Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Please Help with egg white protein powder vs. powdered eggwhites (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/797948-please-help-egg-white-protein-powder-vs-powdered-eggwhites.html)

ravenrose 02-26-2013 08:59 AM

Please Help with egg white protein powder vs. powdered eggwhites

I see a lot of use of powdered eggwhites in flour mixes these days, thanks to Ouiz's flour mixture, I guess. I would like to try this.

I see that you can get a pretty expensive jar of the stuff, but hear that the way to go is a large size container from an emergency supply store. But the shipping! I don't see any locally here. (Marin County, if anyone has an idea on that.)

Now, looking at the NOW brand Egg White Protein Powder, I see that it seems to be plain egg white powder, just the same as the other product. Does anyone have a comparison of these products, the NOW with one that's just called powdered egg whites? I want the texture/lift improvements people talk about and don't want to waste money on a honking big container of something that's just nutritionally the same but not functionally the same!

I am NOT getting it for extra protein; that's the last thing I need or want! LOL

Here the El Deb product is $15.99 for 8 ounces while the NOW is $14.99 for 1.2 lb. Pretty big diff.

MSS726 02-26-2013 10:36 AM

I never thought of it, and was going to order the powdered egg whites, since I also can't find them locally, other than bulk in bake shops, but just checked my Jay Robb Egg White Protein (vanilla), and the ingredients are: egg albumin, xylitol, natural flavor, xanthan gum, lecithin, and stevia.

I wonder if it would be a little heavier, resulting in a heavier textured result? If I remember right, I thought you could whip powdered egg whites, but not so sure you could whip the protein powder. Interesting....

rosethorns 02-26-2013 10:39 AM

RR check out honeyville . I ordered egg white powder for $27.72 for #10 can .

ravenrose 02-26-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16281948)
RR check out honeyville . I ordered egg white powder for $27.72 for #10 can .

yes, I saw that. it's a bit less per ounce than the NOW, but requires a larger commitment when I don't know whether I'll like it. thanks and I will consider it. (I looked again and there is shipping on top of that, which makes the per ounce more equal to the NOW)

Ginaaaaaa 02-26-2013 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just mixed up a big batch of flour mix using the now egg whites and it works as well as the just whites. No funny tastes, but its weird because when I first started making Ouis's mix I tried the now egg whites and thought it gave it a funny taste but I ran out if the just whites so I decided to try it again and I see no difference in taste, so maybe it was something else I was using.

I just made a muffin this morning with cinnamon and blueberry flavoring and it was fabulous!

Callieco 02-26-2013 12:04 PM

I've used Meringue powder that I got in a cake decorating store - probably repackaged Wilton's and it comes in small sizes for about $4. You can also get it at craft stores like Joanns and Michaels in larger sizes for about $8. I've used bulk powdered egg whites that I got at Bob's Red Mill. Don't think that's available packaged. And my very first batch I used the really expensive one from the grocery store -Debbie something?. I haven't noticed any difference at all in the end results of the things I've made.

My sister, who hates eggs, can taste everyone of the different brands and dislikes them equally.

PaminKY 02-26-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callieco (Post 16282125)
I've used Meringue powder that I got in a cake decorating store - probably repackaged Wilton's and it comes in small sizes for about $4. You can also get it at craft stores like Joanns and Michaels in larger sizes for about $8. I've used bulk powdered egg whites that I got at Bob's Red Mill. Don't think that's available packaged. And my very first batch I used the really expensive one from the grocery store -Debbie something?. I haven't noticed any difference at all in the end results of the things I've made.

My sister, who hates eggs, can taste everyone of the different brands and dislikes them equally.

The Wilton meringue powder has sugar added so you might want to check the one you bought.

So far I've used the Deb-El since it was the easiest to find for me but the first few times I tried this mix I used real egg whites and it worked fine. I even had the Deb-El on hand but wanted to use up some egg whites. For the original mix I used two egg whites instead of the egg white powder. I've also used the egg whites in a carton.

I did see at a local chocolate shop that they sold albumin powder and I've been planning on getting some of that to try.

I also have some powdered whole egg, anybody tried that?

