Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Fried Radishes! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/797758-fried-radishes.html)

MSS726 02-23-2013 01:19 PM

Fried Radishes!

Before today, I have only had them in salads. Maybe most of you have tried them, but today was my first time. I bought a large bag at Aldi's and remembered reading someplace about frying them. I happened to have bacon grease, so sliced and fried in the grease till browned, then added some finely chopped scallions and sauteed lightly, with salt and pepper. These were fantastic and tasted nothing like I thought. No radish taste to them at all. My new veggie love. They would be great for breakfast, also.

Redeemed 02-23-2013 02:27 PM

Radishes are high in potassium and vit. C. I boil radishes and make faux potatoe salad.They make a great sub for potatoes.

crazywoman-n-wy 02-23-2013 04:24 PM

I fried radishes for Dinner (noon meal) today myself!! I fried mine in bacon grease, butter, and coconut oil. I chopped red onions (what I have right now) and started them cooking while I sliced the radishes. Then added the radishes & fried them (kinda like cottage fries, 'cept the radishes were sliced).

I've used radishes as the "potatoes" in beef stew/soup. I may put a roast in the crock pot tonight for tomorrows dinner, and may add radishes to it. Think I just might do that!

tulipsandroses 02-23-2013 05:56 PM

Got some in the oven right now cooking away in duck fat. If you can get your hands on some duck fat, it will be well worth it. I'm addicted to radishes cooked in duck fat. I already liked fried or oven roasted radishes but when I tried it with duck fat, it blew my mind. Sooo deelish!

buttoni 02-23-2013 07:42 PM

I LOVE them fried with yellow onion in bacon grease. Taste almost like hash browns to me that way.

marieze 02-23-2013 10:54 PM

Do you peel them first or just wash them and slice them? What are the net carbs if you know?

lazy girl 02-24-2013 06:23 AM

I add raw radishes to tuna salad. So good and with a crunchy texture.

Redeemed 02-24-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marieze (Post 16277175)
Do you peel them first or just wash them and slice them? What are the net carbs if you know?

No, I don't peel them. Just cut the ends off a little if they are not already prepped in the bag. When they are boiled or fried, the outer skin gets soft. I think the last bag of radishes I had said about 2 net carbs for 7 radishes. You can cut them in half or quarter them for frying. I cut them in half for boiling when making faux potatoe salad.

buttoni 02-24-2013 07:47 AM

I don't peel mine either. I even like whole radishes thrown into beef stew. It's almost like having potatoes in the stew.

ravenrose 02-24-2013 11:01 AM

yes! I keep forgetting this. I find they are best in winter, when I can get nice fat ones. sometimes later in the year they get much more peppery.

Yaz 02-24-2013 06:59 PM

I tried these for dinner tonight, OMDog! They are awesome! Who needs potatoes, these are so much better!

marieze 02-24-2013 07:55 PM

Allright, looks like I'm going to have to be the odd woman out on this! Here's what I thought of them :sick: sorry, I know that was immature but I love using the little icons :D

I did try sauteed cabbage in bacon fat and found that to be outstanding! And while I personally don't like the radishes, I'm glad you all are loving them....it's always great to add to ones' low carb arsenal!!

crazywoman-n-wy 02-25-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marieze (Post 16278672)
Allright, looks like I'm going to have to be the odd woman out on this! Here's what I thought of them :sick: sorry, I know that was immature but I love using the little icons :D

I did try sauteed cabbage in bacon fat and found that to be outstanding! And while I personally don't like the radishes, I'm glad you all are loving them....it's always great to add to ones' low carb arsenal!!

Hey marieze, we all have different tastes!!! We don't all like the same things. As a matter of fact, there are a LOT of foods that others rave about that are :sick: too me!!! Parmesan cheese is one of those!! :sick: That is literally how I feel about Parm cheese!!! (I saw your :sick:& raised ya one. :laugh:)

chocolate_cheri 03-01-2013 10:43 PM

I love fried radishes. I add a little onion some times to make moch hash browns . when you cook them the red coloring goes away , they are also great in stews. and great with crock pot roasts. Daikon is my new favorite radish!

bettycooker 03-02-2013 05:39 AM

Thank you so much for this post!! I have found a potato substitute that I love. I find I like them roasted in a 400 degree oven for 20 min. I just toss them in olive oil and salt. No need to add pepper. They keep a slight peppery taste. The second way is boiled for 15-20 min. and mash with butter. I also tried making some boiled cut up radishes into a fake potato salad...yum! I was always cheating with just a "taste" of potatoes. Not anymore. I lost 3 pounds this week, I'm sure the cooked radishes are the secret to get me back on track. Told my daughter about this and she loves them too. Thanks again.