12:54 PM

You will have so much fun with your dehydrator. I make lots in it.

Tomatos dried into powder for soups
Beef jerky
Kale chips
Delicata chips

I know there are other let me think.

Charski 02-27-2013 01:57 PM

We make beef jerky, salmon jerky, dried zucchini and yellow squash "chips", kale "chips" and lately we soak, sprout, and then dehydrate various grains to make our own sprouted breads (like Ezekiel but cheaper and better!) - I love ours, it's an Excaliber and has 9 big drying trays so you can do LOTS at the same time.

millergirl1976 02-28-2013 03:48 PM

Yeah! I love these ideas!

Can you tell me more about delicata chips and kale chips? Like seasonings and prep?

Charski 02-28-2013 06:47 PM

Kale chips are super simple. Wash and dry the kale, pull out the central rib if it's tough, and tear the leafy part into "chips" - they do shrink as they dehydrate, word to the wise! Then I put them in a big bowl and add maybe a teaspoon of EVOO, kind of massage them all around until there is a very thin film of the oil on all the leaves. Sprinkle on a little sea salt (not too much, it really concentrates as they dry) and toss again, then put on your dehydrator trays and let them go til they're crispy.

DH and I can clear a whole big bunch of kale done this way in record time!

it's so good for you, too.

millergirl1976 03-04-2013 07:09 PM

I just made my first batch of kale chips! Everything I have ever wanted roasted kale to be- crunchy and salty and delish. I just used about a teaspoon of coconut oil, and some Trader Joes seasoning- they have a grinder of sea salt, garlic, rosemary and onion. Can't wait to try more! I am going to try green beans, and delicata. And jerky! So excited.

tofucheez 03-07-2013 05:17 AM

what's "TNT?"

Google gave me 1) the explosive, 2) Turner Network Television, and 3) the NY Tactical Narcotics Team. Somehow I don't think these apply here...

Soobee 03-07-2013 06:13 AM

Tried and true, I think.

tofucheez 03-07-2013 07:29 AM

thanks, soobee.

never would have thought of that one!

flossie73 03-08-2013 05:15 PM

Is the clone Ezekiel recipe available, Charski, or is it a secret? I just bought a loaf today on sale... for $4.50.

Charski 03-08-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flossie73 (Post 16304701)
Is the clone Ezekiel recipe available, Charski, or is it a secret? I just bought a loaf today on sale... for $4.50.

Flossie, it's not a clone per se because I don't use all the different types of sprouted grains that they do, and I specifically avoid the soy - it's nothing more than the recipe that came with my Zo for whole wheat bread, and I'm using our own sprouted/dehydrated/ground wheat flour in it in place of store-bought whole wheat flour.

I can give you the particulars if you want though - just let me know! :D