Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceanlover66
WOE: low carb
Carbalose?

I know there are many, many, many types of flour out there(Almond, rice,coconut etc) But would Carbalose be a better choice? Meaning, can you substitute Carbalose Flour in place of white flour? Would Carbalose be better then buying individual flours like I mentioned? (Trying to keep costs down)I am going to purchase Carbquick, as I know that is really good for biscuits, pancakes etc. But I would like a "flour" for baking. Cakes etc. Is this what I am looking for?
oceanlover66 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: The Chicken Lady
Stats: Type 2 Diabetic
WOE: High Fat Low Carb Diet
Start Date: July 5th 2008
Everyone's tastes are a bit different so that is a hard question to answer...what tastes good to me may not taste good to you. I tried the Carbalose and I hated it but others seem to like it.

I'm retired and since I'm not old enough to get Social Security yet I am living on my work pension alone, so I also have to be very careful of my food budget. I personally like almond flour and that is all I use in the way of flour to bake with.

I use coconut flour and eggs and a filler / binder for things like salmon patties and meat loaf.

As for frying, a mixture of almond flour and Parm cheese makes a very nice breading.

To thicken sauces I use a small amount of cornstarch.

For puddings and custards I use egg yolks and half and half.

For cream pie fillings I use egg yolks and half and half mixed with a minute amount of cornstarch... but just egg yolks for lemon pie or lemon bars.

For pan gravy to go with a fried piece of meat I just pour some cream in a small amount of the pan drippings and reduce it until it's as thick as I like. It makes a really good gravy.

Low carb doesn't need to be expensive.

Last edited by The Chicken Lady; 02-25-2013 at 12:41 PM..
The Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
oddly enough, people seem to find that Carbquik is a better flour substitute. Completely ignoring the supposed addition of leavening, etc. it can sub about cup for cup for carbalose and has, what? less than half the carbs? I forget but something like that. carbalose is just not very useful.

having said that, I don't like carbquik much either.

both have a bad taste, but carbalose is worse, to me.

Last edited by ravenrose; 02-25-2013 at 04:13 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jlp2009
I haven't used Carbquick because it is more expensive than Carbalose and my understanding was that the only difference was the leavening and some sort of fat
I think to make it act like Bisquick. Could the fat be why it has less carbs? I don't know, maybe I should check the carb count on both a bit closer....
but to answer your question, I'm not sure just one "flour" will do everything. I personally love homemade yeast bread and the only recipes that I have found that work FOR ME are Kevin's and they use Carbalose (along with a few other specialty flour subs). I like the taste so no problems for me with that.
I have intestinal issue with other flour substitutes like flax, gluc, oat fiber.
Almond flour works in many recipes other than yeast-types, but is very calorically dense and I have portion control issues so I mix it with other less dense flours.
I guess the bottom line is to find what tastes best to you for the majority of the cooking/baking that you do.
I know that isn't much help is it? Sorry.
jlp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyjo
WOE: low carb
Start Date: restart 8/08
I agree that Carbalose has a very different flavor, and many people find it "twangy". There are a couple applications I use it for and really like. I dredge my chicken and chicken livers in it for frying, and the taste is covered with Cavendars Greek seasoning, my go to for fried chicken parts. I use a small amount of it in things like beef Stroganoff where it is again covered by the rest of the ingredients. My recipe for pumpkin bread and molasses cookies includes this but are heavy on cinnamon, cloves, etc and doesn't give a funky flavor. I have a bag of Carbquik I have had forever, probably should dump it as I have not found anything I like with it.

YMMV, try it and you may find lots of things to use it in.

christyjo
christyjo is offline   Reply With Quote