Callieco 02-26-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaminKY (Post 16282174)
The Wilton meringue powder has sugar added so you might want to check the one you bought.

Must not have been Wilton then. No sugar. They repackage it under the cake shop's label so not sure what brand it is.

I don't have the package because I used it all but it was for making royal icing and I think that it must have been powdered albumen maybe with some cream of tarter.

rosethorns 02-26-2013 01:21 PM

I have powdered whole egg too. I haven't tried it Pam. I'll have to try it.

I used regular egg white too , on my first one.

ravenrose 02-26-2013 02:04 PM

thanks for all the input, everyone!

I know some people think the powdered is better than liquid eggwhites, and some use it as an additional ingredient and use eggs too! I am all for experimentation, but it's like the protein powder, it seems like a big leap of faith the first time to order it. I know I bought some real losers in the low carb baking arena, AKA Carbalose, etc.

perhaps I should go to the cake decorating store and get a small amount. good idea. and check out those hideously expensive little LorAnn flavorings whilst I am there! LOL

Ginaaaaaa 02-26-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16282395)
thanks for all the input, everyone!

I know some people think the powdered is better than liquid eggwhites, and some use it as an additional ingredient and use eggs too! I am all for experimentation, but it's like the protein powder, it seems like a big leap of faith the first time to order it. I know I bought some real losers in the low carb baking arena, AKA Carbalose, etc.

perhaps I should go to the cake decorating store and get a small amount. good idea. and check out those hideously expensive little LorAnn flavorings whilst I am there! LOL

I think I'm going to buy the NOW Egg White Protein Powder from now on, the only ingredient is egg white powder and its more economical and works the same as the Deb El Just Whites. I can buy it at netrition too so I can just order it when I make my monthly order.

I like using the powered egg whites because its convenient, when using the mix I just measure out the amount I want to use and add sweeteners, flavorings and liquids.

I do think its a good idea to buy a small amount to see if you like it or not first though.

ravenrose 02-26-2013 02:34 PM

the thing is, I like egg yolks too! don't really want to eliminate that... I was planning to use real eggs in addition to the powder... this might be silly. hmmm

Ginaaaaaa 02-26-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16282456)
the thing is, I like egg yolks too! don't really want to eliminate that... I was planning to use real eggs in addition to the powder... this might be silly. hmmm

Not at all, my cake recipe uses the mix with the egg whites and 3 eggs as well. I think the mix with the egg whites is good because you can make quick muffins and cakes and you can also use it in recipes with whole eggs.

rosethorns 02-26-2013 02:43 PM

I like the lift the egg white powder gives.

RR you will be amazed by this mix. I'm having wonderful fun with it.

ravenrose 02-26-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa (Post 16282472)
Not at all, my cake recipe uses the mix with the egg whites and 3 eggs as well. I think the mix with the egg whites is good because you can make quick muffins and cakes and you can also use it in recipes with whole eggs.

I already use whey protein isolate and eggs. Ya think this would be a positive addition? I wonder if it doesn't act a lot like the whey protein...

Ginaaaaaa 02-26-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16282486)
I already use whey protein isolate and eggs. Ya think this would be a positive addition? I wonder if it doesn't act a lot like the whey protein...

The mix that I use has whey protein and egg whites, when I make my microwave cakes and muffins I dont add any eggs. I'm not sure how the mix would work without the egg white, I haven't tried it without them but if your adding eggs with the whey you probably wouldn't need to use the egg white powder in your mix.

tulipsandroses 02-27-2013 06:58 PM

Hi Raven, I was in Whole Foods today picking up a few things and saw that they had the NOW egg white powder. Decided to pick it up and try out the mix so many are talking about. I have been hesitant to try this mix because by now I know what I like and things using ingredients I'm not fond of are usually a no go. I don't like things baked with protein powder. Oddly enough, I don't mind protein shakes but baked goods with protein powder just have a weird taste to me. Oat fiber added to products always result in a very dry product to me. Coconut flour, the one thing that I have success with it is Lauren's Red Velvet Cake. So looking at the ingredients, I already had a feeling this is not something I would like. Anyhoo, despite my better judgment I saw the egg white powder today and bought it and tried a few of the recipes posted.

