Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Any Whey Low reviews? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/797806-any-whey-low-reviews.html)

miboje 02-24-2013 09:30 AM

Any Whey Low sweetener reviews?

Has anyone used Whey Low, and what did you think of it if so? The price is very good when buying in bulk, like $4 a pound for 25 lbs. I did a forum search, but I didn't find any references to it. They don't sell it on Netrition.

Thanks!

gharkness 02-24-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miboje (Post 16277699)
Has anyone used Whey Low, and what did you think of it if so? The price is very good when buying in bulk, like $4 a pound for 25 lbs. I did a forum search, but I didn't find any references to it. They don't sell it on Netrition.

Thanks!

Well, OK, you asked, so: Whey Low tastes wonderful. But there's a reason for it - it's sugar. Oh they doctor it up with something special and fancy to "remove most of the calories," but if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell ya :)

I did actually buy some of this, and yes it tasted good, baked well, just like sugar. Did I mention - it is actually sugar? Finally ended up throwing it away. (This is probably why Netrition doesn't sell it.)

ETA, from their site:

"This healthful, patented blend of fruit sugar, table sugar, and milk sugar" and I have looked but haven't yet found a nutritional information label (maybe I just haven't found it yet.)

miboje 02-24-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gharkness (Post 16277951)
Well, OK, you asked, so: Whey Low tastes wonderful. But there's a reason for it - it's sugar. Oh they doctor it up with something special and fancy to "remove most of the calories," but if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell ya :)

I did actually buy some of this, and yes it tasted good, baked well, just like sugar. Did I mention - it is actually sugar? Finally ended up throwing it away. (This is probably why Netrition doesn't sell it.)

ETA, from their site:

"This healthful, patented blend of fruit sugar, table sugar, and milk sugar" and I have looked but haven't yet found a nutritional information label (maybe I just haven't found it yet.)

Hmmm...well, that's not good! Darn. :>/
Thank you for the reply.

crazywoman-n-wy 02-26-2013 11:13 AM

What Georgene said is true,,,, It is sugar. They say so on their site.

That being said, I know low carbers (and diabetics) who have used it with success for years. I also have heard of some who found it did indeed for them act as sugar.

For me the verdict is still out. I do have some, and do use it on occasion, but I'm not sure if I really trust it to do what it says.
But again, I know some people who use it, and love it. I know a couple of women who use it exclusively as their sweetener, and swear by it.

miboje 02-26-2013 11:29 AM

Thank you for the reply, crazywoman-n-wy. I wonder why they are calling it an "alternative sweetener" if it's still just sugar. If that's the case, it seems misleading. I would ever consider sugar an alternative sweetener.

crazywoman-n-wy 02-26-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miboje (Post 16282071)
Thank you for the reply, crazywoman-n-wy. I wonder why they are calling it an "alternative sweetener" if it's still just sugar. If that's the case, it seems misleading. I would ever consider sugar an alternative sweetener.

I certainly can't explain it. They basically don't consider it "sugar". It is isn't "sugar" as we know sugar. I don't think it would be considered sucrose. It is a blend of natural sugars, which they claim when combined the way they combine them eliminates most of the calories & carbs (or at least alters the effective (net?) carbs. I certainly can't explain it, and not sure how much I believe it. YOU would have to go to their site and read what they have to say about it..
I'm not supporting them, or condemning them. Like I said, for me the verdict is still out.

https://www.wheylow.com/v/vspfiles/t...n-2lb-gran.jpg

Do a search on here. There have been discussions on it here before.

miboje 02-26-2013 03:42 PM

I did a search of this subforum before I posted. My results included the words "whey" and "low" but not those two words together. Maybe the results are several pages back, though, and I didn't really feel like checking every single post since the results I was looking through on the first page weren't accurate. I'lll try an advanced search later. Maybe that'll help.

I looked over Whey Low's website and didn't really come away with a clear explanation of what Whey Low is, only this it is a sugar derived from milk.

jlp2009 02-26-2013 06:49 PM

I might have been duped because I bought it twice actually. It acts and tastes exactly like the sugar that it is. Wouldn't the FDA or some agency get involved if they are blatantly falsely advertising the nutritional content?
I do tend to have more sweet cravings if I use it alone. To use it up (I won't waste anything!) I am mixing it with other sweeteners to decrease the carb count just in case.

Ginaaaaaa 02-26-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy (Post 16282230)
I certainly can't explain it. They basically don't consider it "sugar". It is isn't "sugar" as we know sugar. I don't think it would be considered sucrose. It is a blend of natural sugars, which they claim when combined the way they combine them eliminates most of the calories & carbs (or at least alters the effective (net?) carbs. I certainly can't explain it, and not sure how much I believe it. YOU would have to go to their site and read what they have to say about it..
I'm not supporting them, or condemning them. Like I said, for me the verdict is still out.

https://www.wheylow.com/v/vspfiles/t...n-2lb-gran.jpg

Do a search on here. There have been discussions on it here before.

It has the same amount of carbs and sugar per tsp as sugar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlp2009 (Post 16282918)
I might have been duped because I bought it twice actually. It acts and tastes exactly like the sugar that it is. Wouldn't the FDA or some agency get involved if they are blatantly falsely advertising the nutritional content?
I do tend to have more sweet cravings if I use it alone. To use it up (I won't waste anything!) I am mixing it with other sweeteners to decrease the carb count just in case.

If you look at the nutritional information above it has the same amount of carbs and sugar as sugar. Sugar is made of sucralose and whey low is made from fructose. They have the same amount of carbs and sugar, so there's really no difference and I'm not sure why you think the company is falsely advertising the nutritional content. It shows on the chart the carbs, sugar nutrition and ingredients.

Unless I'm missing something somewhere it just seems as though you didn't realize that fructose is another form of sugar.

gharkness 02-27-2013 03:03 AM

Companies like Whey Low and Dreamfield's love to capitalize on the propensity of people to believe in magic.

There just isn't any, and the government (FBA) isn't going to save us from bad labeling, either.

The company did everything they could to mitigate the fact that what they are selling is sugar (and BTW crystalline fructose, the first ingredient, is MUCH worse for you than the sucrose/glucose mixture you find in table sugar, because it is a major culprit in fatty liver disease), but in the end they had to admit: it's sugar.

Dottie 02-27-2013 11:42 AM

If I recall(and it's been many years so I could be wrong) but sugar busters promoted the use of fructose claiming it was lower glycemic than sugar.

PaminKY 02-27-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16284346)
If I recall(and it's been many years so I could be wrong) but sugar busters promoted the use of fructose claiming it was lower glycemic than sugar.

Fructose is lower glycemic because it is metabolized in the liver and is a major contributor to fatty liver disease. Frutose, HFCS, Agave Nectar, crystalline fructose are things you should stay away from.

Years ago I bought into the hype of Whey Low but after doing more research it all got tossed in the garbage.