Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Tortilla/Pita (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/798035-tortilla-pita.html)

Yaz 02-27-2013 12:32 PM

Tortilla/Pita

This is the recipe I've been using for tortilla's.

1/2 tbsp Psyllium Husk
2 tbsp Oat Fiber 500
1/2 tsp Spices, Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
30 g Simply Egg Whites
1/4 or more cup Water - enough to make a runny batter.
10 g Whey Protein Concentrate, Unflavored - Progressive organics brand
Dash of salt
1/4 tbsp sweetener - I used splenda
1/4 tsp glucomannan

Mix dry ingredients, add eggs and water. Pour into greased pan and spread as you would a crepe. Cook until the top is completely dry then flip and cook the other side.

The picture I posted also had 1/2 tbsp flax meal and an extra 10g of egg whites.

Per Livestrong the original recipe based on the ingredients I'm using has the following stats, but I think there must be a mistake as the dietary fiber is higher than the total carbs?

Calories 67, total carb 8.58g?, dietary fiber 11.9g?, sugars 0.73, protein 11.95g

For a thicker pita add more egg white. If you want it softer, turn it over sooner and cook on lower heat for less time.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/at...218_191941.jpg

millergirl1976 02-27-2013 12:59 PM

That is gorgeous. Can you translate grams in to cups or tablespoons by chance?

rosethorns 02-27-2013 01:56 PM

I made these this morning . You have to thin them out between each time of cooking. The batter will get thick.And move them out with your fingers to get a round shape.

Yaz 02-27-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16284494)
I made these this morning . You have to thin them out between each time of cooking. The batter will get thick.And move them out with your fingers to get a round shape.

It helps to make the batter REALLY thin, so that you can spread it like you would a crepe. Make sure the pan is greased and that it's not too hot when you put the batter in. Pour batter in centre and lift pan and twist? to allow the batter to spread.

If you're going to make a Pita you will use a thicker batter and have to use the back of a spatula or spoon to spread it out.

Yaz 02-27-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millergirl1976 (Post 16284382)
That is gorgeous. Can you translate grams in to cups or tablespoons by chance?

I have no idea what the conversion would be. There must be a calculator online though?

dmburk 02-28-2013 07:19 AM

1 egg white = 30 grams

protein powder is approx 30 gr per scoop. so maybe a TB= 10 gr?

Mrs S 02-28-2013 08:41 PM

I made this for lunch today and it came out kind of thick and fluffy like naan or flatbread. Wonderful! I think it would be fantastic as a pancake with more sweetener and some cinnamon. Yum! Thanks for sharing this.

Brendajm 03-01-2013 10:44 AM

Is this recipe for one pita or tortilla? are you using liquid egg whites? and could I use pea protein? sorry for all the ???

Yaz 03-01-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendajm (Post 16288529)
Is this recipe for one pita or tortilla? are you using liquid egg whites? and could I use pea protein? sorry for all the ???

I make it as one. I'm sure you could use pea protein, I've never tried though. Will give it a shot next time as I have lots and it's much cheaper than the whey protein I buy.

I use liquid egg whites but I'm sure you could use a whole egg or just the whites from a whole egg. I'm only using the egg whites as a binder, without it the tortilla doesn't stay together. I don't really like an eggy tasting bread so I tend to use egg whites and as little as possible.

If you're making a tortilla and it's puffing up too much, I use a silicone spatula and press down on it to keep it relatively flat and thin.

Brendajm 03-01-2013 12:21 PM

thanks for the info.. I am going to try this soon..