I'm happy though that others have found great success with this mix but taste wise it does not do it for me at all. I'm just not a fan of things made with protein powder. Having said all that, what others have said about the rise is true. I have never used the deb el powdered egg whites so I can't make the comparison but with the NOW egg white protein powder the things I made expanded like nothing else I've ever made.

So now my dilemma is how to use up this container of egg white powder.:annoyed:

ravenrose 02-27-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tulipsandroses (Post 16285153)
Hi Raven, I was in Whole Foods today picking up a few things and saw that they had the NOW egg white powder. Decided to pick it up and try out the mix so many are talking about. I have been hesitant to try this mix because by now I know what I like and things using ingredients I'm not fond of are usually a no go. I don't like things baked with protein powder. Oddly enough, I don't mind protein shakes but baked goods with protein powder just have a weird taste to me. Oat fiber added to products always result in a very dry product to me. Coconut flour, the one thing that I have success with it is Lauren's Red Velvet Cake. So looking at the ingredients, I already had a feeling this is not something I would like. Anyhoo, despite my better judgment I saw the egg white powder today and bought it and tried a few of the recipes posted.

I'm happy though that others have found great success with this mix but taste wise it does not do it for me at all. I'm just not a fan of things made with protein powder. Having said all that, what others have said about the rise is true. I have never used the deb el powdered egg whites so I can't make the comparison but with the NOW egg white protein powder the things I made expanded like nothing else I've ever made.

So now my dilemma is how to use up this container of egg white powder.:annoyed:

I know we all have different tastes, but I don't understand how you can find oat fiber and protein powder problematic. On the other hand, coconut flour? I just don't understand why people use this! And almond flour is very difficult.

Anyway, when you start with flax meal, the oat fiber and whey protein isolate make a wonderful combo. I hope the egg white powder enhances it.

Soobee 02-28-2013 06:09 AM

TulipsandRoses, why don't you try the BTF mix without protein powder? Or perhaps you are like my husband, who can't stand whey protein but loves pea protein, which by the way, makes a much moister product.

rosethorns 02-28-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soobee (Post 16285765)
TulipsandRoses, why don't you try the BTF mix without protein powder? Or perhaps you are like my husband, who can't stand whey protein but loves pea protein, which by the way, makes a much moister product.

Yes I've always used pea protein because I'm allergic to dairy. There is somebody uses it with no protein powder. I was very leary of another mix because the high cost of ingredients.

It took me a lonnnng time to try it.

tulipsandroses 02-28-2013 07:33 AM

I just ordered some lupin flour so I'll see if I can use it with the egg white powder. I may try the pea protein if I happen to see a small container somewhere. The container does say you can use it in cooking anywhere you use egg whites so I need to find some recipes with egg whites to use it up.

lterry913 03-01-2013 09:19 AM

The place I get my large quantity of almond flour ships large containers of egg white powder also and they have flat rate shipping of 4.95 and also send offers for 15 to 20 percent off entire order at least 4 times a year. I don't think I can mention their name as every time I do get a slap on the hand, it is the same place That Maria gets her almond flour from for her healthified sub bread. let me know if there is any way I can get the name to you or if you already know.

elainesmith 03-01-2013 02:54 PM

I have used both Deb El and Now Egg white protein. I can't tell any difference in them as to taste, smell or texture/rise of their baked goodies.

If I smell them, they both could smell "unpleasant"!!! LOL

Just try whatever you can get the cheapest...it's like all those AS, I have in my cabinet! You name it and I have it and I don't like any of their tastes but EZ Sweetz!

I know you cant do it with chocolate but

Go figure....

MSS726 03-01-2013 08:54 PM

Zevia and Carbs

OOPS, accidentally posted on the wrong thread and had to correct! Wouldn't let me delete. Need to go to bed. Sorry!

watcher513 03-02-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16288469)
The place I get my large quantity of almond flour ships large containers of egg white powder also and they have flat rate shipping of 4.95 and also send offers for 15 to 20 percent off entire order at least 4 times a year. I don't think I can mention their name as every time I do get a slap on the hand, it is the same place That Maria gets her almond flour from for her healthified sub bread. let me know if there is any way I can get the name to you or if you already know.

See post #3.