Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Sloppy Joes with Flatbread (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/797972-sloppy-joes-flatbread.html)

MSS726 02-26-2013 02:03 PM

Sloppy Joes with Flatbread

We have this every so often, so I thought I would share. The flatbread (like a pancake) is also good made into grilled cheese sandwiches. This recipe only makes a couple so I always at least double. They are not dry. I serve by topping a flatbread with sloppy joe and top with shredded cheese and green onion, and a side of homemade cole slaw. I would like to give the person that posted these recipes credit, but I forgot where I found them, as it has been a while ago. I did alter a little to suit our taste.

Flatbread (I double this because it doesn't make very much)
In a bowl, I mixed the following together:
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp coconut flour
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp baking powder
2 pinches of sea salt
1/4 cup any kind of milk
*you can add herbs too–it’s really good!
Mix everything and fry sandwich size, about a 1/4 cup, like a pancake.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SLOPPY JOES
1 pound ground chuck
1 small onion, chopped (2 1/2 ounces)
1 clove garlic, minced
8 ounce can tomato sauce
(I also add squirt ketchup, but not necessary)
1/8 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda, or stevia
1/2 teaspoon blackstrap molasses, optional
2 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum, optional
Brown the ground chuck along with the onion and garlic; drain the fat. Add the remaining ingredients, except the xanthan gum. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. If the sauce is too thin, thicken it with a little xanthan gum. Serve on low carb buns or over chopped lettuce (not included in counts).
Makes about 6 servings
Can be frozen
TIP: An easy way to add the xanthan gum is to stir it into the ground beef after you've drained the grease and before you add the remaining ingredients.

buttoni 02-26-2013 05:25 PM

Thanks for sharing your recipes here, Mari. This one sounds real good!

LindaSue 02-27-2013 07:25 AM

Hi Mari. The sloppy Joe recipe is from my website.

millergirl1976 02-27-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSue (Post 16283730)
Hi Mari. The sloppy Joe recipe is from my website.

The flatbread looks good Linda Sue! How would you describe the consistency?

LindaSue 02-27-2013 04:22 PM

I've never made the flat bread, only the sloppy Joes.

MSS726 02-28-2013 01:29 PM

Thanks, Linda Sue. They are now our favorite. The flatbread I found from a blog in which the person was using them for grilled cheese, but I discovered they go great with the sloppy joes. Thanks for the recipe, and sorry I am so bad about remembering where I get the them. I now have Evernote and it tells me where I get the recipe, so the author will get the recognigition from now on. It has definitely been one of my flaws, because I save so many.