Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Finally made a good gravy... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/797817-finally-made-good-gravy.html)

piratejenny 02-24-2013 01:45 PM

Finally made a good gravy...

...using chickpea (garbanzo) flour!

The thickening power was amazing. I toasted 1 tablespoon of flour in a dry pan, then added chicken fat & water; I added water a couple more times to see whether it would get too thin, but it kept thickening up.

I was only trying to make a little batch, but I ended up with over a cup of gravy....only ate half. So, approx 2g carb for a really generous serving, enough to drown 2 chicken thighs!

I used "poultry seasoning" (sage & stuff), onion powder (toasted it for just a few seconds), & Better Than Bouillon paste for flavor.

Also--NO LUMPS!!!
It just doesn't lump together the way wheat flour does.
It was very smooth...like hummus! :laugh:

I know I'd made chickpea flour gravy about 8 years ago, when I had a job as a vegetarian chef,
but I forgot all about it! :doh:

Nutritional info:
1/4 cup=110 calories
2g fat
18g carb (- 5g fiber = 13g net carb)
6g protein

Compared to wheat flour:
1/4 cup= 110 calories
0g fat
23g carb (less than 1g fiber)
3g protein

Side note:
I also tried resistant corn starch, which I ordered a long time ago but haven't really figured out how to use. I knew before I started that it doesn't thicken up sauces like regular cornstarch, but I wanted to see if it tasted better toasted. So I toasted it in a dry pan, added some chicken fat & bouillon, then put it aside while I tried the chickpea flour.

It was wonderful--it crunched like those little crispy bits in the pan after you fry or roast meat! Very unexpected! I combined some of both batches for Gravy #3. Not sure on the carb counts on that...still nervous about experimenting with RCS. Would like to more info/recipes, if anyone can help.

buttoni 02-25-2013 12:52 PM

I've made gravy using this before, too, and really liked the result. You know what else chickpea flour is good for, Jenny? A wee bit in a cauliflower "hummus" does wonders toward fooling the taste buds into thinking the recipe was made entirely with whole chick peas and not cauliflower. I suspect that would hold true with other mock hummus ingredients, but I've only done it in my cauli hummus. But you only get a FEW net carbs using just 1 T. of the flour..... not the massive carbs in a batch made with all chick peas. :)

piratejenny 02-25-2013 01:56 PM

Good idea! :up:

Wishin 03-01-2013 09:58 AM

Thanks, I have been looking for a good gravy recipe.

Jakelilydad 03-01-2013 04:11 PM

I like a bit of chickpea flour in flaxseed/parmesan crackers... gives them a more "wheat-y" taste. I like the idea of toasting it first, though... have to try that next batch!